It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

sunshine1973 HB User
Exclamation prescription written wrong...

Do doctors usually not make misstakes when writing a prescription for percocet?? How can the number amount be written incorrectly on the script.. like 5/500 which was used on a previous script for vicoden at that same office visit which was the dose that was written on the percocet script? I know sometimes misstakes happen and this was my first time being prescribed percocet? I am wondering if it was written incorrectly to put off this decision to start me on a better pain plan? This is from family doctor...
Just wanted to get some info on this kind of situation that probably has happened alot of times...

Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: prescription written wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1973 View Post
Do doctors usually not make misstakes when writing a prescription for percocet?? How can the number amount be written incorrectly on the script.. like 5/500 which was used on a previous script for vicoden at that same office visit which was the dose that was written on the percocet script?Thanks
Well, doctors are human too and do make mistakes although they are usually very careful when it comes to writing scripts for Schedule II meds(Percocet). If it is written for Percocet 5/500 then that is an actual dose and can be filled at the pharmacy. Is it written as 5/500? I would imagine if the Vicoden was not working well then he went ahead and wrote the Percocet for 5/500. He would not intentionally write for a wrong dose so that it could not be filled. Unless he has some mental issues of his own

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine1973 HB User

He wrote it for percocet 5/500
#100 (one hundred) and I don't understand any other part of the script.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

That is a valid dose and script then. You can get it filled. If you don't feel comfortable taking this dose, get a pill splitter and split the pill in half. You can start out taking half a pill.

brian

Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
(female)

sunshine1973 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
That is a valid dose and script then. You can get it filled. If you don't feel comfortable taking this dose, get a pill splitter and split the pill in half. You can start out taking half a pill.

brian
The pharmist said it was written incorrectly and that I have to take it back to the doctors office and have the physician rewrite it, that it is written wrong?
christina

I did drive back up to my doctor and he wondered why the pharmist did not call him? He corrected the script, it only needed to be written in an exact amount strength, even though the pharmist could have called him, she didn't! I feel my doctor was sincere and the pharmist was just letting me know that she is the boss....anyways, I will always check around to get my script filled in the future because I found out my doctor is sincere and I am very glad he is my doctor.....

Last edited by sunshine1973; 06-20-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: T update with the results of the outcome of this thread!

Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Did they say exactly what it was on the Rx that was incorrect because it is not the dose??

brian

Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

I'm thinking it is because it is written for "percocet" 5/500. I don't believe "percocet" has 5/500, it is 5/325. There are other Oxycodone meds with APAP that are 5/500, however, since the doc wrote for "percocet" then the pharmacist has to fill it with either percocet or it's generic equivelent. He could write you for Oxycodone 5/500 and that would expand the range of generics they could fill for you.

Good luck, Take care.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I am surprised it caused a problem, usually unless a doctor writes DAW (Dispense As Written) the pharmacy is free to give you a generic equivilent. at worst it should have been easily resolved with a phone call, is this your regular pharmacy?

I was also a liittle confused by the OP, did you think that because the 5/500 vicodin (hydrocodone) wasnt working, he gave you the same dose? because its more than just a different medication (oxycodone) it is stronger than the hydro.

HTH, Fabby

Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The problem is the pharmacist....I'd take it to a different one...Or wait until a new pharmacist is at the one you currently use if it's a national chain. No way the Doc wrote it trying to "put you off."

When he wrote it for Percocet, that's the brand name and it can be filled with any generic equal, or a Oxycodone substitute. This pharmacist is being overly strict. He should have filled with Oxycodone 5/500. Percocet is the brand name often used to describe Oxycodone in general.

Sorry you're having to go through this. Your other option is to call the nurse, tell them the problem and that you'll be coming in to exchange the script.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

There is a version of an oxycodone 5/500 tablet called roxicet, More than likely the pharmy just doesn't stock that product and keeps the 5/325 on hand and all the other strengths of percocet. You can take the script to another pharmacy that carries roxicet and get it filled somewher that does carry it. Basicaly the pharamcist is just wrong, everyone makes mistakes and it's certainly not a ploy by the doc. Rather than waiting for the present pharmy to order a strength he doesn't keep on hand or have the doc rewrite the script for 5/500 capsules or tylox which I'm sure he would keep on hand. you would find you med quicker by simply looking elsewhere for a pharamcy that carries roxicet 5/500.

Good luck, Dave

Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

It happens. My pain management Dr. wrote me a prescription for Oxycodone 10mg. I took it on a Sunday to get filled. The Pharmacist tells me the prescription is wrong because they don't make 10mg of Oxycodone. So they call the Pain center. They get the nurse on call for the weekend. She asks them to change it to Percocent then since Oxycodone is the generic. They say no. The next day the nurse calls Walgreens back. They agree to give me 5 pills from a fax. Then my husband picked up a prescription for me. The next prescription 2 weeks later was mailed to me. I open it and the date is wrong. I can't remember what it was. So I had a dilema. Do I fix the date and get accused of altering a prescription? So I call the nurse and she has to write a new one that my husband has to pick up again. The nurse writes all the prescriptions for the center. The doctors just sign their names on the slips. Guess it is easier for one person to keep records. You would think a pain management Dr. that has been doing this for years would know that Oxycodone does not come in 10mg. Not sure about your doctor but my place is like an assembly line. I like them but it is one right after another. So I guess they screw up. That day the nurse didn't write the prescription, the doctor did.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Same thing happens @ my Doc's office....One nurse writes all the scripts and the Docs just sign them....Sometimes a Doc who didn't even see me signs them. I guess it's whatever Doc happens to walk by. Not uncommon at all for mistakes to be made, and depending on the pharmacist, someone can make a big deal out of nothing.

This is why I check my scripts very thoroughly before I leave....I find one about once a year. My last one had an incorrect date, and I didn't catch it....My pharmacist did though. It was dated 2007. He filled it though because he said that he realized it was a honest mistake. I've been using this same pharmacist for years and he is a great person....Owns the pharmacy.

Ex

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

At each monthly visit my doc writes my scripts right in front of me. Then he hands it over for me to examine. In the early days he did make mistakes and it cost me some serious driving time to get corrections. Now I inspect them before leaving the exam room and he knows to expect it. It's almost gotten to be funny, because I think he gets nervous now, and still makes little mistakes that I ask him to fix right there. I get entertainment value out of this because whenever he takes my blood pressure it's higher than when the nurse takes it - some call it white coat effect. So when it comes time for writing scripts it's my turn to make him nervous.

Bottom Line - docs are human, and do make mistakes. Expect it to happen and build in a means to ensure the Rx is correct if at all possible. This is one reason I want to see him every month instead of every 3 months, because I just know if he mails the scripts to me I'll have to get (some of) 'em fixed.

steve

Old 04-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie28 View Post
pain management Dr. wrote me a prescription for Oxycodone 10mg. I took it on a Sunday to get filled. The Pharmacist tells me the prescription is wrong because they don't make 10mg of Oxycodone.
Was the reasone because they didn't put the SR(sustained release) on the end of the oxycodone? Or did they actually mean Percocet(oxycodone APAP)? just curious

brian

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

My doc sent me mine this month, and he had written them, AND addressed the envelope. Hes swamped with pts. every 15 minutes, so I consider myself sincerely blessed.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread