It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Just abit of advice please re pain meds.

Hi there,

Well just an update and of course advice !!

I am now since Saturday taking 15mg of Oyxcontin in the am. Taking 15mg 12 hours later. I know some of you said about working it out about 3 times a day as we find it certainely doesnt cover the 12 hours pain. I didnt as I am just trying to see how 15mg helps me... even for a short time, what can I do on the full 15 mg. Anyway I did notice an improvement over the weekend but come 11 or 12 I just get really sleepy and need to sleep it off, but thats okay. Normally an hour is okay.

But............. I have not introduced the amytriptline yet ! My rheumy (who I will not be going to again !!) gave me 25 mg . Pain Managment guy freaked as he said I should start on 10mg, thankfully I hadnt started on it. I really just wanted to see what the oxycontin 15mg would do for me. But should I wait abit longer for this sick/tired feeling to pass, or should I start on the 10mg of Amytriptline? I know brian was on about a pill splitter for the 25mg of Amytriptline well they were so tiny you couldnt do it. Then I got the 10mg and they are a much bigger tablet than the 25mg !!!! work that one out !!!

I was thinking even if I just took half one. make it a 5mg and introduce it to my body... and see what happens. He isnt using it for depression although at this stage I dont care what it does once I get relief he said it is good for stopping pain signals. So just advice what do you think, wait a few days for this feel to pass or just introduce it now and see how I get on..... Not phoning the PM on this one. He thinks I am taking them all at this stage.
But didnt want to do that, as I want to know what one is making an improvement or not, or which one makes me sick or not. Does that make sense??

Round1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Just abit of advice please re pain meds.

Round1: I would definitely start them at night, because as Juliet said, they will really knock you out for a bit, til you get used to them. Especially since the Oxy is still tiring you out. It's always best, in my opinion, to start different meds and even new doses of current meds, one at a time. The reason is twofold. 1) If they both have the potential for sedation, it won't be a double whamy and 2) if you are going to have any adverse reactions or side effects, it is best to know which med is causing them.

It sounds like these new med changes and the new PM doc are helping things to look up a little for you. I'm so glad you are finally being heard by a doctor for a change. This PM sounds like a keeper. As so many have said, this is a process and the process can be a good one or a horrible one, depending greatly on the care one is recieveing from their doctor(s). I hope you are having slightly better days. How have you been feeling, overall? Do you feel the physio is actually helping? I know it can be painful right after you are finished, but are you noticing any improvement in general?

Take care my friend. And keep us posted as you try the meds. cmpgirl

Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

thanks juilet, I really dont have pain when i am lying down, so thankfully that is the only place I get relief.... and normally have a good nights sleep touch wood. I was really more worried about feeling sick on them. Did you feel that way? I dont mind been sleepy its the feeling sick, part and like you are on a boat rolling ......... I had a bad reaction to a painkiller before and was out of it for nearly 3 days...... so that is why I am kind of over concerned . No I dont work, but would be driving my son to school in the morning. But he wont be back till about 5.30 tomorrow, so maybe tonight is the night to knock it on the head and take it. How are you doing pet?
Thanks for your help, also you said you got some relief from it, please god the same will be for me. Today I am having alot more pain and I am wondering is the oxycontin doing anything at all. Just having a bad day of it.

Round 1

Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Round1, are you taking the 15 mg dose of oxy in the am and pm yet? If you are and not having a real problems then I would go on the night time med. I agree you should make sure one med is okay before adding a second med.

I would also make a back plan for your son at 5:30 tomorrow since you have had problems before with meds. You can always cancel it if you don't need it.

