It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Amitriptyline tabs 25mg - oxycontin 10 mg

Hi folks, Just want your view on this. I have been on 10 mg of oxycontin and 10 mg 12 hours later........ which doesnt have any effect pain wise. I am now on them for about 4 weeks. My pain management guy started me on them and then to get rehab physio. In the mean time I had to go the rheumy to check out my HLAB-27 positive and he said oxycontin wouldnt do anything for me, and he prescribed amitripyline 25 mg and stop oxycontin. So far I havent started on them. I am just waiting for the right time to start so if I am very sick on them, my son and collections are taken care of. But I had such a hard day yesterday and said i cannot continue in this pain......... I dont want to ring my PM and say look I am going to start on these. I just find the more you ring the more its HER AGAIN attitude. I know that shouldnt bother me but its that here you get labelled very quickley........... its like of course it should be doing something !!!!

I just want to know have anyone of you tried Amitriptline, have you been sick alot on them and for how long. Of course has there been any improvement, and also do you take oxycontin with them. I am planning as the rheumy said just take the amitriptline on its own....... but just wondering what other people are doing and getting relief.

Round 1 thanks again

Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Amitriptyline tabs 25mg - oxycontin 10 mg

Yes I have been on it. It is usually given at night to help with sleeping and pain. What dosage did they put you on?

It will take a couple of days to get used to but I guarantee you will sleep good.

Just watch for swelling if you have any call your doctor right away. I had problems with swelling of the hands and feet with this medication.

Last edited by ms_west; 04-22-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey round1,
I take amitryptiline along with Oxycontin. I take the amitryptiline at bedtime because it helps me to sleep.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there thanks for replying, the Amitriptyline is 25mg. I really dont need it for sleep as I have no problem touch wood sleeping. It was the rheumy guy said stop taking the oxycontin as for my pain it wont work. He said that while amitriptyline is an old anti-depressant it is used to block pain signals better than the new anti-depressants........ so that is why he said no oxycontin. My PM really doesnt want to see me until I have given the rehab physio ago, but that isnt going to instantly cure me !!! I need something to help with the pain level. I feel they think I am being too impatient but I feel I have given the dosage 4 weeks and I know there is very little change, now they want to add physio to this !

Badoldback what dosages are you taking of the oxycontin and amitryptiline, and did you have bad side effects?

Thanks diet will look out for the swelling. I really must look up the net for info on it. They were given in a bottle and no leaflet with them. i hate when that happens.

Round1

Last edited by Round1; 04-22-2008 at 07:04 AM.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Round1, I would take the med at nighttime. The first couple of days you may have the sleepies in the morning but generally that is very short lasting. Good luck and I hope it helps. I really would think twice about dropping the oxy cause this med is not going to control your pain all day alone. I think the combo of the two is a good idea personally but I would run it past the pm doctor. They will probably think it is a good idea since it is often prescribed together.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Thanks diet,

I will start on them tonight, and hopefully be okay for the school run, spoke to hubbie and if i cant drive in the morning, he can go to work late and do the school run. (You would swear I had 10 kids !). The only reason I was thinking of stopping the oxycontin was I felt no great relief pain wise,.......... I feel I could up the 10 mg but where is the level I stop?? and he said he wouldnt like me to be on it long term !!!. Today I am really tired buy not as sore as I was yesterday I put it down to the swimming in the pool on the sunday........... more i exercise the more pain I seem to get. I often think of your hot tub. told my husband that since he was looking to get a bigger shed he should put also make it really big for my hot tub. It went down a treat !!!!. thanks for your help and will let you know how i get on on the meds. Round 1

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

My son used to take Amitriptyline for migraine prevention when he was a child, and it did make him sleepy. I'm kind of shocked that they're using it as a pain med.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Round,

I did not take Amitriptyline, but I am taking Oxy. I just can tell you that 10 mg with your pain levels sounds low to me. I am on 20mg every 12 hours (it doesn't last 12 hours though) and Bt oxy usually 2 times a day.
I am taking it for 2 weeks only and so far I am very happy. LA meds makes a big difference to me.
My PM Dr wants to hear from me a week after he puts me on new meds or new dose. If i tell him it dos not work, he either changes for me or increases to does. No reason for you to suffer, you can call and tell them if this does not work.
I really feel sorry for you that you afraid to be judged by them if you call earlier, sound so unfair.

I wish you finally find a solution for your problems and maybe one day you will post here how good you are going. After all this hard time for you - time for a good reports...

All the best to you and family!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

I have been reading about its use for migraines, and maybe it is the same way to stop the pain singles going to the brain. I dont know as it is also used as an anti-depressant but seems to work better for stopping pain signal !! dont know. He used the example of someone losing their arm but still feeling the pain of the arm even those the arm isnt there. so it is prescribed for that use aswell.

Time will tell.
Round 1

Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I am the same way. My nerve pain settles down as a rule if I don't do anything and stay indoors at home but the minute I begin cleaning, walking around the yard or going places with the family that nerve pain skyrockets. I have been told it is mechanical and something is being compressed. (duh!!)

