It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

LeeLee812 HB User
Question Need some Advise From people that REALLY KNOW about Methadone/ Suboxone

I have been on High doses of Methadone perscribed to me by Pain Managment for the past 5 years due to a neck injury, before that I was on every thing from one Pain med to another until they put me on Methadone. Well I went to the Dr. yesterday, I moved and had to find a new Dr. well... He wants to put me on Suboxone, I would have to go into the Hospitol for 24hrs. Detox, and also told me that, that is the only way he could start me on that Suboxone. My question is... Should I do that or not? I know one time someone give me one of their pills to put under my tounge when I had been on my methdone and still had alot in my system I had just not taken my morning dose of Methadone, and did that pill ofSuboxone instead and I thought I was going to DIE!! It was like (The way you feel when you are about into your 5 or 6th day of withdraws only 10times worse all at once) I honestly thought I was going to die! It lasted for about 3 hours I mean it was BAD!! I dont know how many mgs. it was, but it was orange and after I let it disolve, about 15mins. later it hit me like a Ton Of Bricks!!! I just wonder if I go about it the way the Dr. is explaining to me they will be watching me close and I am sure they know what they are doing,but I would like to know if there is anyone out there that is reading this, that has switched over from Methadone to Suboxone, and how did it work, or working for them, also... I do not have insurance and I know that it is Very Costly I just wondered if I am better off to just find a Dr. to keep me on Methadone? It is hard to find a Dr. here because I am new to the area and they don't like giving it because of all the Dumb *** Holes that Abused it and all the Overdoses. Even though I have been perscribed it for 5 years Some people treat you So RUDE and don't understand how sick you get without it! I would LOVE some FEED BACK on this Thank You So Much!! Everyone Have A Great Day At Least Try To. This is my first time on here I just signed up last nite, So hopefully I can get some help from some of you and I will be glad to help in any way I can if possible. Peace LeeLee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: Need some Advise From people that REALLY KNOW about Methadone/ Suboxone

Hello there LeeLee!!

Welcome to the board.

I was on methadone once but I can not tell you anything about the suboxone.

What I am wondering is if the Methadone is working for you?

If it is working for you then why would any Doc want to change it?

It is unfortunate that some people out there who abuse different meds inturn make it harder for those who are not, to recieve them as part of treatment.

Since your new to the area I can suggest a few things. Not sure if they will help but here goes...

If I were you and the methadone WAS working for me, I would try to have my old Pian Doc try to personally talk with the new PM so that possibly the new doc can have some light shed on you care. Same thing if you decide to go to a different new PM in your area.

If the Methadone was not helping me, I would be willing to try other things just to see if they may work better.

I did not abuse my meds either and when I detoxed from the methadone I really did not have any symptoms of detoxing until about 48 hours in. Methadone has that very long half life.

There are many many people on this board that may have better or more info for you so please stick around and see what happens.

Anyway, welcome to the meeting place af all us Chronic painer's. I have an ongoing injury with my neck also and my be facing another surgery very soon. Please hang out and get to know the people and share your story. I find so much support here. The people on this forum are such loving and kind people.

Chrissy

Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

LEELEE:
Welcome to the boards as well from me. I wanted to let you know that the reason you had the BAD reaction with the Suboxone when you were taking Methadone is that it causes INSTANT WITHDRAWAL. This is why you can not take any other narcotic medication with the Suboxone. The Suboxone contains buprenerophine & naltrexone. The bup is a partial agonist/antagonist & the naltrexone is a full antagonist. The means that this medication will cause the narotic pain receptors to release any narcotic medication currently there and it is replaced with the Suboxone. No wonder you felt like cr*p since it through you into instant withdrawal. PLEASE DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN.

I think you might have to give the Suboxone a try although it does have a ceiling limit, meaning there is a certain dose, I think 32mg that if you go any higher, it does not have a greater pain effect but only more severe side effects. The decision is yours but I hope that you have some people around you to support you. The reason you have to be in the hospital is because you HAVE TO BE IN WITHDRAWAL before they start the Suboxone but once they start it you should feel the withdrawal go away. Keep us posted on your decision and what happens.

brian

Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
(male)

