It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

teirtat HB User
Changing from oxy's

This is the first thread for me. I was looking for info for my brother in-law and found this site. I know alot about managing pain because I have been on oxy's for about ten years now. He isn't a bad as I am but I thought I could get some useful info for him. What I found was someone who needed info about the same meds I am on. Anyone who has been on these meds for very long knows they don't last the way they were written. And that would be twice a day.

I know everyone is different but no matter who you are, after a few years you need an increase. I had my first neck operation in 1995, they replaced three disc's. Then 9 months later they had to go back in and replace two more and add a plate to hold them in place. Now I'm still not sure if one had popped out with one more needing to be replaced or if it was two new ones.

At that time I was on about twelve vicodin's a day. That let to a burning in my stomach that just would not go away. That's when I was put on Oxycontin 20mg twice a day. It never did last for me. It could have been because of all the operations I had in such a short time. 1994 I had a hysterotomy and 1997 they removed half of my thyroid. Since my doctor at that time realized I really needed more, he increased me to three a day. That was the only thing that helped me get out of bed.

Now it's been ten years and I have moved to N.C. from Pa. and new doctors. When I got here in 2001 they had to go in and take the plate out because it had eaten a hole in my esophagus. Thankfully I have been blessed with understanding doctors. But still every now and then they want you to try something new and improved. So I agree because I don't want them to think I am in this for the drugs.

Plus, I'm not a doctor, what do I know, maybe there is something else that's better for me. So I have been put on methedone, that made me so sick that I couldn't eat. And then there was opana, that's the one that is supposed to be stronger and longer lasting. I was so sick I wished death on myself. So my doctor put me back on the drug that has lasted for ten years.

Because my insurance will not pay for three a day ( again that's because it's not written that way ) he upped the dose and added two to three percocets as needed. I think what I am trying to say is, if you can find something, anything that works for you, don't be shy and let the doctor give you something that doesn't work or makes you sick.

The doctors really don't want to give oxy's if there is anything else that may work. I understand that, with all of the news about idiots abusing it. But for me, if I didn't have this, I would be in bed, in pain and wanting to be put down for the rest of my life. So I will do what people say all the time and pray for you. I really do hope you can find some relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

mewcamaro HB User
Re: Changing from oxy's

Hi I had an ALIF in June 07 removing L4 L5 and replacing with titanium cages with fusion. I have had 3 surgeries on my back to date and still suffer in terrible pain 24/7, worse than before surgery.

I am on Oxy 40mg, Vicaden 7.50, Vallium 5 mg and depression meds. You are right after taking them for so long they do not control your pain anymore. My case is a W/C case and I keep telling my neurosurgeon that the meds are not working. He switched me to the Opana 20 mg, after taking for 2 weeks they did nothing at all for me. I called and he upped the mgs to 40. Haven't started taking them yet but I hope they will control the pain.

I am scheduled for epidural injections again which I had before surgery and they did nothing for me.

I can't do anything, drive, sit, walk, stand, clean, cook and the list just goes on and on. I use a walker and wheelchair and my doctor doesn't understand why I still do, well if he was in my shoes and had the pain I had he would use them too. I don't think he believes me when I tell him how much pain I am in, it starts in my back goes into my butt and down my leg into my foot. Most of the time I spent laying down in bed because its my most comfortable position.

Well I wish you luck...and pain free...Marie

Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hello and welcome.....I think you've got two primary options if you don't want to consider methadone:

(1) Go OC 3 X day. I know you said your insurance won't pay, but you can "appeal" this....You shouldn't take what the computer at the pharmacy says as gospel. Quite often, if your Doc writes a letter or calls the insurance company, they will authorize 3 X. Some will even authorize 4 X. Unfortunately, going up in dose doesn't really solve your problem because it's not the strength of the med, but the frequency, or the amt of time is lasts in your system. When you do some research on this topic, you will find that it's pretty universal that OC lasts 6-8 hours max. Why Purdue Pharma won't reclassify it is a whole another story.

(2) Move to another LA med that delivers more precise med around the clock. The answer would be the fentanyl patch. However, there are two downsides: (A) This isn't the best time of year to start it as the weather is getting warm and the edges tend to pull up unless you stay indoors a lot, or change more frequently. And (B) It's a patch...Some don't like the concept of patch for all the obvious reasons. Each person is different. I have found the patch to be a god send and IMO, it's by far the best LA med on the market. It's also quite a bit stronger since it's fentanyl based, so one has to be very careful that you start at the lowest dose, and move up from there if needed. Those that have had problems with it either started at too high of a dose, or moved up too quickly.

Your only other options would be methadone or Opana....Which is an expensive drug, but many report that it lasts MUCH longer than OC. Also, it's claim to fame is that it doesn't target the receptors that cause euphoria.

Hope this helps explain the basics. Good luck in whatever you do.

Ex

Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Teirtat: I'd like to say hello and welcome also. I am one of the people that Ex referred to about Oxy 3x/day. My insurance would not cover it initially, but my pain management doc sent them a letter of appeal and had no problem getting an authorization. He has to renew the request every 3 months, but they assured him there would be no problem.

Not only has it made a huge difference in my pain levels staying more even, it has actually allowed me to decrease my breakthrough meds. Most major insurers just want something in writing from the prescribing doc, so they can CYA, so to speak.

If the Oxy was helping you with little or no side effects, I would most definitely suggest this to your doctor. My PM is also planning to change my dose from 20mg, 3x/day to 30mg, 3x/day in the hope that I can decrease the BT meds even more. The less Tylenol, the better.

