It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Unhappy News Not So Good

Well,

I just returned from my visit to the endocrinologist.

Looks like I have a tumor on the pituitary after all. The initial word I got from the guy running the MRI was incorrect. It's believed to be benign and it's not overly large, but is definitely believed to be the cause of my low T, amongst other strange lab results. The bone density test revealed that my hips and spine are good but my left forearm (only arm tested) is fairly porous.

So I'm bummed. I know the Lord will bring good out of this, however. Of that I'm confident.

There is a very successful procedure now to remove the tumor, and it involves going into the brain through the nose. I knew about this before. For now we'll just observe the tumor and see if it grows. The really good news is that it's been caught very early and so the prognosis is outstanding.

That's all I can think to write just now as I'm kinda stunned.

Thanks again everyone for all your support and caring. I need you all.

steve

Last edited by forginon; 04-18-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: News Not So Good

Wow Steve!

I'm stunned too and really don't know what to say, except that we will all be here for you through this.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

How long are they planning on watching it? What is the time frame that if they see "no growth" then it's okay??

Poor dear, I know this is stressful for you, but you are strong! You WILL get through!! Let us know if we can do anything!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

(((((((((Steve))))))))))))))

I just cannot imagine the impact this must be having on you. If it were me, I think I would be in shock, kind of asking, Um, God? are you sure this is for me? well okay but it seems unfair!'

It IS unfair, I think when God gave us free will, he also took away his interference in things that are of the random, otherwise free will would only be an illusion. I think he does see every sparrow that falls, but I think he decided to let it fall when he chose to make us free agents of will.

I beleieve in a loving God that weeps with us when things are sad, who hates evil and meaness and sickness, but tries not to intervene too much so that we come to him through and in spite of our sufferings.

I know you are strong enough to get through this, you are a very special person, look at how much you mean to us here in just the short time you have been among us. I feel strongly that you will beat this, and I hope you feel the same way. Anytime you get scared or tired or angry, just come here and vent, we all understand and we all care.

Take care.
~Fabby

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am shocked. I will continue to lift you up in prayer and please know that I will be here to lean on and walk with you during this journey in your life. God Bless.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Steve,
Hang in there buddy, it's going to be alright. I will be saying a prayer for you and letting God know you need some help right now. Maybe he will remove the tumor from your body, I have heard of these miracles happening. Are you going to tell your kid now or wait? I'm sure they are going to completely freak out. I almost want to cry at the moment because it's not fair but we can get through this no matter what

brian

Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Steve, Like you said most are benign as far as cancer, but they can and do effect T levels. I saw an endo before I started on androgel and had the MRI, Their was space around my Pituitarry gland but no tumor, My docs DX was I had a tumor but it had shrunk and disapeared but atrophied the gland to the point of causing some of the problems you discussed. As scarry as a brain tunmmor may sound, I can't imagine having symptoms severe enough to go the mummy route and have it dragged out my nose.

Good luck and I hope you're able to manage the symptoms without the risk of surgery.
Dave

Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Not to sound dumb, but where is the pituitary gland? It's been awhile since I took any type of health class. Also what are the symptoms of having a problem with it? Just curious

brian

Old 04-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Its in the Brain, Brian.

As far as I can remember it is at the base of the brain, why they would go thru the mouth or nose,,,,,, I cant figure out, I just remember they saying it would be less scarring......... sorry I could be totally wrong and please feel free to correct me if I am. Getting late here so I am hitting the sack. I hate this time difference....... He are all chatting away and its bed time here. Night. Why isnt anyone awake at 10 am our time !! that would be 5 am for you lot !

Round1

Old 04-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.

I really don't feel like posting now but I think I need to anyway. I really need to keep in touch with you. It's not at all that I don't want to communicate, I'm just still feeling so numb. Kinda hard to describe. I don't know why I'm feeling this way but I guess I just need to accept it and move on.

Brian, the pituitary is in the brain, very deeply seated. The tumor is called an adenoma. And there can be all sorts of symptoms including sexual dysfunction, depression, apathy, osteoporosis, vision problems, easy bruising, aching joints, carpel tunnel, muscle weakness, fatigue, etc. I chose this list because they all fit (for me) and there are many others as well. I'm amazed at how many of these symptoms I've really struggled with over the last few years and had no idea there could be a common thread. Apparently this is normal. Unfortunately, many don't seek help until it's too late. My situation is hopeful because the tumor is still relatively small.

Round1, apparently the MRI is the best tool for picking up this tumor, as it may not be detected with xrays or even CT scans. To remove it they usually go in through the nose, which leaves less scarring. They can also go in through the roof of the mouth or the top/front of the head. Radiation and chemo are also used but they tend to destroy the good with the bad and are avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Dave, looks like mine has been caught earlier than yours. There was no mention of any spacing around the pituitary, but I do have the symptoms are you alluded to suffering yourself.

Diet, Fabby and Spinal, I so appreciate you. And I'm going to need you over the long haul. I'm still pretty stunned and don't have much of anything to say. Other than thanks for being there. I am SO GLAD I have you all as friends. I need you.

Gotta go now as my carpool ride is here...

Later...steve

Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Steve it is shocking to hear news like that and just imagine with being persistent and getting to the right doc and testing they found something. While the news isn't good it still is better then Not knowing what is going on and why.
One step at a time and know you are in our good thoughts and prayers

Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Steve,

Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers coming your way. Believe in all things good and positive, and remember how many of us care about you.

Tex

Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Steve...I can't even think of the right words. I just came on the boards to check in on everyone. We have houseguests, so I haven't had a chance to read or post. I just wanted to let you know that I was floored when I read about this. It must have been such a shock, especially since the tech was so positive that there was nothing there.

Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and wish there was something I could do. I guess the only positive thing I can say, is that I hope when you are feeling upset, you will remember my dad. His was a complete success and it was the size of a golf ball and had completely squashed the gland itself. It all came out just fine. And I'm sure that whatever comes of yours, it will be OK.

You are a man of such deep faith... and faith brings strength and comfort. God bless you and your family. If you have any other questions about my dad's experience, please just ask. I'll be here for you, to listen and encourage. Your friend, cmpgirl ((((steve))))

Old 04-19-2008, 03:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Steve, Thank god it is not worse. I guess that is the way you have to look at it. I am so very sorry you have to go through this, but so glad it was found before getting worse. I am also glad you are a man of strong faith. At times like this that is what carries us through.
I swear when some thing like this comes up I wish we could just give each other a big hug, but you know we are here for you evry step of the way.
How is your family doing? I will of course keep you in my prayers. Sammy

Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Steve, dear heart!

I can understand what you are going through, anyone here would feel the same as you do. But i have to tell you something: most of this type tumors are not melignant, which is a good news.
The only thing I still would go for second opinion regarding waiting. Not of anything, just for your piece of mind.

A year ago, during Thoracic MRI they found some lymph nodes and spots on my lungs. Dr wanted to check me every 3 month by doing CT and see if area is getting bigger. I would rather they do biopsy and find out right the way, but this type procedure is very risky and they want to be 100% sure that it's necessary before they go in.
So i still go every 3 month for CT and so far status plato, will see what happens.

Time is the best DR; in a couple of weeks you will be able to sort things out and put yourself together after shock like this. My heart is with you, I wish you all the best, Steve.

Best of luck to you and family!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Steve- Hope everything turns out ok.

Ex

Closed Thread