It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Surgeons appointment

Thought I would let you all know how my appointment went.
As you know I was worried sick about him releasing me & pain control.
I am really glad my husband came. As usual I was so upset I could not remember what he said. I was just throbbing by the time we got into the waiting room, my husbund reached over & put his hand on my rib & was pretty surprised at how much he could feel it.
He sure let the surgeon know. The pt faxed a report while we were there & his assistant came in to let us know they received it & she said he would defianantly be interested in what was in the report.
He did indeed say it was time to order an MRI with & without contrast, & he will treat my pain for three more months while I attempt treatment with an osteo center he referred me to. After the three months if he feels the pain is still in need of treatment he will refer me to PM. I let him know I was still taking the pain med along with motrin & a muscle relaxer. Lets just hope he remembers this when I call for a refill.
I wanted to let you all know while my husbund & I were sitting there (my husband like the door open, he is a nosey bugger) the doctor & his assistant were discussing a patient of his who wanted something more then percocet, the surgeon said he looked back at his chart & discovered he was on pain meds in the past for a long time for his back. He said he would perscribe him ultram & that was it he was releasing him. I heard his assistant ask him if he was refeering him to PM & the surgeon more of less blew it off.
I did not ask for anything stronger, although I told him I am not getting much pain control at all, he said take it as instructed following surgery, 1-2 every four to six hrs. I did tell him I did not want to go backwards as far as taking the meds, that I tried my best to not do that but am in a huge amount of pain. My hsuband did express our concern about having to stay on them, I could have reached out & pinched him. I did not want to rock that boat at all.
I know the pts report is what got the MRI, just like it prompted my pcp to run the cardiac tests. I did call & thank her & ask her what was in that report.
She informed me that she was pretty worried about me, that all the swelling & throbbing is not normal & they need to further investigate to rule out someting internally going on in there. I know with out her input I would have probably been fighting for an MRI & who knows if the surgon would have continued my pain managment without cutting me back.
I am going for the MRI on monday & am alittle worried. I know the left lung will be looked at, so I'll ask for your prayers please.
Anyone experiance this type of throbbing or know whay could be causing that? It is what seems to be raising concerns.
Thanks for all your support, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Surgeons appointment

Judging by what you're going through and what you overheard, it sounds as if your surgeon isn't PM friendly. And, that's very sad. Unfortunately, cases like yours are out there and you need to get referred to a PM Doc. Maybe not rocking the boat as you say is best, but IMO, you can't get referred fast enough. Once your three months are up, I'd jump off that ship....And fast.

Good luck, and I hope your MRI is ok.

Ex

Old 04-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I think you are on the right track bringing in a support person, and discussing it in terms of your pain and how it is affecting you, rather than how many pills you want, lol. I have to say I think you may be jumping to conclusions about the other patient, you only heard a snippet, this may be the 10th time he has asked, he may have lost or had stolen meds in the past, the doctor may have already increased both the dose and the strenght of his meds. There is just no way to know, so I wouldnt let it worry you. My grandma always said, dont listen at keyholes, lest you be vexed, meaning I guess you cant always quantify what you hear and it could be harmful to take it the wrong way.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, If it makes you feel better, remember that a lot of us, me included, were eventually dismissed as 'cured' by our surgeons and then found the help we needed through our primarys. Surgeons are notorious for this very thing.

HTH, Fabby

Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I did indeed remind myself that I did not know the whole story behind the gentlemen they were discussing, then agian I blamed my husband for not letting me close the door all the way.
I am trying to think positive & remind myself the surgeon said he would treat my pain for 3 more months, do I trust him? well I don't trust to many doctors.
It did indeed sound like he would if he felt it was needed recommend me to PM at the end of 3mnths. I have asked my husband several times to confirm what he said, sounds alittle crazy but my pain & stress level were sky high by the time I seen the surgeon, of course with my job on the line was not helping at all. Jobs are not easy to come by here & reality is we need money to survive, of course I need to get control of the pain before that happens. So my one week rest turned into another 2mnths for the time being.

At least the MRI will be done, at this point I really need to know that this pain is not from something lead to more problems. The first MRI request for the chest was denied, so I hope this one goes through, which I think it will.
We will see. I sure understand what it is like to worry about having PM, & I feel for anyone & everyone who has to deal with this & worry. I don't have a short memory, even by the grace of god I get rid of all this pain I will never, ever, forget those who have this in their lives. I will also remember , judge not , lest be judged. Sammy

Closed Thread