It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Appointment with Pain Management Psychologist Question

Hello,

I have been a patient of pain management for approx 2 years, ever since I had my ankle fused and 2 separate cases of osteomyelitis. Finally, at my last pain management appointment, I accepted the fact that my pain in my ankle and my toe are not just short term pain. I will likely feel this pain for a long time if not the rest of my life.

I am tired of being on medication. I am currently on the extended release and breakthorugh pain forms of oxy. I asked my pain mgmt dr if we could entertain the ideas of some alternative forms of managing my pain. She was excited and happy that I did not want to rely on narcotics forever, but she said I have to see a pain management psychologist before we could start trying other methods.

My questions are:

Have any of you been to see a pain psychologist? If so, was it helpful? Can you give me an idea of what to expect? What was the result or outcome of your visit? Have you tried any alternative methods? If so, did they work?

Any input you can provide will be appreciated. I am really frustrated and disappointed that my pain is as bad as it was before my ankle fusion if not worse.

Thank you!

Step

Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: Appointment with Pain Management Psychologist Question

I see a psychiatrist and psychologist for BiPolar II Disorder, but my psychologist also specializes in chronic pain so she also helps me with my chronic pain. She teaches me relaxation therapies, alternative therapies to help deal with the pain. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not it really just depends on where i'm at "mentally" that day and how bad the pain is. It doesn't hurt to try, you're certainly not going to lose anything by doing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: Appointment with Pain Management Psychologist Question

Hi Step:

My PM clinic required that I see their "resident" Pain Psychologist. It's actually part of the process of being accepted as a patient at their clinic. I took the MMPI, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory which is a common test given in Mental Health. The purpose of doing it was to sort of make sure that you are not "faking" and therefore one who will divert meds, make sure you are in true pain, see if you are depressed, have anxiety, etc. It is difficult to fool the test as it's either a 360 or 567 item mutliple choice tests that asks many of the same questions just in different ways to see how you answer them.

I didn't mind taking the test at all, I felt it was just another tool to assess my overall needs as a chronic pain patient.

Later, in the course of my treatment, I actually requested to start seening the Psychologist once a month, as I began to struggle with acceptance, and had adjustment issues.

Good luck to you. Hope this helps answer your question.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Closed Thread