It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Watson fentanyl patch? Does it work like Sandoz or Mylan?

Hello all!

This is Jon (Conductor), and I am beginning to feel somewhat better. More than anything, I have felt the prayers you all promised. Please know that my Mom needs some of these answers, too--due to her pain!

Now...Does the Watson patch function like the Janssen/Sandoz? Or, does it function like the Mylan version? This is a serious question, and I know the answer is here with the folks that know.

I greatly appreciate your answers.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 04-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Watson fentanyl patch? Does it work like Sandoz or Mylan?

Jon,
I am glad to see you posting and hopefully the patch will help with your pain significantly. I did some research and it looks like the Watson brand of the fentanyl patch is made "nearly identical" to the Sansoz/Duragesic brand. It looks like a clear patch with the gel filled inside. I know that some of the chain drug stores are starting to use the Watson brand, (hmm maybe after so many patients have either complained about Mylan or went elsewhere). Just a thought. How are you doing though? Are you feeling better? Please only type what you can.

brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Yes, the Watson patch uses the same technology and delivery mechanism as Duragesic and Sandoz. Duragesic is the "brand" and inventor of the technology. Their patent recently expired and now Janssen (Duragesic) makes the generic patch for Sandoz.

Conversely, Mylan uses a different technology / delivery mechanism where all glue, med, byproducts & etc are all lumped together in one big mass. Mylan is significantly cheaper than all the others, thus, it is the DOC at most pharmacies.

Watson is the "newcomer" in the market. They were approved by the FDA in the Fall of 2007, thus, it hasn't been on the market very long.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Hi Jon,

My wife is on 125mcg's of the fentanyl patch and her pm doc writes brand name only on he patches because these are the only one's that work, however since she has to wear two of them 1 100mcg and 1 25 mcg recently she ran into a problem. There was a recall on all Jaansen duragesic patches due to some type of dosing screw up and she was forced to use the generic in the 25's. Watson seemed to be the only other patch with the 25mcg that had the gel like the name brand and they seemed to be just as effective for her. Everyones body chemistry is different but I think that your best bet other than the name brand is Watson. I for instance also see a the same pm doc for my back and he tried me on the patch and it just was not effective at all for me so he had to go another route. Hope this offers you some insight as well as one persons experience. JoJo

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hey Jo Jo.....Noticed you are a fellow Virginian....Glad to meet you.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 04-30-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
(male)

JoJo921 HB User

Glad to meet you too Exec. Im in The Roanoke area, You?
JoJo

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear Brian, Ex, and JoJo,

Thank you for your extremely useful information. My mother is changing from MSContin to the fentanyl patch. Her mail-order company carries only the Watson and the Janssen (unless the shortage that JoJo921 brought up has hit them, too). I must state that I would have rather had an exceptionally strong dental procedure WITHOUT anesthetic than inquire with these people concerning the manufacturer of the product. The answer was, "It's called the fentanyl patch." I again asked WHO MADE IT. What did I hear, you ask? "It is made with fentanyl." By this point, my patience--which has been somewhat limited lately--reached its final point. I finally spoke to a pharmacist and was told that Watson made it in generic. That is what prompted my question!

So, thank you all for the answer(s) I needed! If it didn't function like the Janssen/Sandoz, I guess I would have given my Mom a bullet to bite on.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

P.S. On a personal note, I am feeling a tad better. It's not up to par, but it is on it's way!! Thank you all for your support and kindness!

Last edited by conductor; 05-07-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Correction!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

No problem.....The feedback thus far on the Watson has been good. My pharmacist says his cost his rather high on them compared to the others, thus, he doesn't like to carry them. As a general rule, we as consumers get what we pay for.....That's why the Mylan are so cheap!!

I think she'll find the Watson's to be an excellent product. I love the patch...Works LT better than any pill I've ever taken. If only it wasn't a patch......

Ex

Closed Thread