Good luck and I pray you get some relief soon.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

sharonn HB User

I take about 75-90 mgs of oxycodone throughout the day and amytriptiline(15 mg.) at night...Although I am very groggy in the A.M. it really has helped with deep restortive sleep and pain levels in general. 5 mgs. is also a waste of time for me and 25 was too constipating and sedating. Believe me..I have been tweaking this "formula" for 3 years and I think I am way more functional now that I have found the right combo. I also take xanax as needed when I absolutely cannot sleep so having said all that....I hope you figure out by trial and erreor what works for you. Remember..a good night's sleep is crucial and helps repair your body and restore your mind....best of luck...Sharonn

Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

cmpgirl and diet, I think I posts crossed in cyberspace ! I replied when there was only one reply and it took ages to go,,,,,,,, and then went blank. When I went back into it then saw your posts.

Anyway I have taken my 10mg of Amtriptyline (cant even spell now as I am exhausted and headache full force) I took it about 2 hours ago. Diet yes last saturday I started the full 15mg in the morning and 15 at night.

Thanks for your advice will let you know in the morning how I am feeling
Zonked wise..... I know it will take awhile to notice the pain,,, so wont go there. I just dont want the sick feeling. So I am hitting the wooden hill, have a good night folks or evening 11.30 here Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Round1

cmpgirl, how is the BP going?

Old 04-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

round1:
I was thinking that the reason you might be feeling groggy and slightly lightheaded is with the anti-inflammatory. I notice this too when I take ibuprofen along with my other meds. The anti-inflammatory actually makes the opiate/opiods stronger because it thins your blood. You might want to try not taking the anti-inflammatory for 1 day and see what happens. That feeling might just go away.

I would suggest taking the amitryptiline 10mg early in the evening and make sure you are ready for 10hours in bed. I don't take it but my night meds make me pretty groggy and I usually sleep 10-11 hours and I have to plan on staying in bed that long or it feels like I am "drunk" when I am getting up in the morning. Keep us posted on your progress.

brian

Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
(male)

niap HB User
Red face Re: Just abit of advice please re pain meds.

Oxycontin does not come in 15 mgs....I hope you are not taking something else! Take care,

niap

Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niap View Post
Oxycontin does not come in 15 mgs....I hope you are not taking something else!
Yes, it does. It now comes in both 15 and 30mg.

Ex

Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round1 View Post
Anyway I did notice an improvement over the weekend but come 11 or 12 I just get really sleepy and need to sleep it off, but thats okay. Normally an hour is okay.
It's very typical for meds to have a "hangover" effect when you first start them, or go up on a dose. Whenever my Doc increases my meds, it takes me a while to adjust, physically....Comes with the territory.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

I took Elavil/amitryptiline for years. My insomnia was/is so bad that it takes enough meds to knock out a bull to get me to sleep. I took 75 mg around 8pm every night, and it did help my sleep, along with some other aids, like ProSom or Lunesta. I gained 30 pounds the first month I was on it and over 100 in total from the 10 years I was on it. I think it helped with pain, too, but it stopped working and I went off of it. Of course, the weight didn't drop off once I stopped, but after staying heavy for so long, and getting 10 years older, my metabolism is just shot.

I was surprised at how low a dosage everyone said they took, but then again, my insomnia requires a big hitter.

As far as other pain meds, I take Lyrica (150 mg, 2x daily), Flexeril, and just discontinued Celebrex and started Relafen today. I also take OTC stuff like ibuprofen, and I have some Vicodin for BT pain and Xanax for additional sleep aid or anxiety that I sometimes experience due to the pain. I also take Mirapex for Restless Legs Syndrome and Promethazine (generic Phenergan, the anti-nausea med) to help with sleep (it has sedating properties). And, the lovely CPAP machine for the sleep apnea I've developed since all this started 15 years ago.

I also took Topamax for a while. It helped with pain but caused depression after a while, so I had to go off. Klonopin is another one that did the same thing. It was extremely sedating but I had rages while I was on it, which is not my personality at all.

it's so hard to know what to take. I've tried countless other medications that were either ineffective or caused bad side effects. Since our chemical make-ups are so different, one thing works for me while it may not work for others and vice-versa. I have to be very careful about what I take since I still experience such a horrible tendency to have sleeplessness. I am so sensitive that I cannot take many vitamins and supplements. It has been a long series of trial and error, and unfortunately, many of us have to go through that to find the right combination of meds for our symptoms. Hopefully, a persistent doctor will work with you and help you get to a point where you can live with tolerable pain and decent sleep.

