It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Pain Meds: Appetite, Motivation, Ect...

Hi everyone...
When I started pain management going on three yrs ago, and started on narcotics, I gardly had ANY appetite. In fact, I lost weight, a LOT.

Now that things have evened out, I have at times felt like Ive gotten lazy, my eating habits have gone the opposite way, and Ive gained weight.

I would love to hear any other input about appetite, weight fluctuation, depression, ect. from all of you. Maybe its normal, but Im really feeling lately like my pain meds are bringing me down. Im tired a lot, and honestly feeling depressed at time, which is not like me at all. This has been going on mostly for the whole winter months. Its not seasonal, ect, because Im all over the world and in warm places a lot for the winter...
Thanks for any responses!~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-03-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Pain Meds: Appetite, Motivation, Ect...

Since I've been on pain meds, about 6 yrs I think, my weight has increased by about 35 lbs. Most of the time it's a major effort just to do anything. Depression and me are old buddies. I realize it is not good waisting my life the way I do but when I can't concentrate on anything and just plain don't feel like doing anything it's hard to get off the recliner. I used to be into bicycle riding, hunting, fly-fishing, yard work , just about anything outside. Summer or winter I was always doing something outside. Now it's a major effort just to walk behind my self-propelled electric start lawn mower. In fact I did just that this morning. Now I'm on my BT meds and am done for the day and maybe tomorrow.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Arthr Itis Re: Pain Meds: Appetite, Motivation, Ect...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I've been on pain meds, about 6 yrs I think, my weight has increased by about 35 lbs. Most of the time it's a major effort just to do anything. Depression and me are old buddies. I realize it is not good waisting my life the way I do but when I can't concentrate on anything and just plain don't feel like doing anything it's hard to get off the recliner. I used to be into bicycle riding, hunting, fly-fishing, yard work , just about anything outside. Summer or winter I was always doing something outside. Now it's a major effort just to walk behind my self-propelled electric start lawn mower. In fact I did just that this morning. Now I'm on my BT meds and am done for the day and maybe tomorrow.
Fred

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My dad is in his early eighties battling CP, and it breaks my heart to see his quality of life being chained to his recliner. He used to hunt, fish, raise hunting dogs, run our ranch, ect. NEVER in the house for more than a quick lunch. Now even a trip to the doc or going to the local library to get a few books has him back on the chair for two days. In fact, he often sleeps there.

My mom is 77 and still showing horses. She goes from dawn til dusk, always doing something, visiting someone, ect. and we have all tried to educate her on CP, but she still thinks
"he could get out a bit." It makes me furious. And when he needs more b/t meds for the day maybe one dose, ect, she wont give them to him.
I think her being in charge of his meds is the worst thing ever. There isnt anything wrong with his mind at all, and knows more about what HE's doing than she does. I know she loves hims, they've been together 56 years.
Sorry to rant and get off topic. I can only imagine how he feels. His life pretty much sucks and it breaks my heart.
As far as MY CP, my mother thinks that since i can hold down a career, be a wife, mother, ect that I have no problems. If she only knew what I really go through. She thinks if you look good on the outside there isnt anything wrong on the inside...But thats a whole other topic.

Dont get me wrong...I have a wonderful life, and Im able to do much or more of what normal ppl do. Its just that Im noticing changes in myself since Ive been on narcotics, and Im looking for feedback from all of you about it too. CP is a big adjustment to anyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, all of you~

xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

What happens is that the pain meds not only numb our sense of pain, but they also numb your other senses as well, including the "full" feeling, thus, you eat more....Especially if you've taken your meds right before a meal, or with a meal. This is the main issue. As we age, our metabolism slows naturally, so caloric consumption is the name of the game.

Pain meds also can cause one to delay urination, sex drive, sexual performance, orgasm/ejaculation, digestion, increased constipation, lower blood pressure, sleep more, and the list goes on. Essentially, pain meds slow down everything....Including your metabolism, which is a big factor along with the stomach issue.

Additionally, most people on pain meds become less active for the obvious reason(s).

The combination of all is the reason.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-04-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I've been on meds for about 8 years now and if anything, I eat less and have lost about 25 lbs. Not that I couldn't stand to lose it, but it actually shocks me a little. I used to be on the go, every minute of the day, and I rarely lost weight. Now, I can do so little most days, that I would have thought I'd have gained.

I still enjoy food as much as I used to. Hubby and I are, what I guess people call foodies. We like a lot of different foods and we both love to cook. But I can't eat as much anymore, without feeling full. I never used to bring doggie bags home from a dinner out, but I do now, every time.

I self diagnosed, that it's because I drink about a gallon and a half of water every day, due to that other lovely side effect from the meds. The muscles in my lower back, hips and pelvic area are pretty much destroyed, so straining is not a good thing. And for me, the stool softeners and fiber are not enough without the water. So I guess the water fills me up. I don't know what else it could be.

I guess I shouldn't complain. But, I'd rather be heavier and pain free some days. Maybe my pain isn't covered enough anymore. I know my PM thinks it's time for a med increase and I said yes this time, so I guess I'll see if the pain itself has anything to do with it.

Another really good thread Izz. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Keep in mind that narcotics are central nervous system depressants. This speaks volumes about the primary nature of these meds. Ex gave outstanding examples. In addition they also slow the motility of the gut, which brings another significant factor into play. They also affect the hormones.

So it's no wonder that we find motivation ellusive. We go to great lengths to address the gut issues, but rarely do we act to lessen the depressant effects of the narcotics. When my doc started me on narcotics she also prescribed meds for constipation. But she went one step further and prescribed a mild stimulant, Provigil. It's a wonderful med for lifting the malaise of the narcotics. Unfortunately my insurance rejected coverage, so my doc switched me to a low dose of Dexedrine. This has done wonders for me, plus these stimulants just happen to enhance the power of the narcotics as well.

IMHO, stimulant therapy s/b cosidered as important as the meds we take to counter constipation.

steve

Old 05-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Steve, does the dexadrine affect your ability to sleep? I do have trouble in that department, so I would be interested to know. If not, I might just talk to my PM about something like this, for the constipation. Thanks, cmpgirl

Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Only if I take it too late in the day, like today. Which is why I'm online @ 2:22am...

If I make sure to stop by noon then I'm fine.

Remember now, this is for lethargy, not constipation.

steve

Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sorry Steve, I was reading too fast. I think I blended two of your sentences together and took it to mean the dexadrine helped with the constipation too. My bad! -cmpgirl

Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I agree with everybody here and that is why I wish I wouldn't take narco meds. I don't like the way I feel: very slagish, very exhausted, not motivated. I was never over weight, I always watched what i eat. I used to enjoy my food, enjoyed cooking meals for us and kids.
Now I hardly have any appetite, which is OK, but because of this I don't cook anymore fancy meals I used to. Many times the smell of food makes me sick, believe or not...

I used to be so motivated, hardly slept 4-5 hours and always was on a go. Gym was on to do list 4-5 days a week... Now I just don't have strenght for anything.
Definitily opiates slow down all bodily fanctions, slow down our metabolism and central nervous system.
Well, I don't complain, since nothing I can change or do about it as much as I want.

Best wishes...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
(female)

Rosa62 HB User

Hello Everybody!!

I haven't really taken any of the meds yet. I had Tramadol before but it made me sick as all get out. I was sick a month. Going back to pm in a few days and they're even calling tomorrow to see if they can give me something milder. I am, however, in trouble. I've gained so much weight since my operation and I have to get it off and now I'm reading the meds slow down one's metabolism!? Oh boy. I think I'll start a new thread, "Opiates and Weight Loss."

I'm bumed and going to bed. Talk to you all tomorrow. Rosa

Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Pain meds also can cause one to
delay urination, YESorgasm/ejaculation, YESdigestion, YES
increased constipation,YESsleep more,YES
and the list goes on.
Ex
geesh that just makes me feel even more depressed. That does answer my question that I posted about the tiredness/drowsiness/fatigue. I just don't know what to do sometimes. It's very frustrating but at least I have many people that are experiencing the same things with me, makes me feel a slight bit better.

brian

Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Yes, Juliet, you are correct. For me, it's no question that the "pros" outweigh the "cons" of meds. Everyone is different though.

Good luck to all.

Ex

Closed Thread