jimo1120 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee812 View Post
I have been on High doses of Methadone perscribed to me by Pain Managment for the past 5 years due to a neck injury, before that I was on every thing from one Pain med to another until they put me on Methadone. Well I went to the Dr. yesterday, I moved and had to find a new Dr. well... He wants to put me on Suboxone, I would have to go into the Hospitol for 24hrs. Detox, and also told me that, that is the only way he could start me on that Suboxone. My question is... Should I do that or not? I know one time someone give me one of their pills to put under my tounge when I had been on my methdone and still had alot in my system I had just not taken my morning dose of Methadone, and did that pill ofSuboxone instead and I thought I was going to DIE!! It was like (The way you feel when you are about into your 5 or 6th day of withdraws only 10times worse all at once) I honestly thought I was going to die! It lasted for about 3 hours I mean it was BAD!! I dont know how many mgs. it was, but it was orange and after I let it disolve, about 15mins. later it hit me like a Ton Of Bricks!!! I just wonder if I go about it the way the Dr. is explaining to me they will be watching me close and I am sure they know what they are doing,but I would like to know if there is anyone out there that is reading this, that has switched over from Methadone to Suboxone, and how did it work, or working for them, also... I do not have insurance and I know that it is Very Costly I just wondered if I am better off to just find a Dr. to keep me on Methadone? It is hard to find a Dr. here because I am new to the area and they don't like giving it because of all the Dumb *** Holes that Abused it and all the Overdoses. Even though I have been perscribed it for 5 years Some people treat you So RUDE and don't understand how sick you get without it! I would LOVE some FEED BACK on this Thank You So Much!! Everyone Have A Great Day At Least Try To. This is my first time on here I just signed up last nite, So hopefully I can get some help from some of you and I will be glad to help in any way I can if possible. Peace LeeLee
The reason you felt so bad on suboxone is because, your suppose to be into withdrawls for approx 24 hrs., before you take it. I've been on it for about a year. The first time I took it, it did the same for me. Got it from someone at work, didn't know about having to be into withdrawls for awhile, and started getting major hot flashes and so forth. When I decided to go to a doctor and get on it, it was about 6 months later, and I didn't realize, it was the same stuff. Then when I read the directions, I realized that I had taking it wrong. Waited for approx 20 hrs., couldn't take it anymore, took 4 mgs instead of the prescribed 8 mgs, because I heard it was also very addicting. Within about 20-30 mins, I felt great. (I was paying approx $900 to $1000 for oxycotton and hydrocodone a month on the street, before I got on it).
I don't know why your doctor wants you in the hospital for a day, this is usually an outpatient treatment.
I have found out, since being on suboxone, that it is stonger than your think. (I read 10 times stronger than hydrocodone). The major difference between suboxone and meth is, you can eventually taper off subox. I started on 4 mgs, and about a year later, I take a 2 mg subox pill, and split it into about 10 days worth. If I don't take any now, I don't have major withdrawls, I just don't feel like doing much, no ambition to get out of my chair and get anything done, but hopefully soon, I can totally quit.
I hope this helped you out. jo
A little advise, don't start on more than 8 mgs.

Last edited by jimo1120; 04-19-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I'm with Chrissy on this.

If the methadone is working for you then why change? I suspect the doc is driving this? I would remain on the meth unless forced to change.

The hospital is a good thing. Especially if you are going to start suboxone after methadone. Methadone remains the the body's tissues for quite some time. Suboxone kicks the meth out of the opioid receptors and replaces it with itself, throwing you into withdrawal. Bet then, because meth is stored in the body's tissues it eventually reasserts itself, and at the next suboxone dose the battle starts anew. This repeats itself until the meth is totally out of your body, which takes a number of days. The preferred method is to be in withdrawals for some time before starting suboxone. But that's hard to do with meth because it stays so long in the body. Going from a high meth dose to suboxone in 24 hours is IMHO a bad idea. It would be best to be off of meth for at least a few days before starting the suboxone, and the hospital is still a good idea. They can supplement you with meds you are unable to get OTC.

Try to remain on meth if it works. Good luck.

steve

Old 04-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

The reason you got SO SICK off Sub is that you had methadone in your stytem still. Even though you didn't take your morning dose, the methadone was still in your body as it has a long half life and takes like 5 days to get out of your system, as you learned, sub will send you into complete W/D'S if you have narcotics in your system still, that wasn't a very good idea to have taken it. how come you took the sub? I am just curious why you did that when it wasn't prescribed to you, that is dangerous. Did you take it because you ran out of your methadone, or did you just want to try it to see how it made you feel and if it helped your pain?

Also yah, why would you stop a medication that is working well for you, espeically since you have tried every other pain med known to man like you mentioned in your post. Sub is not really a strong pain medication, it is used for opiate addiction, did you mention addiction to your new Dr? I have heard some Dr's do prescribe it for pain but I DON'T think its going to give you enough relief to cover your pain like the methadone does.

Just because one Dr doesn't want to prescribe it, doesn't mean another Dr won't. You just need to keep looking for a good Pain management Dr.

when you call around for a new Dr and make the apt, don't tell the receptionist your looking for methadone. they will tell you there DR'S won't prescribe it or they will say there not taking any pain patients. Just say you need a physical and want to establish yourself with a new Dr for a check up. this will at least get you an apt as the minute you say Pain or methadone, you may not get an apt very easily.

Plus have you checked into the prices of Sub? it is HUGELY expensive when methadone is very in expensive so to me, this sounds like a silly idea. It is BIG BUCKS.

I would keep looking for a DR to prescribe methadone for you and if that means your old Dr needs to presribe for you until you find a new Dr than I would do just that, ask your old Dr to keep writting your RX'S until you can find a decent Dr who will, this is not un common as many people are in this position and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to not ask for it. Hopefully they will understand this and cover you temporarily, but I guess your really going to have to get on the horn here and find a Dr who will help you.
Bring all your records with you and a pharmacy print out to the new Dr so they can see your a compliant ligitimate pain patient who is not abusing there meds and really needs them to survive.

good luck, I hope you find some help soon!!!

