It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
(male)

mark76 HB User
How (and at what rate) does the oxycontin time release mechanism work?

I understand that it releases some immediately and then slowly releases the rest. How much does it release immediately, and how over what period does it release the rest? Most people note that that it doesn't last 12 hours like Purdue claims. Also, I've heard conflicting accounts over how much is release immediately (some say half some say 40%).

Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: How (and at what rate) does the oxycontin time release mechanism work?

Hello...And welcome.

You have an excellent question....One that has been debated on this board before. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure because I've heard conflicting information and the manufacturer's literature is contradictory at times.

My Doc (anesthesiologist) told me that 10% is released immediately, and then even time released from there. However, some have come on this board and argued very hard that it's half immediately and half 6 hours later. I believe my Doc, but I have to admit, I have a shadow of doubt. Pharma's prescribing info says "OxyContin Tablets exhibit a biphasic absorption pattern with two apparent absorption half-lives of 0.6 and 6.9 hours, which describes the initial release of oxycodone from the tablet followed by a prolonged release." The part that says "followed by a prolonged release" is what gets me.......

If you do research on drug testing and detectable levels in UAs, you'll see that some clinics have had a hard time detecting measurable levels of low OC doses in patients urine. Accordingly, there have also been reports of the OC shell passing through the colon and excreted in the patients waste matter. This lends itself to the theory that there is some consistent time release function, or some issue with absorption overall.

I asked my pharmacist about the time release functionality, and he wasn't sure. I've search over and over, and haven't found a clear cut statement. You may try asking your pharmacist and/or Doc.

My Doc has said that he doesn't believe it's a 12 hour drug and that he scripts it 3x for just about all his patients. IMO, I think most of these 12 hour claims are marketing driven. No way OC would admit that it's an 8 hr drug....Then, there's not much difference between it and standard meds which are 4-6 hr.

Sorry that I couldn't give a complete answer.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I had some research done too. I love this post, very interesting!

I totally agree with what Ex has to say, i read same material and always was wondering how come the info is so complicated and no clear answers. My pharmacist couldn't answer this question either, which is a little worry: how much to they know about meds?

I am taking LA Oxy every 12 hours and BT Oxy (15mg). Honestly I noticed that LA never works for 12 hours that is why I have to use BT also.

I wonder how much of all total Oxy your Drs prescribed to you? And also how much is too much of BT a day?
What is your opinion? My Dr told me to take BT as needed. Some days I am OK with taking once or twice, some days I am so bad that I would like to take maybe one time extra but I am afraid not to over do it...
What do you think?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

What strength OC did the Doc put you on? Also, how many BT Oxys did he give you? As long as you don't run out, I would say "take as needed" as he has prescribed. I can appreciate you not wanting to "over do it", but at the same time, you don't want to suffer. I have been told by my PM (and ENT) that it's impt to stay ahead of the pain....Take as soon as you feel it coming on....If you wait too long, meds won't work very well (or at all).

Ex

Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
(male)

gregar HB User

I'd really love to know the answer to this question too. I have to take 30mg oxycontin x4 a day so basically I'm taking what is supposed to be a long acting pain med as if it were a quick acting med. I've read that you get the first dose within an hour and the second dose anywhere from 5-7 hours later but I never get the second dose. I am taking name brand 10mg x3 (my pharmacy doesn't have the 30mg pills). If I could figure out the release method I might be able to figure out if it's something else I take causing the extended release to not work right and either adjust that med or prove to my doctor which med could be causing the problem so he can figure something else out for me to take. As it is I might as well just be on the quick acting version of oxy since it's cheaper than the long acting and I'm taking the long acting every 5-5.5 hours.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Gregar- I'd ask your Doc or pharmacist, although you can see from my previous post what I found out when I did the same. I've researched the topic extensively because I had the same problem as you...I ended up moving to the patch as a result.

IMO....I think it's a heavily guarded secret @ Purdue Pharma for the obvious reasons....It's all about their patent and as you probably know, they've recently been successful in forcing the generics off the market. Even in their own prescribing sheet they only say "OxyContin Tablets exhibit a biphasic absorption pattern with two apparent absorption half-lives of 0.6 and 6.9 hours, which describes the initial release of oxycodone from the tablet followed by a prolonged release." As I posted earlier in the thread, the part that says "followed by a prolonged release" is what makes me think it's some steady state.

Again, the only thing I can recommend is to ask your Doc...Unless you're luckier than me in finding something in your research.

Ex

Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
(male)

gregar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Gregar- I'd ask your Doc or pharmacist, although you can see from my previous post what I found out when I did the same. I've researched the topic extensively because I had the same problem as you...I ended up moving to the patch as a result.

IMO....I think it's a heavily guarded secret @ Purdue Pharma for the obvious reasons....It's all about their patent and as you probably know, they've recently been successful in forcing the generics off the market. Even in their own prescribing sheet they only say "OxyContin Tablets exhibit a biphasic absorption pattern with two apparent absorption half-lives of 0.6 and 6.9 hours, which describes the initial release of oxycodone from the tablet followed by a prolonged release." As I posted earlier in the thread, the part that says "followed by a prolonged release" is what makes me think it's some steady state.

Again, the only thing I can recommend is to ask your Doc...Unless you're luckier than me in finding something in your research.

Ex
Thanks for the reply. I'll ask my doctor and pharmacist, but I'm thinking I'll get the same response from them you got from yours. And I agree, the patch worked wonderfully, but I had bad issues with rash and only the Sandoz brand working when I didn't get all rashed up. Anyway, thanks Executor for tanking the time to post your findings!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Welcome fellow Washingtonian! Gotta love this crazy Spring weather. We had 3 inches of snow last Friday!

Anyway, didn't Shore post something recently about Purdue moving from the bi-phasic(not sure if that's it but the release at 1.5 and 6.5 hours) to a smoother multi release??~Mush

Old 04-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
(male)

tbreeze27 HB User

I take Prevacid for heart burn. . . . 3 hours before or 3 hours after taking my Oxycontin. . . I've always thought that it played a role in my absorbtion.

Closed Thread