It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

cindyx4 HB User
Rhizotomy/Radio Frequency Nerve Ablation?

I am scheduled to have this done tomorrow morning at 9 am and am scared to death!! The trial was painful but manegeable. I asked the scheduler if I would be medicated during the procedure and she told me no. I am hoping and praying she is wrong! For those of you that have had this done: Were you sedated/medicated? Did it hurt a lot? Did you have residual pain afterwards? I feel like I'm going to puke worrying about this.

Cindy

Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Rhizotomy/Radio Frequency Nerve Ablation?

Well I don't have any experience with this so I don't know how much that will calm you down. I would imagine if the front desk told you they don't use meds for the procedure, then they don't use meds. Now if I was in your place, I would take my pain meds an hour or so before going in, unless they specifically told you not to. Do you take any anti-anxiety meds. If so you might want to take those with you and ask if you could take it right before the procedure. I know that when the PM doc did epidural on me that I was allowed to take a Valium, which they provided.

Just try to focus on the fact that you might be in a lot less pain after the procedure. Now I do know that it tends to set things off for a few days to a week so you might want to ask for a temp increase in pain meds. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Do you have anyone that will be taking you to the appointment? I would imagine you do since they are not going to let you drive home yourself?

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You might try doing an advanced search on the name Sage on the back problem board for more information.

Good luck and I will lift you up in prayer tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I don't know if you will read this before your procedure or not because it is 2:30 am. I just had it done on March 31st. The place I went to put me out first. Then they put the needles in. Then they woke me up. You have to be awake to tell them when you feel something so they know where to zap the nerve. The procedure did not hurt at all. I am assuming they put anesthic in when I was put out. Everyone is different. It did not work for me. But I have two rods and 6 screws inside me and was told it may not help. Good luck with the procdure.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

Ok, it's over!! YEAH! I ended up taking 2 mg of clonipin and 2 vicodin an hour before my appointment. When I got to the office I wasn;t feeling very calm but realised I was. I asked the doctor how much I was going to feel this and he said it "shouldn't " hurt any more than the trial. Well, he did 5 in jections of novacaine and while it did sting It really didn't phase me. Of course the doctor kept me talking the entire time so that helped to distract me. He did the novacaine deeper as well and I think that helped mhen he hooked up the electrodes. I had very little pain! I was all worked up for nothing. He did only one side and I will have the other side done in 2 weeks. Right now I am feeling sore and a little achy but that's it. Now I am praying it works!!

Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes.

Cindy

Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyx4 View Post
Ok, it's over!! YEAH! I ended up taking 2 mg of clonipin and 2 vicodin an hour before my appointment. When I got to the office I wasn;t feeling very calm but realised I was. I asked the doctor how much I was going to feel this and he said it "shouldn't " hurt any more than the trial. Well, he did 5 in jections of novacaine and while it did sting It really didn't phase me. Of course the doctor kept me talking the entire time so that helped to distract me. He did the novacaine deeper as well and I think that helped mhen he hooked up the electrodes. I had very little pain! I was all worked up for nothing. He did only one side and I will have the other side done in 2 weeks. Right now I am feeling sore and a little achy but that's it. Now I am praying it works!!

Thanks so much for the advice and good wishes.

Cindy
Did they tell you in a few days you may be in pain and it may last for a few weeks? That is what they told me. It is suppose to hurt before it gets better. I assume that is for everyone. In my case. It hurt and never got better. It still hurts. But I think all my hardware is the problem. Glad you made out okay and it was better then you expected. Keep feeling good.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

Yes, I was told to take it easy for the next few days. So far, I've cleaned the kitchen, made cookies for the kids, started supper and screamed at my hubby! Not bad for resting huh?! Ugh!

I did end up taking a bolus of fentynal to help with the pain I am feeling in my back. I really hope this pain goes away. I had no pain after the trial so I have high hopes for this to work.

I'm so sorry the pain continued for you. I wish you pain free days ahead!

Blessings,

Cindy

Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
(male)

Kev32 HB User

I had the Radio Frequency Nerve Ablation done on both sides about 1 years 4 months ago. I hurt for about 4 to 6 weeks after the procedures and I did not get any pain relief.

FYI. My insurance refused to pay for thses two procedures (right and left side C4, C5, C6, C7). They told me this procedure was not FDA approved and was considered experimental or in the investigation phase. Between the hospital bills and the doctor bills I am out over $6700.00. So you might want to make sure you were pre-authorized by your insurance company. This was an unpleasent surprise for me after completing the two procedures. The Pain Management office kept telling me that it is typical for insurance to deny the claim until the doctor provided more information. In my case, the insurance denied my claims and my appeal to pay. I had Anthem BC/BS Insurance.

I hope your pain gets better. My diagnostic nerve blocks did not yield good results. It sound like yours did, so maybe it will work for you.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

oh man, if my doctors did NOT get this approved I will be so floored! I will give my insurance a call asap. Thanks for the heads up and I am so sorry it didn't work for you. I have had to take 2 boloses in order to deal with the pain I've had lately. I just hope this isn't an indication of what's to come.

Thanks again!

Cindy

Old 05-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
(male)

Kev32 HB User

Hi Cindy - The pain is always much worse after the Radiofrequency procedure is completed. It was much more painful afterwards when compared to the diagnostic procedures. The bad bad pain will begin to fade in a couple of weeks especially if this will work for you.

Yea. The insurance deal stinks. I was told the night before my second rediofrequency procedure that my insurance needed more information from the doctor before it was approved. The PM doctor's office said this was normal and they expected insurance would pay. I was in so much pain, I trusted them and went forward with the second procedure.

You might want to also call the Pain Management doctor's office and see if your procedure was preauthorized by your insurance company. I would do this of course if your insurance company is clueless. I sent my company's benefits department my case concerning the insurance not paying and the denial of my appreal. It may not do any good. They can only say yes or no that they will help. I'm supposed to hear a final decision in 30 days.

The days are over thinking the doctor's office is looking out for your best interest when it comes to insurance paying for these procedures. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Let me know if your insurance paid.

Closed Thread