It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Anybody know if Duragesic patch sticks better than Sandoz?

I am startin to have problems with the warmer weather and my patch sticking and even the overlay I put over the patch staying stuck. I am more active now than I used to be and the sweat is what makes it start coming off. I am still going to get the hair dryer and try the tip of cleaning the skin w/alcohol and then heating the skin & applying the patch before I make any changes. But for those that have been on Sandoz & Duragesic, is there a difference is how well they stick?

brian

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Anybody know if Duragesic patch sticks better than Sandoz?

I think so....Although it could be me "thinking" that because I'm convinced the "brand" is a much better product....I switched from Sandoz to Duragesic this past month, and I think it sticks better. I also find that the hairdryer trick works great.

Also, when you look @ the Duragesic patch, I swear it looks like there is more gel / med in the patch. Through all my research, I'm convinced that the brand is 20% more potent due to the issues we discussed with generics. When I first switched, it took me a couple of days to level out, despite being on the patch for over 6 months....I know it was more potent.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ex,
Can I ask you real quick what kind of pain you have? Where exactly is your pain and what kind of pain is it (ie nerve, muscle, all the above

brian

Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

My pain is primarily the result of surgical trauma. I've had a number of sinus and head surgeries which have resulted in some nerve damage as well as general trauma....Lots of drilling, re-construction, and tissue taken out thereby exposing nerve endings. For example, one of my surgeries was for an imbeded infection that wouldn't respond to antibiotics....They had to go in and literally peel it out, and took lots of surrounding good tissue with it. Thus, many of the nerve endings were damaged and are now exposed. So, the entire area is extremely sensitive.

All of the above is bad enough, but since I have severe allergies, the swelling and etc that happens year round exacerbates the situation.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 04-24-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

djbds HB User

I used to use Duragesic 25mcg/hr patches that were about 1/2 inch long by 1/4 inch wide...super small. They had more of a real thick substance that strickly adhered to the skin through thick and thin...however, all of a sudden in mid-2006, the patches switched to a gel-like substance and the patch itself was much larger.
The Sandoz in my opinion are second rate...they never stuck to me, no matter what I tried...and the new Duragesics are not much better. Ask your pharmacist about the small patches.
ALSO...you may or may not know, however, there was a FULL recall of Duragesic/Sandoz 25mcg/hr patches with exp dates of 10/2009 and prior. My doctor was actually prescribing them to me and the pharmacist was filling them...THEY BOTH KNEW back in FEBRUARY 2004 (Original recall date) and did NOTHING. MAKE SURE your medical handlers are WELL AWARE of the recalls regarding ANY of your medications. I am not speaking to you as if you don't care or pay attention to your medical care, however, I thought that I was on top of my pain management care...and look what happened to me!!! The recalls are available on the FDA website...also...the patches were recalled due to DEATH, EXTREME side-effects, etc...
Quick question...do you take any anti-epileptic/anti-seizure medications? I am asking because my situation is much like yours in the sense that I too have extensive nerve damage, caused by post-operative neuropathy...also, my surgeon screwed me over big-time with an unecessary treatment that ended up causing real bad nerve damage. Please let me know...because I am on a pain regiment that I find VERY effective and I believe it may help you...

-Dave

Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbds View Post
Ask your pharmacist about the small patches.
Those would be the "Mylan" brand. Very small and convenient, but the feedback has not been good.

Ex

Old 04-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbds View Post
ALSO...you may or may not know, however, there was a FULL recall of Duragesic/Sandoz 25mcg/hr patches with exp dates of 10/2009 and prior.

Quick question...do you take any anti-epileptic/anti-seizure medications? because I am on a pain regiment that I find VERY effective and I believe it may help you...-Dave
Dave, first of all I knew about the recall as soon as it came out since several board members posted right after the recall came out. The good thing was it did not effect me since I use the 50mcg patch. I am not interested in the smaller patch (Mylan brand). I tried those and found them ineffective and felt like I was going through withdrawal (which I probably was), since they did not seem as strong as the Sandoz brand.

I do take anti-serizure meds (Trileptal, Lyrica) along with the patch and Percocet for BT pain. I would be interested to know about what kind of things you do for effective pain relief from nerve pain. Let me know.

brian

Closed Thread