It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 118
Luvmypugs HB User
Question Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?


Hi everyone. For those who read my last post "Darvocet or Hydrocodone" maybe you can help me now. I think I may be allergic to the Darvocet...I have got dime-size splotches on my chest and neck and they itch and not to mention the Darvocet doesn't do crap for the knee pain. Should I call the Ortho Doc's answering service and see if they can help me by getting him to call something else in or should I just wait until tomorrow. My knee is killing me and it is so swollen but I know it isn't and "emergency".

Hope everyone is having a relatively pain-free day . Take care all!!

 
Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 140
morgyporgy HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Hi Luv,

You really do need to take an allergic reaction to a medication seriously. I also had a bad reaction to darvocet and my Dr. had me go the ER ASAP. You need to call your doctor and tell them what is happening. Please don't wait because if it is a true allergic reaction there could be some pretty serious consequences. I almost stopped breathing because of my throat swelling. They had to give me an antihistamine and steroids to reverse the effects. I was in the hospital a day and a half. It should be treated as an emergency and you need to call your doctor. Don't wait. I really am not trying to scare you but you need to be aware of what could happen if you wait. GL and let us know what happens. CALL!!! God Bless, morgyporgy
__________________
God Bless everyone and pray for a pain manageable day. morgy porgy

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,569
forginon HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Luv,

Yes, please do alert the doc's office. Because of CYA they'll probably send you to the ER.

When you make this known be sure to advise whomever you talk with that other narcotics do not do this to you (if that's true - that way they won't assume you have a problem with all narcotics and flag your file to avoid ever giving narcotics).

I wouldn't mention other meds at this point - they'll know the darvocet was prescribed for pain and ought to substitute with something else. If that doesn't happen during the day today, make sure then that the doc knows you still need something for pain.

steve

 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 118
Luvmypugs HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?


Thanks for the reply. No I'm not allergic to any other pain meds that I know of except Morphine (makes me itch until I go crazy). I guess I was just leary of calling the answering service because it wasn't an "emergency" per say. I have taken 2 Benadryl since my last post and it has helped but I still don't want to take the Darvocet.

 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)
 
Moldova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: N.J.
Posts: 3,648
Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

I would suggest not to think twice to call your DR ASAP.
I was rushed to ER last month due to Fentanyl patch severe reaction. Honestly I was lucky to get ther in time.
Please, call and follow his directions. Let us know how did it go with your problem.

Best of luck to you!

 
Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Gresham, Oregon
Posts: 1,342
Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Allergic reactions of any kind do count as a true emergency. also since they will probably tell you to stop taking the darvocet right away, they need to replace it with another (hopefully more effective) pain killer.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Hugs, Fabby

 
Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,569
forginon HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypugs View Post

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not allergic to any other pain meds that I know of except Morphine (makes me itch until I go crazy)...
Just so you know, itching by itself is not an allergy. Itching is a normal side effect of many opioids. For some it's a show stopper because the itching is so bad. But, if the itching is accompanied by shortness of breath, swelling of the throat, hives or any kind of breathing difficulty, then these things point to allergy.

steve

 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 118
Luvmypugs HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?


Okay guys you are not going to believe this (or maybe you will ha ha), I put a call in to the Ortho Doc's answering service and my doctor was the one on call but the answering service "person" who answered said she would not page the Doc for a prescription unless I had surgery recently . I told her I was obviously allergic to what he gave me on Friday and I thought he would want to know but she was almost rude and stood her ground. I told her I would be sure to call him Monday morning and let him know and that I also would let him know that they wouldn't call him. After all my hesitation to call only to hit the brick wall....just my luck.

Take care

 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aurora,KY USA
Posts: 516
kyma3 HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Luv I would think that the answering service was WRONG and the doctor should let them know that was unacceptable. An allergic reaction can kill and that is not to scare you but they were wrong in their decision and there was no reason to treat you with hostility.

Linda

 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,884
cmpgirl HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

LMP, That is totally unacceptable! As Linda said, if someone is having an allergic reaction to a med that this doc prescribed, that is serious! I would love to hear what he has to say about that. I would definitely call him and let him know how they treated you. And I would ask him if that is truly his philosophy about being paged. If he agrees with the way they handled it, then I would say it is time to find a new ortho.

Take care and let us know how it goes. God Bless, cmpgirl

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Should I call my mother on her birthday? Angelique43 Relationship Health 28 04-25-2010 01:33 PM
Do I worry? Should I be mad? And what do I say to the doctor? ladybug111373 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 9 01-04-2010 06:23 PM
should I take Plaquenil now or wait? weebee wobbles Lupus 7 08-06-2009 07:14 PM
Do I call again or go in today? zuzu23 Pain Management 10 12-15-2006 04:27 PM
I am having pain should I go to emergency room?please read! katebf Women's Health 2 10-03-2006 04:49 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:33 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!