It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Advice on ending Pain Management Relationship

Hi, I was just wondering do you do anything formally when you are done with Pain Management? I had the Radio Frequency and the pain is worse. So my Primary Dr. said I should not go back. He is going to treat me now with pain management in that he will prescribe my meds now. Should I write a letter to the Pain Management Dr. telling him I will not be coming back and that I will continue under my Primary Doctor's care? I was just thinking that it could look like I was drug seeking because my primary just gave me two prescriptions for Oxycotin and Oxycodone. There may be a time I need to go back to Pain Management for my neck. So I would not want to walk back in there with a black mark on my name. When I first started with them I was getting my pain meds from the surgeon and not from them. It was only when I needed the refill that I went to them and signed the contract etc. I never did get a copy of the contract. It was right after the shots when I was coming out of the anesthesia that they pushed the contract in front of me. So my question is, should I send them a letter thanking them for their service and telling them I will not be coming back and that I will continue with my primary doctor? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Advice on ending Pain Management Relationship

Hey Hessie: As little as I know about contracts, I believe from what I've read here, it seems that you should always end it formally, either with a letter from you or your new doc. (Or probably both) That way, there will be no confusion about what you are, or are not doing.

Even though they did not origionally prescribe your meds, they took over that duty from your surgeon and had you sign the contract. So I would definitely let them know formally.

I'm glad your primary seems to be a caring and compassionate doc. That is always half the battle in the war on pain. Good luck with the changes and keep us posted. cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Hessie,

I do think it's appropriate to advise the PM doc that you no longer require his services. If you are thankful, then thank him. If you are not thankful, then leave that out. Don't burn bridges, just advise him of your new arrangement. Just the facts, try to leave feelings out of it. It's business.

Here's an example:

Dear Dr. So-and-so,

I write this letter to advise you that I am now under the care of Dr. (PCP) for all pain management needs.

Signed ___________

cc: Dr. (PCP)

Simple and sweet. Add more if you wish, but try to keep feelings out of it.

Best of Luck to you. This sounds like a much better arrangement.

steve

Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

If I had access to a fax, I would fax it before submitting the scripts to the pharmacy. If not, I would call today. Then following up in writing so that there is no chance of confusion.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Hessie,

Diet's got a very good idea. I'd follow her advice.

steve

Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hessie,

I would follow Steve advice; he has a great idea.

Can you tell I am on all my meds????

Sorry, I am just punchy right now.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I would use Steve's concept and add to it:

Dear Dr. So-and-so,

The purpose of this letter is to advise you that I am now under the care of Dr. (PCP) for all my pain management needs. I very much appreciate you taking the time to see me and assisting with my pain. Unfortunately, the treatments were not successful, and after consultation with my physician, I have decided to have him treat my pain. I wanted to formally notify you since I had signed a contract with your office.

Again, thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Cordially,

You

cc: Dr. (PCP)

I think you want to go out of your way to be thankful and appreciative because you NEVER KNOW what could happen in the future. This Doc will have to document in his records and your chart that you are no longer a patient, and you want the same thoughtful writing as you are giving him...You never know...This info could end up in the hands of some future PM Doc....Not sure what the age / status is of your GP, but chances are, you won't see him/her forever.

I would also fax it before filling your other scripts. I would even fax it from a Kinkos or something so you can get a receipt...Or, if you fax from your machine, print a transmission report.

You may want to also send it certified mail. I don't think it's a huge issue to document, but you never know....Better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 04-29-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

First off, I'm sorry you did not have luck with the radio frequency. I'm having it tomorrow morning so I really didn't want to read that. (BTW, what was the procedure like? Were you sedated?)

As for the doctor, I just went through this so I can tell you what I did whether it was right or wrong I don't know. My case is a little different than yours in that the office staff and doctor knew I wasn't a happy camper. I chose to call the Office Manager and tell her why I was leaving the practice. Before I did anything though, I made an appointment with my long time family doctor and explained everything to him. He was very supportive of me. Once i had that appointment I then called the office manager at the pain clinic. I didn't do this for my benefit, although I can see where it would have helped me, but I did it more for my family doctor. Technically, I signed a contract with the pain doctor saying I wouldn't get medication from any other doctor or go to a different pharmacist. My family doctor needed to call me in vicodin when I was in between doctors and he was worried about the legalities of it all. However, since he knew I was between doctors, knew I had called the Office Manager and knew I had an appointment with the new doctor it wasn't a problem. My goal is to ALWAYS be open with all my doctors involved with my care whether it be in a letter or phone call.

I haven't read the other responses but if you want your doctor to know specifically why you are leaving then a letter would be great.

Good luck!

Cindy

Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Thanks everyone. I had already dropped off my prescriptions on the way home from the Doctor. I pass the pharmacy on the way home so I automatically stop. Would the pharmacist have said something to me? I will call them later this morning. It's 2:45am now. I will leave them a message since a live person never answers the phone. Then I will follow up with a letter. They were very nice to me. The nurse writing the prescriptions screwed up a few times but bent over backwards to fix the problem and apologized every chance she got. So I will write a letter thanking them. I will tell them that the Dr. that referred me to them feels I will not benefit from anymore shots and he will monitor my medication from now on. I will add that he prescribed new meds for me which I had filled on 4/29/08. Thanks for everyone's help.

Closed Thread