I absolutely understand that you don't want your doctor(s) to think you are drug seeking, but my theory is...if something works, but just needs a little tweak now and then, due to tolerance or worsening of the condition causing the pain, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Just wanted to say hello and put my two cents in. Take care and please keep posting. This is a great place to get the much needed support and information that we all need so much. cmpgirl

Old 04-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

teirat:
welcome to the boards and please come here any time for support or any questions that you might have. I have been wondering this for quite some time and don't take this the wrong way. But, I don't understand doctors that only put patients on Oxycontin when there are SO MANY different meds to use in addition to it that could help immensly with the nerve pain. There have been quite a few people that have been to the boards recently and state that the only drug they take is Oxycontin and it is not managing their pain. I just want to cringe in my chair and I do know first hand because I was on Oxycontin at one point and Percocet for BT pain and it wasn't working very well for my pain. Now I know the reason why was alot of my pain is nerve pain. I am not putting you down and please let me know if you are taking other medications in addition to the Oxycontin.

Just to let you know there are many, many medications to treat nerve pain. Here is a nice list of meds that could me used for treating nerve pain and chronic pain in general. If your doctor has not suggested some of these meds that treat nerve pain, I would highly suggest bringing it up. There is no need to suffer more because you are not on the right medication regiment. Here is the listthe ones in bold are used most commonly)

Anticonvulsants - Topomax, Tegretol, Trileptal, Depakote, Lamictal, Dilantin, Depakene, Neurontin, Lyrica, Gabitril, Klonopin(even though it's technically a benzodiazepine)

Tricyclic Antidepressants - Elavil(amitryptiline), Pamelor(nortriptyline), desipramine, imipramine, doxepin(Sinequan), trimipramine, clomipramine

**very good at treating nerve pain & helpful with sleep so usually prescribed at night**

SNRI Antidepressants - Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin

**very effective for nerve pain & also depression that usually accompanies chronic pain, many people on these boards have success with Cymbalta**

Atypical Antidepressants- Trazadone, Ultram(tramadol),
Ultracet, Ultram ER

**good at treating nerve pain, tramadol also has a mild opiod quality to it so IT IS A MILD NARCOTIC**

[U]SSRI Antidepressants[/U]- Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Luvox

Opiod/Opiates- hydrocodone(Vicodin, Lortab, Norco), oxycodone(Percocet, Oxycontin, Oxy IR), hydromorphone(Dilaudid), oxymorphone(Opana), methadone, fentanyl(patch, Actiq), morphine(MS Contin, Avinza, Kadian) **can be useful for certain types of pain especially when used in combination with other non-narcotic meds**

I hope that you can get some relief. Did your doctor ever suggest trying the fentanyl patch(Duragesic). Many members, including me, get quite a bit of relief from it. Keep us posted.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-26-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
(female)

teirtat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewcamaro View Post
Hi I had an ALIF in June 07 removing L4 L5 and replacing with titanium cages with fusion. I have had 3 surgeries on my back to date and still suffer in terrible pain 24/7, worse than before surgery.

I am on Oxy 40mg, Vicaden 7.50, Vallium 5 mg and depression meds. You are right after taking them for so long they do not control your pain anymore. My case is a W/C case and I keep telling my neurosurgeon that the meds are not working. He switched me to the Opana 20 mg, after taking for 2 weeks they did nothing at all for me. I called and he upped the mgs to 40. Haven't started taking them yet but I hope they will control the pain.

I am scheduled for epidural injections again which I had before surgery and they did nothing for me.

I can't do anything, drive, sit, walk, stand, clean, cook and the list just goes on and on. I use a walker and wheelchair and my doctor doesn't understand why I still do, well if he was in my shoes and had the pain I had he would use them too. I don't think he believes me when I tell him how much pain I am in, it starts in my back goes into my butt and down my leg into my foot. Most of the time I spent laying down in bed because its my most comfortable position.

Well I wish you luck...and pain free...Marie
I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. After the last time they opened my neck up, my doctor told me to never let anyone give me shots in my neck. That the area is so fragile, it would do way more harm. So when they start talking about giving me shots to help with the pain, I say no, no, no. Since my pain doctor took me up to 80mg of oxy's and two to three oxycodone 5mg a day, I seem to be doing alot better. I also take two robacin a day. That is what helps me to sleep through the night. You need a cronic pain doctor. They seem to want to help more. The doctor I had for all of the surgeries, couldn't keep on giving me meds. Once he had done all that he could do, I was told I needed to go to where they do nothing but treat pain. That I would be in some pain for the rest of my life. It took a while to find a place that I love. I do love those people. They never make me feel bad about needing the meds. Now that I've found a drug store that doesn't make me feel like I'm doing something wrong, things are getting better. If I were you, I would ask my doctor if he knew anywhere that does nothing but treat pain. I'm sure he does. They will all start with the shots crap. I say crap because I have never known anyone that has gotten better with that. Maybe there is someone but I've ask at least 15 people and none of them are any better. Most of them are worst. God bless you Babe, I will pray for you.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
(female)

teirtat HB User

Hey Brian, thanks for telling me about all of the other stuff out there. Most of it I have already tried and I think because I've been on pain relievers for so long, the only thing that comes close to keeping me out of the bed is something with a stronger narcotic. I was on 25mg of fentanyl about five years ago and it made my heart ache. So they took me off of that right away. Now because of the increase to 80mg twice and day with the three 5mg for the BT, I do think things will be alot better. So I just wanted you to know, I do appreciate the time you took writting all that down for me. Thanks, teirtat

Closed Thread