It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Oh My!!

I won't double post but if you want to read the majority of the scoop I got some mixed news on my spine and it is posted on the back board under "Prayer for Strength". It gets kind of confusing of where to post cause that is really a back problem. The short version of why I have had high levels of pain is because my doctor feels I might have some pretty major problems and when I slid the food into the oven, my vertebrae moved and compressed my sciatica nerve.

Anyway on to the pain: maybe this will all make sense to you cpers but I am confused by it a tad.

The surgeon felt my pain receptors have been damaged from multiple surgeries. It does not mean that I don't have pain because I do. It means that my pain receptors (nerves) has become over sensitized. If I stubb my toe, it would proabably hurt me a little more than the average person because my nerves have been manipulated so much that the sense pain over-reacts so to speak and then I need more medication to relieve the pain.

CONFUSED???? HELP?????

Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User
Re: Oh My!!

Pepper:

I was afraid that was what had happend. What you described was exactly was the pain I experienced when my sciatic neve got crushed.

I don't have anything to offer about the pain sensor saturation thing, when mine happened it was a reinjury after a successful micro-d, and it put me on the ground an in a wheel chair unable to walk. I was falling down due to a severe foot drop. Almost had to drag the leg behind me. I looked like the Hunch back of Notre-Dame. No Joke. Folks thought I had had a stroke.

What is the plan for pain for you now?? Have the docs said anything.

I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

If you read over on the back board, I am to have a CT mylegram done. They believe I am not fused at all and that the vertebrae moved because of my *#@!!* surgeon removing the right side of the hardware and the theory is that the movement of the vertebrae crimped the sciatica nerve. So now it is bruised and needs to heal all over again. And if the CT confirms what the surgeon thinks, I will be back in the OR again for more back surgery - ROUND #5!!

My emotions are all over the place. I think I am going to burst.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

(((((((((Pepper))))))))))))

Breathe deep, in through the nose, out through the mouth. it helps. You have every reason to be upset, this is terrible and you must just be in agony, I am so sorry this happened!

You have to try hard not to think beyond one day right now, you cannot control whats going to happen, and thinking about it all the time is only going to upset and confuse you. If I were you I would just try really hard to concentrate on getting through one day at a time, and let tomorrow worry about tomorrow.

The pain you are describing just makes me cringe, you poor woman, I am humbled by all you have been through and all that is waiting ahead for you. We're here, the back board folks are here, and most importantly, God is with you always.

I wont tell you to be strong, because you already are, just hang on, it will get better, keep posting when you can. I am just so upset that so many of our wonderful members are having such a terrible time right now, I pray for all of you and I hope we can look forward to some better news in the future.

Hang in there Pepper, we need you!
Hugs, Fabby

Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Fabby. I am in a state of confusion. One minute I am like YEAH, I don't have FAILED BACK and then the next moment I am like we don't know that don't get your hopes up. Then I'm like if they are right, I have to have surgery #5. UNBELIEVABLE!! Then I start thinking what if something else goes wrong and what if my nerves are damaged further.

Executive and Steve where are you when I need you....please explain this nerve/pain business to me....pretty please.

Fabby, I can't breathe, breathe in thru the nose, let out thru the mouth, breathe in thru the nose, let out thru the mouth......

Last edited by ms_west; 05-02-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

You want to know about nerve pain/damage. I know alot about this subject. Nerve pain, obviously can be one of the worst possible pains to experience AND one of the worst pains to get under control(with meds). If your not on a nerve pain med, then you really need to be on one in addition to the narcotic medications. I'm sure you have seem my famous list but let me know if you need the list of nerve pain meds again.

If i rememeber correctly you are taking Cymbalta. If so then it can be prescribed up to 240mg/day. Most people with nerve pain are taking 120mg/day. I'm not sure what other meds you have tried, if any for nerve pain so let me know.

I think what you surgeon is talking about is the "hyperanalgesia" which is a theory that states when you are on narcotic meds for a long time, it makes your pain receptors more sensitive to pain, therefore increasing your need for narcotic meds, increasing your pain sensitivity, etc, I don't know if I necessarily buy it. For one you definiltey have something going on nerve wise and the sciatic nerve pain can be one of the worst. Let me know how else I can help

brian

Old 05-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepper: First, please know I am so sorry this has happened. I am praying for you continuously, REALLY LOUD!

About the pain receptors....I know what Brian is saying and yes, that is applicable to your nerve pain. I think what the doc was referring to is that, as my PM explains it, you are now "hard wired", which is in turn another way of saying you are chronic. Many who have pain, for an extended period of time, and that pain is either un-treated, or under-treated, the pain receptors in our central nervous system become "turned on" permenantly. We have these pain gateways in our bodies and once they are open, medical science has not found a way to close them back up.

I am also hard wired as are more than likely most of us CPers here who have had pain, long term. Mine is just for a different reason. I'm sure the majority of us here on the board are hard wired. I know......sounds pretty depressing. I still remember the day my doc told me that I was. I just sat there for a minute and finally asked him if that meant that I'd be on pain meds for the rest of my life. His response was, unfortunately, yes....unless medical science figures out some way to shut those pain gateways off. A lot to think about........

