It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Has anyone EVER used DEODERANT SPRAY to get their patch to stick better?

I have heard several people on a different board state that they use deoderant spray on their skin, let it dry, and then apply the fentanyl patch to get it to stick better and possibly cut down on irritation since there would be less sweat built up underneath. I want to hear from anyone that has tried this and if it works

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-22-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Has anyone EVER used DEODERANT SPRAY to get their patch to stick better?

I've read that in places too, but have never tried it. I've also read where some have (1) applied nasonex or some other nasal steroid to help with itching, breakout & etc (2) rubbing alcohol to the site. I'm not saying these won't work, but one will never find where the manufacturer endorses it. I would think that one has to be very careful with chemicals interfering with absorption. I asked my Doc about it and he said he couldn't in good faith recommend anything outside the manufacturer's recommendations.

As I posted in my other thread, I have found that briefly heating up your body part with a hair dryer (10 seconds max) and then immediately applying the patch works wonders. It provides just enough warmth to heat the glue and provide a very good bond. Similarly, I have seen where some recommend heating the patch via the same method, but I'm afraid I may blow the patch out of my hand and therefore stick to something on the ground. I also don't like the idea of heating up the contents.

Good luck.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Ex, I must admit that the hair dryer thing scares me to death but then I worry about someone reading a suggestion and taking it to the extreme. (Sorry it is the Momma in me!).

Pepper

Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'll be honest Diet, if someone really wants to abuse drugs, they can take a lot of things we talk about on this board to the extreme.....And there is no shortage of information on the web....In general....Especially for abusers....They have their own sites, actually. I've stumbled upon them in doing countless hours of research. Each his own, I guess.

All the hair dryer thing is doing is lightly warming up your skin in order to get the glue to set. I find it more effective than using covers. I asked my Doc about it and he said that it is fine. He actually recommends something very similar....He also said the same can be accomplished by taking hot shower or bath...Drying off the water and then applying the patch within a few minutes....Your skin stays "warm" for 10-15 minutes after a hot shower or bath. Any type of warmth will allow the glue to really set up.

Also, cleaning the skin with soap and water is key because it cleans the bodies natural oil and sweat off.

I'll be very honest....I'm here to help those who have a legitimate need. Just my opinion only....I'm not going to withhold information because someone may twist and turn it around.....Chances are they've already found it elsewhere....Or some other loophole. No different than the thread about cutting OC in half if you know what I mean.

Regards.

Ex

Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I personally would not use the deodorant idea because of the ingredients used to make the deodorant. If there is a great deal of sweating I would just make sure I use a large clear Opsite covering well past the edges of the patch. The only thing we use is the Prescription nose spays for the protection over the skin with the Steroid ...our bodies manufacture steroids so it is not considered foreign to the body but it does help my husbands skin from severe excoriation and skin conditions. I have always used the hairdryer to dry the spray on the skin as it takes too long to dry on its own. Using a hairdryer or just holding a warm hand over the patch(as directed for one min)does the same thing...as does a nice hot shower or just leaning back on a recliner chair heats up the patch/back..of course I speak of patches on the back. The point is ...for us there has never been anything bad that has happened and my husband is on a very high dose of these very large patches...for 3 long years. Many drugs and medical products are used differently by doctors than what they are manufactured for and it is never mentioned by the drug company however at some point if enough people use it differently they do change their uses. We happen to be risk takers...when you are in so much pain all the time you try just to have some relief and if any little bit of information helps then we are willing to try it. There is no mystery to these pain patches we just try different things and the nice thing about these boards is that there are always new ideas.

Last edited by Mod08; 04-23-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I'll be honest Diet, if someone really wants to abuse drugs, they can take a lot of things we talk about on this board to the extreme.....And there is no shortage of information on the web....In general....Especially for abusers....They have their own sites, actually. I've stumbled upon them in doing countless hours of research. Each his own, I guess.