SS

Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
(female)

rappkh57 HB User

I have been on both. My advice is to taper off of the methadone slowly. That was the hardest drug I have ever tried to stop! The Suboxone is a drug that worked miracles for me, but other people think it is terrible, so my advice may not be the best. I can say that maybe the entire pill was too much for you! Maybe you need to try a much smaller dose, say 2 mg instead of 8 mg to start. I would only stay on the Suboxone long enough to get off of the methadone and then taper it off slowly too. Good luck and be proud of yourself for trying to take a step in the right direction!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
(female)

ellebythebeach HB User

Hello Lee Lee, If you are on a high dose of methadone than suboxone will not work, it will work if your dose is 40 mgs or lower you will be in withdrawal for a few days they will detox you in the hospital but, you will be in pain. The bottom line is methadone has a reputation of getting you dependent on it but, if you do a slow de-escalation from methadone and I mean slow you will be able to combat it. I have been a methadone maintenance and detox counselor for three years and I have seen people switch to suboxone that were not ready to do it, suboxone has less of a stigma so doctors would rather have you on it, and they probably get get a pretty penny from the pharmaceutical company (not saying that your doctor does.)

Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

LeeLee812, welcome to the board. It's a great place to get info and then make your decision. I was on oxy's 30mg 8-10 a day for PM, MD closed gone, so I had to go on suboxone so I could work and not detox. I have to say it does NOTHING for my pain and it's harder to get off than meth. If the meth is helping your pain I'd stay on it. Suboxone is very expensive, and addictive. It sounds like you need something for pain. I had to wait 3 weeks before I could get to see a new PM MD, so that's the only reason I started it. Almost a year ago. You've gotton lots of good info here and I wish you best of luck in doing what is best for YOU

Take care,
Peace,
Zoie

Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post
The reason you got SO SICK off Sub is that you had methadone in your stytem still. Even though you didn't take your morning dose, the methadone was still in your body as it has a long half life and takes like 5 days to get out of your system, as you learned, sub will send you into complete W/D'S if you have narcotics in your system still, that wasn't a very good idea to have taken it. how come you took the sub? I am just curious why you did that when it wasn't prescribed to you, that is dangerous. Did you take it because you ran out of your methadone, or did you just want to try it to see how it made you feel and if it helped your pain?

Also yah, why would you stop a medication that is working well for you, espeically since you have tried every other pain med known to man like you mentioned in your post. Sub is not really a strong pain medication, it is used for opiate addiction, did you mention addiction to your new Dr? I have heard some Dr's do prescribe it for pain but I DON'T think its going to give you enough relief to cover your pain like the methadone does.

Just because one Dr doesn't want to prescribe it, doesn't mean another Dr won't. You just need to keep looking for a good Pain management Dr.

when you call around for a new Dr and make the apt, don't tell the receptionist your looking for methadone. they will tell you there DR'S won't prescribe it or they will say there not taking any pain patients. Just say you need a physical and want to establish yourself with a new Dr for a check up. this will at least get you an apt as the minute you say Pain or methadone, you may not get an apt very easily.

Plus have you checked into the prices of Sub? it is HUGELY expensive when methadone is very in expensive so to me, this sounds like a silly idea. It is BIG BUCKS.

I would keep looking for a DR to prescribe methadone for you and if that means your old Dr needs to presribe for you until you find a new Dr than I would do just that, ask your old Dr to keep writting your RX'S until you can find a decent Dr who will, this is not un common as many people are in this position and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to not ask for it. Hopefully they will understand this and cover you temporarily, but I guess your really going to have to get on the horn here and find a Dr who will help you.
Bring all your records with you and a pharmacy print out to the new Dr so they can see your a compliant ligitimate pain patient who is not abusing there meds and really needs them to survive.

good luck, I hope you find some help soon!!!

SS
I totally agree with this. I think the reason the doctor is wanting to switch you to Suboxone is because he/she thinks you are an addict. Suboxone is not a very good pain medication, I have been on suboxone for almost 2 years so I speak from experience. Methadone is a much better pill for pain management. Ask your doctor why he wants to switch you from methadone to a hugely expensive drug for opiate addiction. I have tapered from an initial dose of 32mg/day to a current dose of 8mg/day. At the very beginning my insurance covered suboxone and I would get a month supply for about $45. I got laid off from my job about a year ago, and finally got a new job and new health insurance back in June, but my new insurance doesn't cover Suboxone. It costs about $6-7 per pill. I shopped around and found Costco had it the cheapest but I didn't have a costco near me, so I went with Walmart which was the next cheapest. I have a discount card that I downloaded from the suboxone website (just google it) and it saves me $75 a month, but it is still about $50/week. But I can tell you that Suboxone works VERY well. It completely eliminates my opiate addiction and I take it exactly as prescribed. It is very strong though, most people dont realize how powerful suboxone is. The 10x hydrocodone reference someone else said may be pretty close. But Suboxone does have a ceiling effect, so you wont get high from the medicine. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread