It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Is Darvocet a Narcotic medication?

Is Darvocet N-100 a narcotic medication? I used to be on it and was switched to Percocet. I am now tapering off the Percocet. And was told I can take the Darvocet. I still have my old script. Is it a non-narcotic pain reliever or is it just a less potent one? Thanks!

Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Is Darvocet a Narcotic medication?

hi bella. yes tho darvocet is only a class five narcotic it IS still a level of narcotic,just much much less potent than the percs. one interesting thing about darvocet that i had noticed and also had heard from an ER doc once. despite it being just a lowly class five,it seems to work alot better for more of the inflammatory types of pain,not too sure why,it just has that type of mode of action i guess. go figure. i do hope it works for ya. marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

Interesting to know this--has no idea. Is it stronger than vicodine and do these drugs upset the stomach?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
(female)

linda looney HB User

tattoos:

Darvon is a low class narcotic that is considered addicting, while many consider it no more effective than aspirin. If you can't get by with OTC meds like Ibuprofen, than perhaps you'd do better to step up a Class 4 Drug.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-02-2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thanks all. When I used it before it didn't do anything but I thought I'd give it a shot since doctors hate to have you on Percocets and stuff too long. I had been in agonizing pain and till am having problems. Guess I will see how it goes. thanks again guys!

Bella

Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just to answer that question on the other page,darvocet is much lower than vicodin. vicodin is actually a class three narcotic and is much more potent(and more addicting) than darvocet. i am in no way saying that a person cannot actually become addicted to the darvocet too,but the risk is lower.

bella,if the darvocet doesn't work for you,there ARE other options that your doc could rx other than going back onto the class two percs you were on(and all the hassle that comes along with being on it). just an FYI. its just a huge drop in overall strength and coverage to go down to darv from oxycodone. you skipped thru alot of possibble options there,thats all. what type of pain are you actually trying to treat? knowing that would help give you the best advice. FB

Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey feelbad-
I have Streptococcal Arthritis. Fibromyalgia and many other medical issues. Back in January (for 3 months) it got sooooo bad I was crying every minute. I was swelling so bad, could barely walk, wash, dress, do anything basically without severe pain. I still swell, hurt and run fevers everyday,break out in rashes and sores...but the pain is not as debillitating. I am going to an Infectious Disease doctor May 2oth because certain things like the rash/sores etc...can not be explained. One thing after another! If I can't stay off the percs. I will go to pain management (because my present doc won't continue prescribing)but my last pain doc was a "PAIN"...well that's an understatement! I am also on Soma (for cramping) of and on and Valium for spasms at night. I also started taking cymbalta for depression and it's supposed to help for pain. I have been on tramadol in the past and EVERY NSAID you could imagine...they made me so sick. I have tried all alternative forms of meds and therapies too. I am sure I am missing a bunch of info but I could probably write a book. You have any thoughts or questions feelbad?

Added ?'s:
I was just reading up on the darvocet again and it said something about mixing it with benzo's. Is that a problem as it is known I am on it and had no problem with the percs and it. Maybe just because of drowsiness. It also said once you have been on a med like percocet that the darvocet will do virtually nothing for the pain...uuuggggh. I don't quite understand what the med is exactly still it seems very different from say like vicodon, percocet, codeine etc....just perplexed. I am just crossing my fingers...don't want to live in pain hell again like before. Maybe since its a different combo, even though weaker, it might work well because I haven't been on it ever for a long time? Just a shot in the dark and WISHFUL thinking!

Last edited by tattoogirl; 05-03-2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: added questions....

Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
(female)

linda looney HB User

I didn't quote any text verbatim in this reply, and will try to avoid doing so in the future. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi bella,sorry it took me a bit to get back here. what i am wondering among other things is ,has your pain gotten any better than it was while on the percs? if not and its the same,you will probably not get good relief. if you are going to actually see a good PM,that will help alot. its just getting to the right type of PM that can offer you the best modalities that will make that difference. if they know what you WERE on,no one realistically could ask you to try a drug like darvocet,unless like i said,your pain got better. and alot of PMs really do try and avoid meds that contain tylenol just because of the possible cumulative damage to liver and kidneys. i know my PM wont rx any meds to anyone that contain any tylenol just for that reason. most of their patients are on longer acting type meds and will be in PM for many many years if not a lifetime.

i am really curious about just what the heck streptococal arthritis actually is, i have to tell ya it just doesn't 'sound' good at all to me. the symptoms you described with this condition sound almost like RSD or the newer name CRPS. i have this in my right knee and its an ugly little burning churning hell along with swelling and blotches and rashes too. do they know for certain that this IS what you have? does it stem somehow from actually having strep or what? i have just never heard of it. i really do think your best PM lies at a good pain clinic,really. they can do alot more for you than just Rx meds too.

as far as the benzo/darvocet thing,i would really just call your pharmacist about it and ask them. they would know for certain. i have taken both meds seperately but never when i was on them together. i have to say,i have never heard of any interactions with these two either. but asking your pharm these types of questions is usually the best way to go to really get the best info for YOU and your conditions.

i do hope you can get into a good PM soon and onto a longer acting type of med. that really does make alot of difference. i know it did for me. i am now on oxycontin at a little higher dose than what i was actually on when i went to the first visit with them back in 04. i needed someone who understood really insane and crazy pain after my spinal cord became injured during a surgery back in 03. they really have helped me tons in dealing with alot of different pain processes. some pain prodcesses respond to narcotics and some don't,thats my bigger problem. since you were on the percs,did they help at all? if so, trying the OC may help you much more since it is just a longer acting form of the same exact med.

i do wish you luck bella. perhaps you can scroll down to the pain boards. there really are some very caring and knowledgable people down there. very good support. just a thought for you. please keep me posted hon. FB

Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey FB-

The Percocets actually allowed me to function without being in excruciating pain. It gave me some quality of life. It helped with my energy too. I could actually get sleep instead of writhing in pain all night. It was a living HELL. The asprin content is high though. Maybe I will look into the longer acting medication like you said. I will ask the ID doc when I see him and maybe try another pain clinic.

Streptococcal Arthritis is a "Septic Arthritis." In my case case, I was infected my the Strept strain (don't know why or how...that is the million $ question. It is similar to a rheumatic fever or a scarlet fever type of arthritis. It goes through your blood, can affect organs (esp. heart and kidneys) and causes joint damage. For some (like me) everytime...or some of the time....you get exposed, even if you don't get classically "ill" (cold/sore throat etc...), your body responds to the bacteria and causes a flare-up (lasting a few days). The there is the post-streptococcal infection (the most painful part) which can last for up to a year. Sometimes less sometimes more. Crazy huh! Just taking one day at a time. When I first found out I was like WHAT THE HECK IS THAT! And actually there wasn't much specifically related to it on the web. It is usually combined with scarlet and rheumatic fever since they are septic forms of arthritis. I sure hope I start getting better. I can't imagine it being this way OR WORSE forever. I just try and focus on the positives in my life but some days that doesn't always work! Thanks again, FB.

Bella

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow,i can't imagine hearing that bit of news. when you cannot even find what you have on the net,you DO need some better more specialized pain care,at the very least. i would most definitely try another PM if the one you saw didn't "do' for you. honestly bella, i really do think you need the experience and knowledge of a good PM. you really should be on at least the longer acting form of oxycodone. it just gives you a more even coverage than taking percs every four to six and SOO much better than darvocet?? thats just crazy to place you on something that weak for what you have going on. there could be other forms of modalities they could possibly offer you too. i would demand better care and a referral to a good PM right about now hon. this just NEEDS to be managed by people who understand pain and what your triggers are ya know? have you seen an infectious disesae doc for their opinion on at least pain management at all?

just wondering if you have ever been seen at any type of university type teaching hospital? this was the only place that gave me straight answeras about my insane little glob of blood vessels that was inside my spinal cord. they just really see all the most extreme strange type of cases there. its the place where alot of people go just to see if they happen to know what is going on in peoples bodies when you have some rare or really freaky things going on. if you have not gone that route at all,i would really highly recommend it to you. just a suggestion.

hope things get better for you at least with the pain management hon. every little bit helps. please keep me posted bella. Marcia

Closed Thread