It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Question Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Hi everyone. For those who read my last post "Darvocet or Hydrocodone" maybe you can help me now. I think I may be allergic to the Darvocet...I have got dime-size splotches on my chest and neck and they itch and not to mention the Darvocet doesn't do crap for the knee pain. Should I call the Ortho Doc's answering service and see if they can help me by getting him to call something else in or should I just wait until tomorrow. My knee is killing me and it is so swollen but I know it isn't and "emergency".

Hope everyone is having a relatively pain-free day . Take care all!!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
(female)

morgyporgy HB User
Re: Should I call the Doctor or wait until tomorrow?

Hi Luv,

You really do need to take an allergic reaction to a medication seriously. I also had a bad reaction to darvocet and my Dr. had me go the ER ASAP. You need to call your doctor and tell them what is happening. Please don't wait because if it is a true allergic reaction there could be some pretty serious consequences. I almost stopped breathing because of my throat swelling. They had to give me an antihistamine and steroids to reverse the effects. I was in the hospital a day and a half. It should be treated as an emergency and you need to call your doctor. Don't wait. I really am not trying to scare you but you need to be aware of what could happen if you wait. GL and let us know what happens. CALL!!! God Bless, morgyporgy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Luv,

Yes, please do alert the doc's office. Because of CYA they'll probably send you to the ER.

When you make this known be sure to advise whomever you talk with that other narcotics do not do this to you (if that's true - that way they won't assume you have a problem with all narcotics and flag your file to avoid ever giving narcotics).

I wouldn't mention other meds at this point - they'll know the darvocet was prescribed for pain and ought to substitute with something else. If that doesn't happen during the day today, make sure then that the doc knows you still need something for pain.

steve

Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not allergic to any other pain meds that I know of except Morphine (makes me itch until I go crazy). I guess I was just leary of calling the answering service because it wasn't an "emergency" per say. I have taken 2 Benadryl since my last post and it has helped but I still don't want to take the Darvocet.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I would suggest not to think twice to call your DR ASAP.
I was rushed to ER last month due to Fentanyl patch severe reaction. Honestly I was lucky to get ther in time.
Please, call and follow his directions. Let us know how did it go with your problem.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Allergic reactions of any kind do count as a true emergency. also since they will probably tell you to stop taking the darvocet right away, they need to replace it with another (hopefully more effective) pain killer.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Hugs, Fabby

Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypugs View Post

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not allergic to any other pain meds that I know of except Morphine (makes me itch until I go crazy)...
Just so you know, itching by itself is not an allergy. Itching is a normal side effect of many opioids. For some it's a show stopper because the itching is so bad. But, if the itching is accompanied by shortness of breath, swelling of the throat, hives or any kind of breathing difficulty, then these things point to allergy.

steve

Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Okay guys you are not going to believe this (or maybe you will ha ha), I put a call in to the Ortho Doc's answering service and my doctor was the one on call but the answering service "person" who answered said she would not page the Doc for a prescription unless I had surgery recently . I told her I was obviously allergic to what he gave me on Friday and I thought he would want to know but she was almost rude and stood her ground. I told her I would be sure to call him Monday morning and let him know and that I also would let him know that they wouldn't call him. After all my hesitation to call only to hit the brick wall....just my luck.

Take care

Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Luv I would think that the answering service was WRONG and the doctor should let them know that was unacceptable. An allergic reaction can kill and that is not to scare you but they were wrong in their decision and there was no reason to treat you with hostility.

Linda

Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

LMP, That is totally unacceptable! As Linda said, if someone is having an allergic reaction to a med that this doc prescribed, that is serious! I would love to hear what he has to say about that. I would definitely call him and let him know how they treated you. And I would ask him if that is truly his philosophy about being paged. If he agrees with the way they handled it, then I would say it is time to find a new ortho.

Take care and let us know how it goes. God Bless, cmpgirl

Closed Thread