Unfortunately you are correct. It is very easy to obtain information on various sites.

I am sorry and I hope I did not offend you. It truly was not my intent. I was simply concerned that someone might innocently hurt themselves doing it incorrectly. I did not mean that I was afraid of them using this method to abuse the medication. After re-reading my post, I can see how you interpreted it that way.

Please know that I respect you and value your opinion. You have helped me immensely, you explained the blood plasma levels, and I now understand why my doctor changed my script as he did thanks to your explanation. I look forward to you responding to my posts and sharing your wealth of information. You obviously have been through alot on the pm front and are very knowledgeable.

Again, please realize that I did not mean to offend or hurt your feelings. I am sorry if I did. I would never say anything to hurt someone meanly that simply is not in my nature.

Pepper

Last edited by ms_west; 04-22-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Hey Ann....I say if it works....Go with it. Like you said.....When you're in major pain and have been, sometimes the little things make a BIG difference. To your point, I think holding your hand over the patch for a minute is key, which I'm betting many don't do.

Like you, I'm just here to offer support and help. I've got my condition under control and etc.....Feel very fortunate actually compared to many who come here for support....I feel so bad for them....Amazing how many Docs out there just don't care!

Ex

Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Well Ex I tried going with no patch cover. I put the patch on clean dry skin on my upper arm and put my hand over it for one minute. It did good for 36 hours but when I went to check it around noon it was lifting up on one side so I had to go ahead and put the patch cover over it. I will try the heat thing but I don't have a blow dryer so I will have to heat up my bed pillow buddy and put on the area. The problem with me taking a shower is I sweat like crazy when I take even something remotely extra warm shower. Therefore I am still sweating 15 minutes later usually after the shower.

Do you know of areas on the body with the least amount of sweat pores? . If I knew this, it would help alot. I know everyone is different. Plus, with the Percocet I tend to sweat more when it kicks in due to the energizing factor or whatever it is. I won't use the deoderant/antiperspirant again since it seemed to have clogged the patch. Maybe the key is using ONLY THE DEODERANT KIND with no antiperspirant. I need to start using the nasonex spray again because since the weather has gotten warmer, my skin is breaking out worse under and around the patch. That's all I need is something else to go wrong and need to stop using it. No way my doctor would not like me telling him that.

brian

Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
It did good for 36 hours but when I went to check it around noon it was lifting up on one side so I had to go ahead and put the patch cover over it.
To be honest, that's about the most I get out of mine....That's why I like the patch a day routine...I get a new one each day. But, that's a different story. No way mine would stay on for 72 hours, that's for sure.

Quote:
Do you know of areas on the body with the least amount of sweat pores? If I knew this, it would help alot.
Your upper outer arms and under your armpits about 8-10 inches down (on your side). I've tried back and I sweat there a lot. Some (Izzy, I think) report that the thigh and even ankle work well. I haven't tried them though. I get the best results on the outer part of my arm...Like where one would have a tattoo (if you had one of course).

Quote:
I will try the heat thing but I don't have a blow dryer so I will have to heat up my bed pillow buddy and put on the area.
I would purchase a very cheap hair dryer and see if it works...If it doesn't, you can always return it.

Quote:
The problem with me taking a shower is I sweat like crazy when I take even something remotely extra warm shower. Therefore I am still sweating 15 minutes later usually after the shower.
Try taking a colder one...Even if you don't, you could apply the patch 20-30 minutes afterwards....Clean, dry, warm skin is best. I shower each evening before bed...That would be a good time to try. You could lay down, watch tv or whatever, and once you've cooled off, apply the patch.

Quote:
Plus, with the Percocet I tend to sweat more when it kicks in due to the energizing factor or whatever it is.
Same problem here....Can't stand the effects of it.

Quote:
That's all I need is something else to go wrong and need to stop using it. No way my doctor would not like me telling him that.
Yes, I would be careful what you tell him as discontinuation may be possible.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 04-23-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Closed Thread