It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
My visit with the PM and what I decided to do regarding my Meds.

Well I just got back from the PM docs office.

It was a good visit. In general I'm having a better day pain wise, so that helps I guess.

I did decide to go in and ask to have my meds reduced again. He is totally on board with it, but also said if it was too much of a reduction, or if I have a big increase in pain, just let him know, and he'll put me back on the 30mgs of Avinza.

Right now I've changed to Kadian 20mg. Was taking Avinza 30mg. So hopefully that's not too bad of a cut.

I'm still on the Percocet 10/325 up to twice a day for BT pain. I've been mostly getting by with one per day, sometime one and a half.

I also take Robaxin 750mg twice per day because I have these NON STOP muscle spasams even still one year post PLIF. They are probably one of the most annoying parts of the whole "pain" process. They wake me up out of a dead sleep.

So that's where I am today. If it doesn't go well and I don't adjust well, or the pain is bad, then I will call him, and just run over and pick up a Rx for the Avinza. I literally live around the corner, so it's not a big deal. He said call, and run by...but hopefully I can make it through.

Wish me luck. We also talked about a stim implant, but I'm just not ready to face another surgery. All three of my major surgeries, I have crashed on the table. So I just don't want to do it. He said to me, "don't say never, just say not right now"...so definitely for right now, I don't think I'm interested in having a stim done. My BP crashes for some weird reason, last time was 52/64, and doc said he came close to losing me, then I also had the problem with the spinal leak....so, let's just say, I'm not real thrilled about any more surgeries.

I may have some myofacial massage to break up the scar tissue that has enveloped my sciatic nerve. It's in the process of crushing it again!! GREAT, just great!!! The initial pain would be extreme in breaking up the scar tissue, but the long term benefits would be dramatic, and I may just go for it. I'm praying on this one right now. I need some courage!

So that's where I am right now!! The meds, massage, biofeedback...hopefully those things will help me manage the pain. Guess we'll see. It's been helping so far!!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: My visit with the PM and what I decided to do regarding my Meds.

Hey SpinalM: I am glad your visit went well. I know you are having a hard time with the thought of having to take the meds long term, but I'm also glad that you are willing to go back to it, if this decrease doesn't work out.

If you are going to start the myofascial release, you might need the meds to get you through the initial pain. Do you already know a therapist who has training in the myo release? Have you had it before? Just remember, the appropriate way for it to begin is very lightly, and then get more in depth as you adjust. It should not be full on deep tissue to start. Scar tissue and fascia that is in spasm, doesn't take kindly to a full on assault. Believe me, I know.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and I'm here for you. Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes. (((((hugs))))) cmpgirl

Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
...I may have some myofacial massage to break up the scar tissue that has enveloped my sciatic nerve. It's in the process of crushing it again!! GREAT, just great!!! The initial pain would be extreme in breaking up the scar tissue, but the long term benefits would be dramatic, and I may just go for it. I'm praying on this one right now...
Try to do one thing at a time if possible. Especially while titrating down on pain meds. I know you really want to succeed at med reduction, and adding in the myofacial massage may well set you back. If possible, get stable on the 20mg of Kadian first, for a good few weeks, then consider the massage.

Just my thoughts.

steve

Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I agree 100% with Steve. One thing at a time. Good luck and I hope this works well for you. It sounds like you have a great doctor working with you on your meds. What a blessing.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Hey SpinalM: I am glad your visit went well. I know you are having a hard time with the thought of having to take the meds long term, but I'm also glad that you are willing to go back to it, if this decrease doesn't work out.

If you are going to start the myofascial release, you might need the meds to get you through the initial pain. Do you already know a therapist who has training in the myo release? Have you had it before? Just remember, the appropriate way for it to begin is very lightly, and then get more in depth as you adjust. It should not be full on deep tissue to start. Scar tissue and fascia that is in spasm, doesn't take kindly to a full on assault. Believe me, I know.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and I'm here for you. Take care of yourself and let us know how it goes. (((((hugs))))) cmpgirl
Thanks cmp:

I do know of someone. She is Liscensed and very well trained. One of my students is actually a Liscensed Massage therapist, and can no longer do that type of work, so is re-training in Interpreter Training. For my birthday recently, my students gave me a gift certificate to HER personal massage therapist, I went to see her for the first time last month and used my gift certificate. She did a "blended" massage the first time.

Right now I'm working with my insurance to see what they will cover. If they won't cover (because she is independant) then she has some great packages. The PM had one of his PA's who also used to do massage come in to see me today, and talked about what I would need. He suggested 20 minutes of gentle myofacial massage/release four times a month for about three months working up in intensity until I get used to it.

He did also talk about the need to probably increase the meds with the breaking up of scar tissue, especially over the area where the rods are in place. So I have some thinking to do, and I need to check with my insurance and see what they will cover. Even if they don't though, it's do-able because she does some really reasonable 30 minute packages. Hey, it could just turn out to be a relaxing summer after all! NOT!!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

hi spinalmalady:
I forget if you are on any type of nerve pain meds. If not then these might really be able to help you and possibly get you to a point where you can actually go off of opiate/opiod medications. I don't have the best memory and forget what everyone takes. I would also suggest doing things slowly and only one thing at a time. I might look into that type of massage to break up my scar tissue.

I have been having more pain the last 2 days but I think it is because of the weather. Hopefully it will improve either today or tomorrow. I would definitely hold off on the stimulator surgery. For one thing you are not on very high doses of pain medication. Two, you have not exhausted all drug and non-drug options. I know the PM doc that I went and saw suggested it and I just looked at him like "no way". There are so many other meds and therapies that I have not tried. I tried a "tens unit" and it did nothing for my pain so I doubt the stimulator would be successful either but you never know. As you know I don't see that PM doc any more. I only see my PCP doctor(who prescribes all meds) and a psychiatrist and now a podiatrist. Keep us posted on your progress.

brian

Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes brian, I take Topamax. 75mg am and 75mg pm. It's prescribed for heritary migraines that I've had since the age of 7. Joy oh joy!! I also take 20mg of Paxil and 50mg of Tenormin (beta blocker) as part of the Migrane preventative regimine. {also my heart rate went up to 160 just prior to having to have an emergency hysterectomy and never came down, so the beta blocker helps with that } So, if you add 2mg of Estrace HRT therapy due to a Total Radical Hysterectomy at age 28, plus my vitamins and mineral supplements, I take about 13 or 14 pills per day!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
, plus my vitamins and mineral supplements, I take about 13 or 14 pills per day!
OMG that is a big handful of pills. I used to take 8 different kind of pills per day and now it's down to 4. It was my intention to get down to as few pills per day as possible. Now if you count total pills that I take it would be around 10 pills(although I split my Percocet so does 1 dose count as half or whole )

Maybe you could try Neurontin or Lyrica and then you might be able to get way down on the opiate meds, just a thought.

brian

Closed Thread