I wish you well....keep up the search. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Tex: I hope you don't mind my asking, but I believe from other posts that you and I are around the same age....I'm 46 (going to be 47 this yr.) Am I correct? The reason I ask, is that I am discovering that many issues that have popped up for me in the last few years, seem to be related to that lovely little female affliction I like to call mentalpause. Anxiety, high BP, sleeplessness/insomnia, changes in metabolism, etc. Have you had hormone levels lately or at all? I'm just curious, because we seem to share these things. I'm seeing my GYN this week and plan to discuss all of this with him.

Round1: I agree with Brian about the anti-inflams. I also get sleepy when I take them in combination with my other meds. It could also be the change in dosage as Ex said, or a combo of both! Lovely little dance we all do, isn't it? We should all have pharmacy degrees after a while!

I also wanted to answer your question re: my BP....as of the last 3 days, it has been pretty good. My systolic has been between 135 and 144 and my diastolic has been between 84 and 89, so fingers crossed that it stays that way. I just wish it hadn't taken them so long to increase the meds. I think this could have happened much sooner, if they had. Thank you so much for asking!

Last edited by cmpgirl; 04-29-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: sp

Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

I AM AWAKE JUST ABOUT !!!

Oh my God..... I took my 10mg (dont laugh !) at 10sh... okay brian hear you saying too late, I know........ I know... I should have taken earlier so tonight it is going to be 8 O'clock. I had a fantastic nights sleep,, couldnt wake up with the alarm, husband poking me, to say time to get up....... mmmmmmm
Son in for hugs...... mum why arent you hugging me.............. Zzzzzzz. So dragged myself out at 7.45 and sat in the shower.......... woke me........ I was delighted not to be sick.... that was my fear so I drove to the school and afterwards went out for a coffee.. and its 11 am here and I am still awake !!! put plan to lye down at 12sh now. I feel as executer said hungover but that is fine....... Do you know what is getting me mad though....... is the Rheumy starting me on 25mg..... after I telling him my experience before.... If I took 25mg I would be totally spaced........ and then wouldnt have tried them again.........

To answer a few questions.... I think oxycontin is available in different dosages in different countries. As I know I got 5mg and someone on the board said not possible.......... but they sell 5mg and 10 mg.. So at the moment I am taking 5mg and 10mg. The reason been I had prescription for 10mg and then PM upped it to 15 so I got 5mg........ Which I prefer as today I just took 10mg as I felt I didnt want to be totally Zonked,,,,, Thanks for all your help. Also just for information I was able to get the amytriptlyine in 10mg while people are told 25mg is the lowest. It just had to be ordered by the chemist. TexMom.......... my god I was looking at the doages and thinking 10mg knocks me out flat ........ and look at the mg's you are on.......... So Brian, taking your advice and have my tablets at 8 not 10 !! and giving myself the full 12 hours in the system !!!
Thank you all. While I am still in pain........ and know one tablet isnt going to cure.... I am thankfull that I can take at least 10mg and not be sick..... it is good when they recommend something that at least you can take. Hope I will be saying the same thing later, or tomorrow......

Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Juliet,

thanks for the encouragement, I was delighted that you found it reduced your pain....... that is what I am praying and praying for. I was saying really a week I should really know how if it is working. I am delighted you found it gave you relief.

I slept from 12 until 1 today. I will go and lye down again around 4, I feel I could sleep and sleep right now but if I do that my back just gets so sore from the bed. I am so glad I have nothing much on today.

thanks again round1

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Round1,

One of the first signs of relief for a pain exhausted patient is sleep. Some end up sleeping for a day or more. Often this is confused for too much med, but in reality it's the body finally at rest from the pain. Of course, with amitryptline, nearly anyone will sleep.

I am SO GLAD for you.

steve

Closed Thread