It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Rehab physio

Hi just a quick question for those of you that would have had physio after a spinal fusion. I am nearly 12months post L4 - L5 L5 S1 with rods and cage insertion. Today I started rehab physio where they deal with all spinal issues and severe spinal cases. While I know I should trust them completely and she didnt put pressure on the fusion area. Great force was used on all up upper back, where she said there is no mobility at all.

She is trying to get movement back into my upper back and get me more mobile and flexible as i am very "poker" and straight. She told me i would be very very sore after it, and especially tomorrow, but could be surprised and be okay aswell.

I really am afraid of the force that is used............ did anyone else who had physio had these hands on and more or less kill you with the pain. All along my physio entailed was gentle exercises with a different physio group. And I was getting no where. I know all this hands on and kneading aswell in my back will losen out the muscles that are so so tight and tense.

Just wondering what you think? I am fully confident they know what they are doing and have alot of clients going to them in wheelchairs and strokes etc......... its just I am kind of afraid, being honest.

Round1

Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Rehab physio

Hey Round1: I haven't had a fusion, and can't offer advice about that, but just wanted to chime in about the physio. I am sure it is going to be very sore, especially the muscles. I was wondering, does you doc have you take a muscle relaxer? I would think it would help with that tightness and make the physio less intense. I may be off the mark, because I'm not familiar with the surgery, but to me, it couldn't make things any worse...

Anyway, don't forget to use ice and/or heat. Even a hot shower. Rest up, my friend, as much as you can. With this new therapy added, you'll need to pamper yourself a bit. Take care, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Your surgery is stable and now you need to loosen up the back and because people walk in a protective way when they are recovering I have no doubt that your upper back is so immobile. I don't think she is doing anything wrong...she might be doing Rolfing ....deep tissue massage. It is fine and some people swear it is the greatest. There people that just do that type of massage. I would guess you might be stiff and sore with any amount of physical therapy but stick with it and I know you will feel better and be more mobile.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Round1,

I am fused from T9 to my sacrum. Which if you stop to think, is a major part of my back. I have been in therapy for the past two years to gain back my mobility from the broken back, and to regain use of my left quad muscle. My therapist is the head of the clinic that I go to. He is definitely a "hands on" guy.

The areas that stiff and not very moveable are treated to the extreme shall I say. There are days that I head from therapy to home and the hot tub. I always take my pain meds before I go to therapy, not after. And I plan on an early night and being sore the next morning. I have two days between visits-and I need them to recover! LOL. He tells me that as stiff as I have gotten requires some pain and discomfort. I sometimes think his hands are going to come right out through the front!

Don't worry. You will probably feel miserable after, but eventually they will get you loose. But make sure that you take your meds, before you go, take your muscle relaxers, bring some hankies along....although the crocodile tears didn't work with my therapist , and don't forget to breath. I've used my Lamaze breathing more in PT than I ever did when I was either pregnant or teaching it!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Oh i bake you made me laugh...........bringing the hankies, and saying breathe. When I was at the physio I felt I was in the labour ward !!!!! and she kept saying breathe........ breathe.......... and then I would hold my breath and she would shout breathe........... and i just said I'd rather not......... breathe.... just put me out of this misery ..... she saw the funny side .....

Thank you for the reassurance i went straight to bed after typing the post and just came down to check if I had got some help. Thank you it is great comfort as I am heading into the night-time here and really really didnt know how I would feel getting out of the bed now..... Due to take the oxycontin in the next 30 min . Cmpgril i was wondering whether to take a muscle relaxant or not......... but seeing I am upping the oxycontin i dont want to be totally out........ I will just wait and see.

AnnD thanks, yes my upper back is totally immobile....... it is locked solid and I walk in a very protective way..... that is putting it mildly..... I have been given other ways of describing it but wouldnt be aloud to post. My shoulders aswell are all "up" as she said I need to relax ... its as if all my upper body is now taking my pain........

Thank you for your replies it really really has helped my mind and but it at ease. I know it was my pain management guy told me about it,,,,,,, and set it up..... but at the end of the day its your back, and we have only one and we have to mind it as best we can.. thanks, I would be lost with out this support.

Round1

Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Round1, sorry you are hurting but you know that saying "NO PAIN NO GAIN" that applies to Rehab. I think you will be sore and it is expected. If you don't have to go anywhere, I would think about taking that muscle relaxer now or at least at bedtime.

Good luck and I pray that tomorrow your pain is a little better.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Round1,

I keep telling my therapist that, ummm, Ty, you have your hands where it really hurts. Could you please move them?
He looks at me, smiles, and says....no.
But it hurts, I say.
Oh, I'm sorry he replys.
Good, can you move them now?
No. I'm not a new therapist.
What's that got to do with it?
Well, when I was new, I would pull my hands back and move them to somehwere else and gently massage another area. Now I just smile and keep on working. If it hurts for you, it's good for me, he said with a sadistic smile. I'm a dad, I don't fall for that hurt face look and big tears. I will, however, remind you to breathe please, and release your butt.
Thanks alot, Ty. You sure know how to make me feel better!
But, my job is to make you better, not to feel better.
So far I haven't thought up a suitable retort. It's hard to do when you are face down on a table trying not to reach around and slap his hands off of your back, breathe, release your butt muscles, what else?! Drat....and I'm a Mom and I fell for those lines.

So, take your muscle relaxers and just hang around for awhile. and Breathe. As my son says, it's the law!

Last edited by ibake&pray; 04-25-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Round1: I just wanted to let you know that there are some muscle relaxers that are supposed to not make you as drowsy. Skelaxin is one, I believe. I know I've taken some that make me drowsy, but don't have that effect on others. Maybe after your system gets more used to the Oxy, you can try one. Just a thought. Hope you are relaxing.......Take care, cmpgirl

Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Robaxin is another one that I have used that does not make me sleepy like flexeril and soma.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Round 1,
I was going to PT for 8 month after my first fusion. I was going only for one reason: they had warm water walking pool, which helped me with my walking.

Rather than that they did not do any really good work on me: stretches, heat/ice only. I could do it all by myself at home so I left them after 8 month and continue all the above at home, plus I tried to walk every day for as long as I could handle.

After my second fusion 12/07 my surgeon just sent me to PT, I want to find place where they do "hands on". I want to feel they really work on me and I want to see results. Diet is right: No pain, No gain. Of course you have to be careful, never hurts; I hope you will see good results soon. My surgeon wrote prescription for a lot of different things to be done, and at the end... massage. Boy, do I look forward to it!!!
And this is so right: take your pain meds before the PT session, will help you with pain.

Good luck to you. Please, let us know about your results, very curious.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Moldova,

That is it, my physio for the last 9 months has been pelvic tilts and heat...... and basically go off and forget about me. She never put her hands on me and I found it a total total waste of time............. Then if I was sore that day she would let me lye down with a heat pack and that was it !!!

So I am delighted now with this physio but was really afraid aswell of the amount of pressure she was using. I really really thought i would be sore today but thank god i wasnt. I was dreading waking up this morning, I was saying I'd possibly wont be able to move, but I was fine, and I actually had a good day. It was my first day on the 15mg and difene slow release. I am just feeling kind of sick and headaches, but that kind of comes and goes........... so I can handle that.

How are you doing? with the arm/hand pain?
Round1

Closed Thread