It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User
This is crazy

I had told everyone a while back that my PM doctor said they would no longer see chronic pain patients. Well i am trying to find a new dr. and its impossible. The place i was going to referred me to a place like 2 and a half hours away or something like that and i do good to drive 20 minutes down the road. So looking for one around here where i live and alot of them say they arent taking new patients. I am 4 weeks out of the surgery and the dr is still doing all the meds right now but he wont forever. Just so aggervating and i am trying to not stress today cause my twins turn 9 today. But its just not easy when so much is on your mind.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: This is crazy

I am very sorry for your ordeal and I really have to shake my head that a pain clinic has the power to turn away chronic pain patients to fend for themselves. I sure do hope someday that someone takes these pain doctors/clinics and ask their states medical boards how these pain clinics can just turn away a pain patient just because they don't want to treat them. There is something terribly wrong with these different systems across the united states. Some people are treated so well and then there are clinics like yours that refuse to treat you knowing you can't go without the medicine without either going through a terrible withdrawal and certainly back to terrible pain...a double whammy. I just don't get it.
You know ...what you are going through just doesn't happen everywhere. We don't even have pain clinics where we live and all doctors treat you for whatever you need and if it is chronic pain then that is what they by law have to do....because they are the only act in town. However, if I were in your shoes I think I would have to fight the system! This just isn't right so but all I can do is wish you well and wish you didn't have to search on your own without the aid of a doctor. It just isn't right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

Thank You i am going to ask my doctor but he is in northern Louisiana and i live in south LA but i dont know if it will help at least getting a referal. I have an appointment with my FD in June ( yea you call now and get an appointment for then) but he does not do anything for the chronic pain i know he will help with the nerve pain but thats it. This really sucks i know you cant get meds from different docs i just wish i could get one to do it all. I cant beleive they turned me away either i had been going to that clinic for 6 months but others have been going there years. I could not imagine what they are going through.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I wouldn't completely give up on the clinic that is 2.5 hours away, as crazy as that may seem. I would go that far, probably even further, to see mine if I had to. Is there anyway someone could go with you? Or drive you? I'd at least go to the first appt and explain what's going on distance wise, and maybe they can agree to see you every other month, or even better, once every 90 days. In January, the DEA put out a notice permitting CII post dating scripts for up to 90 days. Something to think about anyway.

I'm guessing the reason they referred you to this particular clinic is because they've "pre-screened" them to a degree and this one will script the meds you need. Some more to think about.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you are going through this.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 04-25-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

Thanks Executor i will see and think about what you said it makes since i may not have a choice if i cant get one here where i live.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I agree with Ex. I travel 1 hour away to see my PM doc. I would absolutely go even farther if I had to. It's too hard to find a good one sometimes and this place might be the one. I would at least give them a try. My husband drives me most of the time and my doc only asks to see me every 3 months.

It's at least worth an initial visit. This way, you'll know for sure and have no regrets. Take care and best of luck, cmpgirl

Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

All I can say is what the *%#*? I can't believe a PAIN CLINIC is turning away someone that has CHRONIC PAIN. I just don't even know what to think. I would call your health insurance company and ask for a list of Pain Management doctors. There just have to be some that are closer than 2 1/2 hours away. Oh man that makes me mad just thinking about it.

brian

Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
(male)

Torry590 HB User

Same here. I live in Tracy, CA and the doctor I see is in the East Bay (Walnut Creek)

It takes me about an hour to get there. He is good though, and I would totally drive even 3 hours to see him. He helps me so much. It is very hard to find a good one, so if hes good, its worth the drive.

Current Meds: Vicodin (Hydrocodone 5/500), Ativan (Tranquilizer), Nortriptyline HCL (Anti-Depressant)

Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I agree with Ex, I go to see my PM, Neurologist and surgeon 1 1/2 (without traffic) hours away and couple of times it took us almost 4 hours on a road due to traffic.
Don't take me wrong- no complaining on my part; I would go to see 3 of them even if would take me longer than that.
Of course everybody's cases are different and of course this is not fun to be in pain in a car for so long. But to find a good DR is a blessing and sometimes we have to sacrifice something else.