I hope this was helpful. I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear. It doesn't mean that there is nothing more to be done, to help reduce the pain. I am glad they have found the reason for this unGodly pain you've had lately, and I'm infuriated on your behalf at that idiot surgeon, who did this to you. Try and relax as best you can right now. I know that is easier said than done. Do you have any Valium or Xanax or anything like that? It might help take the edge off and help you relax.

I'm pulling and praying for you my friend. I wish I could take some of this pain away from you. Please let us know how things progress. God Bless, cmpgirl ((((Pepper))))

Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

To be honest, it is all a little overwhelming and I have some anger right now for my surgeon. In my gut I feel that he knew when he closed me up things were messed up. Why would he say I had failed back syndrome at 4 weeks post op?? It does not make sense. Oh well, I need to let it go.

I am going to take a flexeril tonight and hope that it will knock me out completely.

Brian, I am on cymbalta 60 mg. I have had allergic reactions to neurotin (almost put me under the ground), elavil, and palemor. Lyrica did nothing for me and based upon my reactions no one is willing to try topomax.

I am concerned if I will ever be fixed, am I hardwired / destined to be a cper even if my back is fixed??????

Last edited by ms_west; 05-02-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

pepper:
I don't know if anyone has really explained "chronic pain" to you meaning the actual disease but it happens when an INJURY or SURGERY has completely healed and there is NOTHING physically wrong. This means that nothing wrong will show up on any blood test, MRI, CT scan, PET scan, x-ray or any other medical test. If there is nothing physically wrong that can be seen on some type of medical test, and the patient still has pain, it means that you have CHRONIC PAIN DISEASE. Your CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM has been hard wired or programmed that there is still pain there. The pain signals are still orginating from the area of injury or surgery and traveling up to the brain. The nervous system and brain doesn't know any better and still acknowledges the pain signal. The only way to deal with the pain signal is to try to deaden it through the use of medication, biofeedback, relaxation techniques, etc.

I am sorry if you have been told all of this before. I am not trying to undermine your IQ or knowledge. I just wanted you and everyone else to know the definition and exactly what happens to create some types of chronic pain. I know when I first heard this I walked out of the office crying and wanted to end it all(for real). I even attempted suicide soon after this. However, I was not successful and I have reached a point where I realize that I am alot better off having found the right doctor, the right treatment, and the right set of meds. I hope you do to.

brian

Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

So techically you are saying it does not look like I have chronic pain disease because I can potentially be fixed.

I am just hardwired wrong because of nerve damage and therefore a chronic pain patient.

I don't mean to be dumb but this is interesting.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepper, let me see if I can explain it the way my doc explained it. We all have these pain receptors in our brain. When we injure ourselves, pain signals are sent to those receptors and we feel pain. When we have constant ongoing pain and those receptors are open and active and the pain isn't treated properly, they stay "on" all the time. Even if that injury has healed.

If you have an injury that is fixed right away and the pain is minimal and only lasts for a little while, those receptors will turn off, till the next time we are injured.

So, I guess, if you have had pain that has not been aleviated or eliminated for a long time, those receptors are turned on for good. And to date, medical science hasn't found a way to close them back up again. So that is when you become chronic or hard wired.

Did that make sense? I understand it in my head, but explaining it to someone else is another story. If I can think of another way to explain it, I'll let you know. My brain just doesn't function like it used to. I think I'm going to be like Denny Crane on Boston Legal who explains his dimentia as Mad Cow!

I hope that helps. God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Through everyones posts it makes perfect sense and I can not thank each and everyone of you for your support. I so desperately need it right now.

My pain is sitting around a 9 this morning. I suspect part of that is the anxiety and stress of the confirmation of the fact that I need more surgery and what the future holds. I need to take Fabby's advice breathe thru the nose exhaule thru the roof of the mouth and repeat to myself what happens, happens and I can't worry about tomorrow today. Fabby this has helped me more than you know. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Pepper:

You may also (for the time being) given what you are facing right now, want to look into purchasing some deep relaxation tapes. They helped me a lot. I got mine at one of the local large bookstore chains.

They were worth every penny. I think I paid 19.99 for them. I imagine myself on a nice warm tropical island (just b/c that is one of my favorite places) then go through the techniqiues used in deep muscle relaxation.

If you don't know how to do it: start at the top of you head, with the face muscles, and tighten them as tight as you can, hold it for as long as you can, then relax and let it flow out...work down your body all the way to your toes, tightening each group of the muscles and releasing them. It takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes to go through the whole body, but afterwards, I feel great. You will feel like a wet noodle afterwards, but it really does help with pain control in conjunction with your meds. At least for me it does.

Good luck, and I'm praying you feel much better soon.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Actually, I do have these tools and I need to pull them back out. Thank you for the reminder.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepper, How are you feeling this afternoon? Are the increased meds helping at all? I hope so. I don't blame you for being angry at the old surgeon. I think he made a big boo-boo and you have paid the price. But, as Fabby said, it's better to focus on the now and just breathe.

Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you and I'm sending soothing and healing thoughts your way. God Bless, cmpgirl

Closed Thread