It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
(female)

galebear HB User
Pt Is Making My Pain Worse

Not sure where to post this.I am having Physical Therapy right now 3 times a week on my shoulder for tendonitis although I think there is more going on in my shoulder.I am also having therapy on my knee' The MRI showed degeneration,floating fragments and possible menicus tears.My ortho is putting me through a second round of the therapy before deciding to take a look inside the knee.I am still dealing with other injuries from a fall I had back in Aug 07'.DDD in lower back,Cervical protrusion and bulges,my foot and ankle sprain is still causing me problems also.Everytime I have therapy the pain gets worse.I have a hard time sleeping because of the pain.I'm stiff the morning after and it seems to take me forever to actually get out of bed.The pain starts in the other areas I hurt when I fell.Does it ever get any better? Should I stop the therapy? Due to other appointments I haven't had PT this week.Even without the PT the pain has been almost unbearable.Sometimes if a particular exercise causes pain I will tell the therapist and we will go on to trying something else.I am taking Ambien to help me sleep but iy isn't doing the job its suppose to be doing.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Re: Pt Is Making My Pain Worse

Hi there, my own experience before I had the fusion eveytime I went to PT it just made me worse. The pain then had eased from the PT and it was time to go back again........

You said you had an MRI on your Knee, was one also done on your back ?
You said that in your knee about fragements floating,,,,,,, why isnt he going in and taking them out...... and a tear? Does he just want to give it time or what, I dont think all the physio in the world will help your knee if you have bits floating and need to get taken out. Stand corrected on that......... if anyone else knows......... or do they just settle somewhere?

I would have a chat with my GP and put it to him....... is physio going to help? As the physio and of course they can help !! more money !!!!

Round1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

My pt just stopped therapy, she said it should not make it more painful.
She did try a couple different things very light pt, but no improvement. Even when I went in there in pretty bad pain she would just focus on getting the pain down. I would say if the pt knows this is causing you more pain they should discontinue & notify your doctor. Even when I had pt before surgery the rehab. doc told me up front give it a try if it makes it worse or is to painful stop. Thats what I would do. Like Fred (arthrits) said if pt is causing yoy pain don't walk out of there, run. Good luck

Old 04-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I agree with Sammy: my therapist stopped me PT after pain was increasing before my surgeries. Even though I believe and based on my own experience after my knee surgeries PT can be paiful, they call it a good pain.
But I am not a dr to say this, please confirmt with your PTerapist and see what he/she thinks about your sitation. i think if it hurts that much something can be done.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
(female)

galebear HB User

Here are the results of the MRI of my knee
There is globular type increased signal within the posteior horn of the medial meniscus suggesting intrasubstance degeneration.There is also irregular linear low signal fragments present within the lateral knee joint between the tibial spine and lateral femoral condyle which may be related to a small meniscus fragment presumably from the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus,And the cruiate and collateral ligaments appear unremarkable as does the quadriceps and patellar tendons.There is a normal volume of articular cartilage.The marrow signal is unremarkable.No sizable synovial joint effusion is present.There is some fluid signal within the subcutanecus soft tissue surrounding the knee.A small Baker's cyst is also present.

IMPRESSION
1.Small ,Linear,low signal fragments within the Lateral portion of the intercondylarjoint possibly related to a multi small meniscus fragment.presumably arising from the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus.
2.Intrasubstance signal abnormally involving the posterior horn of the medial meniscus suggesting Type II degenerative meniscal tear.
4.Tiny Baker's Cyst

When I twisted my ankle/foot on the unlevel concrete as I was walking to the entrance It threw me off balance.I had a very bad foo/ankle sprain,tendonitis to my left shoulder although I feel there is more going on in there but I didn't have an MRI done on my shoulder'only an xray.I also sprained my lower back which reaggravated the degenerative L4-5 and L-5S1
My cervical spine was also injuried at C4-5 C5-6 with C5-6 being worse.I have protrusion and bulging in those disc.I have had PT in all these areas but this is the second go round with the shoulder and knee.PT is causingf more pain in all areas that were injuried when I fell.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

galebear,

Wow.

That's alot of text to tell you your knee is screwed up. Probably osteoarthritis. And it sounds like it's advanced. Don't let them operate unless they can promise less pain down the road and better function.

I've been through these "clean up" surgeries countless times. They rarely do them now because there's too little bang for the buck. In earlier days they'd go in and remove the floating bits in a procedure called "debridement." All I experienced was excrutiating pain post-op and no real improvement in pain or function down the road.

The degenerative tear is par for the course with osteoarthritis. In young folks this can be repaired, but as one ages this becomes impossible.

I do not believe that you s/b experiencing as much pain as you are after PT. This seems excessive. It is common to have patients undergo PT before knee surgeries to strengthen the joint and surrounding muscles as much as possible before the operation. But, again, it should not be as bad as you are describing. They either need to lighten up the exercise routine or stop.

Being in PM has really helped me with my knee pain. And, recently, I re-started working out. My doc agreed to let me take a dose of breakthrough medication before each workout. And it's really helped. Less pain during the workout and less pain afterwards. I wonder if your doc is willing to medicate you for PT? You might ask the physical therapist if he/she thinks it would help.

steve

Last edited by forginon; 04-30-2008 at 08:56 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
(male)

jim5309 HB User
Question on Patellar Tendonitis and surgery

has anyone had surgery to repair PT? my knees seem to get worse and worse as time goes on. I don't know if it is from running, or some type of arthritis from playing goalie in hockey and/or lifting weights (squats etc.) for 25 years or so. If anyone has had surgery and now has no pain, please post and let me/us know.

I am also curious as to what alternative exercises are available that will give you the same workout as treadmill running. I have tried the elliptical machines but they don't even come close to the same workout.

thanks for your help!

Closed Thread