Truly work on getting that spa. Hubby and I have no regrets in purchasing the spa except for the payment. LOL I have used it in the pouring down rain, during the middle of the night, and multiple times each day. I use it as a rule 3 times a day. It definitely brings down my pain levels.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I would seriously think about NOT dropping the Oxycontin either. But if you do decide to do it then you should go nice and slow and probably go on Percocet for awhile and slowly titrate down. I will tell you if you decide to go cold turkey from 20mg Oxy a day you will be in for some major withdrawal and trust me it is no fun at all. You would be completely out of commision for probably a week. I would think about going on something in addition to the amitryptiline, maybe something like Neurontin, Lyrica, Topomax, Tegretol, Trileptal, or Cymbalta. These meds are speicifically designed for nerve pain. You would definitely be able to tell if the Oxy is helping if you go off of it, I can tell you that for sure. I would be letting your PM doc prescribe the amitryptiline but maybe you are not under contract for him to prescribe all meds. Anyway just some advice.

brian

Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there diet, thats what the Neuro said to me that my back was a mechanical problem and that why he felt the fusion would help my not having movement in it. Then here I am going to physio to get movement back in my back !!! does that make sense !!!. Then I suppose I cant live like a board as that will cause its own problems further up my back.

unfortunately a hot tub is out, we really dont have the space as three years ago I did a big extension to the kitchen, I am 6ft 11" and found that my worktop was low and everything of course was down low. So built out and got all my units sorted. Got my washing washing and tumble dryer raised up in the utility so I wouldnt have to bend down. Also got my dishwasher at waist level so no bending down trying to empty the god damn thing. So I used alot of garden space on it. But well well worth it. I had an ordinary oven that i used to have to get down on my knees to open. (didnt have back trouble when we built the house !!!) ........ so got one raised up...... So really No space or room for the hot tub. But I thank god now that i can function in the kitchen and not be waiting for my husband to come home and get things for me...... I did however look on the net at them and found that I possibly wouldnt be able to get into one !! I cant sit with my legs out straight and steps are a no no......... think I will have to stick the the shower !!!!!.

I have done all the moaning here so just wondering how you are doing pain wise, you havent been on saying much but of course giving us the support. How is your daughter doing? Did you ever try the towel I was telling you about?
Round1

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

So sorry you don't have the room for the hot tub. If you lived close by I would tell you to come on by.

Honestly, I am trying not to complain to much. Lord knows I have cried on everyones shoulders alot in the past and right now I am trying to concentrate on accepting that I will not get better.

I am thankful to have pain meds that work and an compassionate general practioner who works hard to keep me at the lowest dose possible but not in excrutiating pain. Praise the Lord. As far as pain mgmt goes, I am at the best level of pain relief since reinjuring my back in 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still have pain but the oxycontin LA has done wonders for me taking it every six hours around the clock. Somedays I use zero breakthrus and other days I use 2 to 3. It actually depends on my level of activity.

As far as my back, I will try to be as brief as I can. I am now having pain in the thoracic and cervical area of the back. My nerve pain has settled down some but I am experiencing numbness - much better than pain. With the numbness, I am having buzzing sensations that almost feel like a short circuit is happening. It doesn't really hurt, I just have to be prepared for the leg to collapse when I walk. I also continue to have balance issues and use a cane, back brace and a tens unit. Yes as my hubby tells me I look like a hot Momma. (NOT)

Mentally, I feel better than I have in a long time. I have been thru 4 spinal surgeries (2 fusions, 4 laminenctomies, and one revision surgery w/ hardware removal) and realize that I have done everything I can do to get better. There really is nothing else for me to do. I can't imagine going thru more surgery because with each surgery it has brought along additional problems and LORD know that I don't need to carry any more. I am going to get one last opinion, as soon as I find the strength to pick up the phone, to make an appt and if he confirms failed back syndrome then I will be an emotional wreck and wallow in self pity until I find the strength to learn to cope with it. I know with the LORD and with many of my friends on this board I can get thru anything.

Overall, I think I am handling it all. Thank you for asking.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Decided to stop trying to sort my own meds out. I picked up the phoned and phoned my Pain Managements secretary. Explained how the 10 mg of oxycontin in the am and pm are really doing nothing for me at all. I have been on them 4 weeks.

Last Night I just had a blinding headache, so sleepy and sick.... it was 2 hours when the next tablet was due......... I am wondering is the dependancy on it? I was actually just not going to take one as it wasnt helping but I just took a 5mg. This morning felt awfull so i went back to the 10 mg. Here I am messing around myself. So I gave out to myself and said that is why you found yourself a PM.

Thankfully I am able to see him tomorrow and see what he thinks about the amitriptyline on its own or with something. You were right folks I just cant medicate myself............... and then when things dont work where does that leave me? So hopefully something will be added to take with the oxycontin, I hope he doesnt plan on going up a dosage........ but look what he says i shall do. Thanks for your support.
Round1

Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Yeah!! I am glad that you are going to discuss this with your PM. That is exactly what he/she is for and you/your insurance is paying him for.

I will be praying that you can get all this sorted out tomorrow and am looking forward to hearing the details. I pray that he is compassionate and really listens to you. Good luck sweetie!

Closed Thread