It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
(female)

Rosa62 HB User
Research Meds B4 PM Appointment - Help!!

Hi Everybody!

I started coming to the Healthboards again last month when I was prescribed Tramadol for my cp. The med made me so sick and I kept trying to take it because it provided relief. Anyway, I could not adjust to them and had to stop it and then I began going through what I'm convinced was withdrawal. I was sick and weak for a month.

I have a question. I'm going to see my pm on the 12th. There are so many meds and families to which they belong that I don't know how to start researching them. I don't know what all is available. Can somebody please steer me in the direction I need to go to start researching all the meds you all talk about? I feel so special ed when I read the threads here. Please help!!

Thank you,
Rosa

Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Research Meds B4 PM Appointment - Help!!

I just saw your post on the acceptance thread. I responded over there too. I'm just wondering if your pain is muscular, nerve pain, joint pain, all of the above? It's hard to say what works best for someone, because we all have different chemistry. I couldn't take Ultram either. I broke out in an all over rash and felt like I was going to pass out. And the funny thing is, it helped me at the time too. I only took it for a week, because the doc said that the rash was a bad side effect.

I can only really comment on Oxycontin, Vicodin, Soma and a few other muscle relaxers and anti convulsants. I have had good luck with the Oxycontin as a long acting med and Vicodin has helped with the BT. Soma is the only MR that ever does anything for me. I've taken about every other one they make and haven't had any luck. The one really important thing about the Oxy, is that it does not last for 12 hours, as the manufacturer says. It is more an 8 hour med. And thank God my doc agrees.

It is such a trial and error thing. I guess the best thing to do is work with your PM to see what works best for you. Have you taken any other meds, besides the Ultram? If so, how did they work for you?

Take care and I'm sure others will have lots to share. God Bless, cmpgirl

Last edited by cmpgirl; 05-02-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I wouldn't worry to much about what you can take. Let your PM DR Guide you and offer you a different medication. PM Dr's are great for this and that is there job. I wouldn't ask for a specific med or they might think you are seeking pain killers for a high. PM Docs are really paranoid about this when a patient ask's for a specific drug by name.

there are SO many other pain meds you can try so I am sure your DR will know what might work for you. One thing about being in PM is that its all trial and error. some meds may work for you and some may not, so it can take months and months to get on the right med and on the right dose to keep you compfortable. So patience will be needed right now while your adjusting to what ever the Dr might give you next.

good luck and post back and let us know how your apt went, all the best.

SS

Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

Rosa62 HB User

Good Morning Everybody!!

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to tell you right now that I learn much more from everyone here on these boards than I do at the doctors. That's why I'm asking this question and it probably seems a bit strange, but I'm not wrapped that tight anyway. I'm sorry I neglected to tell you what meds I currently take. Right now I take Neurontin 600mg(2x), Celebrex 200mg(2X), Flexeril 10mg(3X), Acephex 20mg(1X), sometimes Motrin because I feel like crap and a few meds for heart and blood pressure. I told my pm that I was afraid he would run out of meds to help me and he assured me he wouldn't. I've relaxed since you both said that it will be a trial and error period. My other problem is that I'm very sensitive. I took Voltaren for several years and I was sick most of that time. It made me so sick the gastroenterologists took me off it. Celebrex is not nearly as strong and it's beginning to make me sick and I've only been taking it for a few months. The Flexeril isn't doing what it had been doing, guess my body is saying time for a change. I took a Vicodin once. It made me so sick I tried to cry, throw up and faint at the same time. I carry an EpiPen. I'm allergic to all grasses, apples, grapes - get the picture. I know I am having nerve pain and the arthritis pain. The spinal stenosis is back, I know this because I have the same pain I did before surgery. I've had several epidurals but it's not working as well anymore and I don't expect it to.

I didn't mean to give anyone the impression that I was drug hunting and thank you for bringing that to my attention. What I meant was you have to be so educated about whats out there. For example, nerve pain requires this type of med that belongs to this family of drugs that bind to these receptors and you all seem to know this and I want to learn too. I just want to know that when the pm prescribes a certain drug, I can make some sort of sense of it. What meds should I start researching, just for knowledge, not to tell the doc how to do his job.

Also, thank you again for the trial and error advice. I would have said pm doesn't work for me because the doc gave me three prescriptions and they didn't work. oh wo is me! Also, I'll feel that I'm bugging him if I would call him back to complain. After I had surgery, I kept telling my neurosurgery that something was still wrong and he scolded me. Told me to lose weight and stop acting silly. What can I say? Okay, I can mentally prepare myself for what is about to come.

Thanx again and have a good day, Rosa

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
(male)

niap HB User

I agree...If you know too much about medication and know them all by name it might throw up a red flag! This is such a touchy situatuion....I guess it really depends on the doctor...Mine for example, I can talk to him about anything. Remember you can always get a bad apple!Good luck,

niap

Old 05-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
(female)

Rosa62 HB User

Okay, I said the wrong thing but I'm happy now since I now have a better understanding.

I'll be patient. Thank you, Rosa

Closed Thread