It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Aspirin and Opiates...

Hello everyone! I hope this weekend was a nice one for you

I don't remember who (I think it was Ex or Steve) who mentioned while ago about narco meds and Aspirin.
At that time I did not take Aspirin, but since I have too much under skin bleeding
on Coumadin, my DR put me on baby Aspirin instead.

I feel very dizzy since and feels like my meds got stronger... I can't explain it better but just to say that it feels like I just start to take my narco meds and they make me feel weired.
Can it be that Aspirin in combination with narco meds can me feel this way? Is this OK?

Thank you in advance and please, feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Aspirin and Opiates...

I am by no means an expert but anytime you make a change in your meds your body has to adjust. You stopped coumadin which requires one adjustment then you added aspirin which would require another adjustment. Just my opinion. Not worth anything.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Honey, please call your doctor or I am definitely coming to see you!! We can't afford for me to have another heart attack.

Also remember you are adjusting to the oxy too! Despite that, I still want you to call the doctor anyway. We can't ignore any symptoms with you. Take care of yourself my friend.

Last edited by ms_west; 04-20-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Moldova,

I don't think the addition of aspirin should be causing this new feeling. If taken together with OC it might make the OC feel a tiny bit stronger, but not enough to cause weird feelings.

I agree with Diet, get in tough with your doc, especially if the weird feeling gets stronger.

You need to stop doing this, as Diet said. We just can't handle too many of these episodes in such a short period of time.

Feel better!

steve

Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

It was me who mentioned it my three general med categories to watch out for in terms of synergistic effect of narcotics. Aspirin thins your blood, thus, it makes the narcotics more powerful. Many teens will take aspirin about an hour before the "use" to intensify the high (of whatever drug they take). Any patient who takes aspirin chronically should be aware of the potential synergistic effect. Same goes with antihistamines.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i can honestly say,this is a new one for me. i never actually heard of this occuring before. i have been taking baby asp(for a coiled brain aneurysm) along with my OC for over two years and i never actually recalled any 'enhanced" affect from any of the narcotics or OC that i am on,ever. maybe its just me?

moldova, depending upon how long the stopping the coumadin was then adding the aspirin,this "could" Just be that affect and may go away for you once your body rids itself of the coumadin. but of course,it could also be what ex mentioned. i never was aware of any effect with the aspirin(is this with regular aspirin ex or baby aspirin too?),but i did know about the antihistamine thing. if this persists for more than like a week or so hon,i would at least go see your doc for some lab work just to check the basics of the blood qualities.

i had a horrid bleeding and blotching reaction to plavix when they temporatrily placed me on it and the aspirin before my aneurysm was coiled. it was awful. they finally took me off the plavix about one week post coiling and i did fine with the baby aspirin as long as it is enteric coated. thank god they actually have the enteric or i would be so screwed right now. this is now my life long companion. just see your doc moldova if this doesn't get better soon or god forbid actually gets worse. coumadins effects do take awhile to actually dissapate from your system. please keep us posted on how you are doing. still have to get back to your post. sorry.Marcia

Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Thank you so much for all your responds, greatly appreciated.
I will see for couple more days and if symptoms still there i will definitely call my PM.
Ex, this is exactly how it feels, no wonder people who like to get "high" do this. Personally, this is not for me and I hope after adjusting i stop feeling this way.

Thank you all again and have a better day today!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Anyone who takes regular doses of aspirin should be careful with any of the meds. Aspirin thins the blood, therefore, making the concentration of any med more powerful. It's best to ask your Doc re: your particular med combination. As we've discussed before, many meds by themselves are perfectly fine, but once part of a cocktail, they can be lethal.

One of the most notable is wine and Tylenol. By themselves, no problem....Together, and it could be fatal.

Ex

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Ex,
thank you very much for your advice, this is very true regarding "coctail".

I don't have alcohol in my system for about 3 years. I never been a drinker, so when they put me on my meds, was not a problem for me to quit alcohol all together. I think this can be a big problem for some people if they mix this type med with alcohol, not worth it for me.

Ex, knowing that you are taking PK also I have a question for you. Does your opiates make you sleep longer than you ever did?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
. Does your opiates make you sleep longer than you ever did?
Yes I sleep longer than ever with the patch, Percocet, Lyrica, and then Trileptal and Benadryl at night. I sleep usually 10 hours and sometimes up to 12 if I have not had much sleep the night or two before and am exhausted. I used to sleep around 9 hours so this is definitely an increase for me. However, the pain relief is worth it so I just make do.

brian

Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Ex, knowing that you are taking PK also I have a question for you. Does your opiates make you sleep longer than you ever did?
Moldova.....What's "PK"?

Ex

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova uses pk for pain killers in her writing.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Not really.....When I first went on the patch I did, however....But that effect wore off after about a week or two. I do fall asleep easier now...Especially if I've recently taken some meds. Before I went on the patch, I would actually wake up early sometimes due to pain and minor WDs....Accelerated heart rate & etc. The OC just wouldn't last 12 hours and once it wore off, I was hurting......Don't have this issue with the patch.

Ex

Closed Thread