Good luck to you and I hope you will make the right decision for yourself...

Old 04-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I agree, when my old doctor opened up her own practice, I had to travel pretty far for appointments, It would take me about 5-6 hours there and back, on the light rail train from one end of the line to the other, then 3 different busses, then a 6 block walk and then back. It is worth it if you know they will keep you on your meds.

Another idea is to ask your pharmacist, they know who treats cp in your area, because they fill the scripts. they will also probably not pass on the name of anyone shady. Have you called your insurance company? They might be able to help as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 04-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
Another idea is to ask your pharmacist, they know who treats cp in your area, because they fill the scripts.
Absolutely! When I first got into PM, I was seen by a very caring Doc about an hour away. Long story short, he decided to relocate out west because he always wanted to live and work in the mid west as he was into hunting/fishing in a big way. Thus, I needed a new PM Doc, and he gave me a list of a couple to consider. I went straight to my pharmacist and the one that was the closest to my home that I was seriously considering, the pharmacist told me that he pretty much only scripted Methadone....Not that there is anything wrong with that drug, but he said, if you're looking to continue what you're on, you probably won't be able to because that Doc doesn't write any scripts for your meds.

He then recommended a Doc that he saw a lot of scripts for that were all diverse and some were for the meds I was taking....I settled on him, and the experience has been great.

As I've preached long and hard on this board, your pharmacist should be an extension of your physician. A good pharmacist will only enhance and help your particular situation.

Ex

Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

I have never thought about the Pharmacist either. Unfortunatly i dont have insurance so its self pay for me. I am going to see again on monday what i can find out if i feel up to it. I am sorry to say i went to a b-day party earlier and when going tou to the picnic table with BBQ i tripped on a log and fel backwards in a big pile of bushes. I dont think i hurt myself but i will put a call in to dr on monday just in case. It just made me mad that alot of people were drinking and ASSUMED i was and i was NOT i know better. Anyway saying she should not be drinking and taking meds. UH it made me so made when people run their mouth when they dont know i have taken meds a while and i know enough not to jeoperdize anything. Sorry just ticks me off i would never. And then when we got home i missed the step and almost fell again but i caught myself on the trailer. I did not want to get one but i know its time for a cane i cant afford this falling i dont have any balance whatsoever.
Im not hurting just the scare of falling i guess and worried about the fusion healing.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

tmvincent:
yes I know what you mean and that is why I tell very "few" people about me being on medications. My mom doesn't think that I should be on them because she had a bad reaction to the patch, went way manic but she was on like 200mcg. I am grateful that I did not have the same reaction. Other people just do not understand. We all know that you don't drink on your meds so just ** them. This is another area to admit powerlessness, because you are powerless over what other people are going to think, say, and do. I know this helps me out alot although sometimes I still get ****** off what other people say.

brian

Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

Yea i went to Recovery at church and i have learned the 12 steps and i have a bible that has special passages you can read when you get aggervated but like you said that does not always help it aggervates me ALOT to cause they dont even know. I dont know i just say know before you judge. So that was fine with me anyway i went home early which is what i wanted to do a long time before that. And hubby knew i was aggervated and didnt say a word. Needless to say i dont think it bothered anything cause i was not sore the next day or anything i had to leave church a little early cause i couldnt handle the pain in right leg any longer.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I've done the same thing. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in probably 8 years, and people either don't understand why I don't drink anymore or assume I get so "high" from the meds, that I don't need to drink. I've tried to explain to so many, that the meds just don't work when combined with alcohol. And I would rather have the pain relief. Some get it, some don't. Oh well, we all know what they can do with their opinions!

I hope you can get this all sorted out soon. It is just rediculous that any clinic would just leave a pain patient hanging like that. I agree with the idea of asking a pharmacist. They usually do know who does what, and should be able to give some suggestions. Take care and keep us posted. cmpgirl

Closed Thread