It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Adderall And Pain Meds...

Hi everyone~
Ive been really struggling with the idea of going back onto my ADD meds. Its been 7 years since I was on Ritalin instant release 15 mg 3 times a day, and before that I was on Straterra, and another one I cant remember. Ive been on and off of them for the last 10 yrs.
I never liked the way they made me feel, but I did have a better life while on them. I know I need to be, but side effects, ect. I guess its all part of coping, so here I go again.
I had such a bad experience on Ritalin, that my doc and I are thinking about adderall. Is trhere anyone else here in PM that is also being treated for ADD/ADHD?
Ive also posted on the ADD board for some help as well.
Thanks for any info or any responses. It would mean alot to me...
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Adderall And Pain Meds...

Do I remember correctly that you are on the golf tour? If so, is this not a banned substance?

Just be careful, OK?

On the bright side, these meds are used as PM adjuvants, which serve to enhance the pain killing effects of opioids. I take Dexedrine, which is another med used for ADD, and it does add to the analgesia provided by my LA pain med.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks Steve,
I currently have my manager/support/legal team investigating the situation, and I appreciate you looking out for me.
I had no other knowledge that it could help me in my PM. Actually the conversation with my doc wasnt at work, we were discussing it when I bumped into him skiing a few weeks ago, and we agreed to discuss it this week.
I will be sure to do what is right of course, but if you have ANY other info about how it can also assist in PM, that would be fabulous. Id love to follow up on that.
Ive heard its really expensive as well. I wonder if it can be gotten from my compound pharmacy, but not by brand name.
Thank you for the response...I was hoping id get some feedback, and Ive not heard anything on the ADD board.
I find I get tons more help on this board than ANY other I ever post on. I dont think it has anything to do with the fact a lot of us have bbeen around for a bit, but that ppl who live with chronic pain are very supportive, and helpful people, period.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 04-23-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

IZZY'SMOM,

These ADD meds are central nervous system stimulants, and, as such, potentiate opioids (Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, Dexedrine). Strattera is an exception. As you know, i's for ADD, but it is not a stimulant. My wife uses it for ADD. However, because it's in a different class, Straterra is not an opioid adjuvant either, but it may also not be a banned substance (as you may already know).

So if the tour gives you grief over Adderall, you might look at Straterra again. It's still under patent and fairly pricey.

steve

Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregar View Post
I've been on adderall for about 5 years now for ADD. I'm not sure what you mean by these meds being a potentiate for opioids. Can you explain how they are supposed to interact? I've read that they can be used to help counter sleepiness from meds that cause drowsiness but I've never read anything saying they can help with making opioids more potent...
I'm not a chemist, but I'll try to relay some of what I've read regarding this feature of central nervous system stimulants potentiating opioid analgesia.

I think many have seen the benefit of caffeine on migraine headaches. For some reason, caffeine affects both the blood vessels surrounding the brain and other chemicals that helps to reduce migraine pain. Well, it seems meds like dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) all enhance opioid analgesia. One reference I read states that these stimulants possess pain killing properties all by themselves (like caffeine), and also that they inhibit the uptake of noradrenaline, meaning that they prevent the body from absorbing noradrenaline, leaving it to continue to actively work - and this also has analgesic effects. So, by combining opioid analgesia with noradrenaline analgesia, you get a two-for-one attack on pain. The stimulants also serve to reduce the sedative effects of opioids, which allows the brain to make full use of the opioid without the depressing effect of sedation.

That's about all I have so far. If I run across any additional info I'll be sure to post it.

steve

Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
(male)

tbreeze27 HB User

I am on Adderall and Oxycontin. . . I have never had a problem and the pharmacy and doctors have said nothing. . . But who knows. . . If you read my posts. . . you'll see my many problems

Old 04-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Well as you already know I would like to try something that could counteract the drowsy sleep factor but you all know that is NOT going to happen. That would definitely set of my "disease" if you know what I mean. Heck, I had an addictionologist tell me that I was setting it off with caffeine, uh, I am not giving up my caffeine I definitely would be disabled and not working.

brian

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

I've heard Dr. Dean Edell say that if the government properly understood the nature of caffeine, it would have been scheduled as a controlled substance along with so many other drugs when the Harrison Act was passed in (I believe) 1914. Others included morphine, heroin, etc. Edell said that caffeine is as strong as the scheduled stimulants and just as addictive/abuse prone. I know for sure that the few times I've decided to stop caffeine the resulting headache has been awful enough to stop me in my tracks. Just terrible. I no longer use caffeine and will never again become dependent, but I so miss coffee and such. Trying to get going in the morning is nearly impossible without it.

But heck, we all need some kind of vice. And in the big scheme of things caffeine is pretty small potatoes.

steve

Closed Thread