It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Afradi To Tell Doc That My Meds Are Making Me Tired, Afraid He Will Reduce Them!

I have decided to call my doc tomorrow. I have tried cutting back, ect on my meds, even going off of the patch [only 12's] to combat the the fatigue, and my pain is of course a ton worse.

I know I shouldnt be afraid to talk to my doc, he is so kind and wonderful, but a lot of times whn Im trying to explain something the opposite comes out. To make it worse, I can only talk to him via phone, right now, and I dont have a half hour to explain things.

How can I explain to him that they are wiping me out, without him taking my dose down?

Im afraid it will be his first suggestion. Id like to try something like Brian has thought about, the Provogil, but I also suffer from adult ADHD. This doc hasnt ever treated me for ADHD. I kind of got tired of taking the meds for it...concerta, Ritalin, Strattera, ect. I havent tried Adderall, but with all of the scary stuff out about it, Im afraid to. Also I dont know if I can because of my work...When I was on Ritalin, I was on a break from my work.

So does anyone have any ideas? My doc is wonderful, but he tends to weed things out first, by trial and error, and Im afraid the meds will be the first suggestion, only because evryone hs pointed out how narcotics make you tired and effect the CNS. Im not on that much, either. And like all of you, my meds allow me to function as close to normal as possible. BUT they are taking that away from me slowly. Im just tired all of the time.

I got my labs back and will be faxing them to him tomorrow morning, every thing under the sun was covered. Also like I stated, Im seeing the NP about those and possible digestive problems tomorrow as well.
Maybe Im just getting scared about nothing, but its always nice to hear what you guys have to say.
Any advice would be helpful as always, you guys are the best~
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-04-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: Afradi To Tell Doc That My Meds Are Making Me Tired, Afraid He Will Reduce Them!

Hey Izzy, I wouldn't worry to much about having your dose reduced b/c this is normal when one takes narcotics. It is a side effect, but not something he will cut you down for. so don't even go there and tell him that is not an option for you if he mentions it. Just be strong and say you can't have your meds reduced as your pain is still very severe. And end it there.

My PM at one time gave me provigil. she gave me like 10 pills and it was 65.00 with insurance so I never took the RX. I can't afford that kind of money. there really expensive and if I recall your insurance isn't very good about paying for your meds, so get a price quote before you ask for this med.

Are you getting tired while your actually "working" and doing things like house work and computer time? or are you just tired when your sitting down, driving, watching TV, and reading? That is what happens to me, but if I am up working and moving around the house I never get sleepy. It happens when I do sedating things. I cannot drive long distances any more period. I get real dopey feeling and I feel stoned. Its weird b/c I don't feel this way any other time except when I drive. I want to nod off. Not good so I just don't drive long distances anymore.

Anyhow if your getting tired doing the things I mentioned its normal, we all do and its just a side effect you learn to live with.

I do exercise and this helps my energy. I love to hike with my dogs and go for daily walks, and I also swim. This helps me a lot, do you exercise any? I know your job is golfing but I am not sure how physical that is as I have never golfed in my life.

perk up the water DRINK MORE OF IT, exercise more and drink more ice tea, this is the season for that great Ice tea.
Your Dr may have another med in mind, but really why start a new drug, spend more money and deal with more side effects. its not worth it, try it naturally, It's a side effect I live with too I think a lot of us do.
SS

Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: Afradi To Tell Doc That My Meds Are Making Me Tired, Afraid He Will Reduce Them!

Slips~
Thx for the post...I am on the golf course 24/7 and VERY active. The only time I have to do puter stuff is when I check in here, or of course business things...
I am having a really hard time just having ANY energy, and its been a HUGE change since the narcotics. At first I was full of energy, but not buzzed, and it wasnt a big deal to me at all. But Ive been evaluating it thru the last going on 3 yrs, and its DEFINATELY made a huge difference.
I guess Ill wait to see what he says tomorrow...hes so good about calling me right back, so I should just quit stressing and see what happens. As for the water, I always guzzle it as well. Im taking my labs to my NP tomorrow, and she is an Ex partner of his, but they are still ovn VERY good terms. In fact she treats me here, when i cannot get over to him. she told me to bring my labs, an any supplements I have, and we will go from there tomorrow. Then they will consult.
I know being tired is a side effect, but Im thinking that there is more to it...guess Ill find out. thanks again for the responses. Sorry to be all over the place today...Having to stay still for the weekend has made me a bit "stir crazy."
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-04-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Izzy'sMom,

This is what I said facing the same thing: "I've got two things I want to share. First, You need to know how much I appreciate your treatment of my pain. They allow me to be functional, to do my job and live a reasonably decent life even with the pain. I am so grateful to you for this. Second thing is that one of the side effects of my pain meds - it's been with me since I started these meds but I always figured it would go away or get easier. I'm willing to live with it because it's so minor compared to the benefits, but I'd love to feel less tired or lethargic. I know of someone in my situation who's doc prescribed Provigil and it made a huge difference for him, plus he feels it makes his pain med work even better. And that would be great for me because my pain is so hard to deal with and if there's the added benefit of even better pain relief that's great - because I certainly could not get by with less pain meds. So, could we do a trial with the Provigil? If it doesn't help we'll forget about it."

What do you think?

steve

Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thank you Steve...
That is exaclty how I talk to my doc, and I just needed someone to help me put it into words. thank you SO very much.

And to any one else who has suggestions, please share. Thank you~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Izz, How are your current meds doing, as far as covering your pain to manageable levels? I only ask, because sometimes, increased pain and what we go through physically and mentally to combat it, can be exhausting. I don't know how long you have been on your current doses, or how well your pain is managed, but I just thought I'd play devil's advocate.

If it's not the pain, then I think what Steve suggested is perfect. That would be a great way to approach the doc, without having to worry about how he takes it.

Anyway, I wish you luck and send good thoughts for your appointment. Hugs, cmpgirl

Old 05-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

good thinking cmpgrl about the pain possibly being up and that can drain you mentally and then that makes the pain worse, which makes the exhaustions worse and on and on

Izzysmom, I just wanted to say that I have been thinking about what to do for this same exact effect. The bad thing is that the last couple of days my pain has been worse but maybe that is because I have reached the breaking point, been completely exhausted and trying to rest. Plus the weather got colder and it rained so that doesn't help things either.

I would definitely ask the doctor about the Provigil. I wish that I could ask my doctor about it but from what you guys thought it might not be a good idea and could be looked at as drug seeking, although you guys know differently. Heck if I wanted to abuse, it could be easily done with the Percocets.

I really get so tired of having to drink coffee or tea to keep myself awake and half way alert. I really must get 10 hours of sleep per night and sometimes it's as much as 12. Obviously I don't like it this way but what else am I going to do. I did cut back and knew that the 62mcg/day was too much and went back down to 50mcg. I am pretty much now taking 4/day on the Percocets which is not the greatest and the last couple of days have been adding on Ibuprofen.

OK, back to you Izzy's mom. I'm sorry that I am getting so distracted. I guess since you got your labs back then nothing is going on hormone wise. I just wonder if a woman's testosterone can be too low like a man's can. I know that women do have this hormone but in lower amounts. Hopefully you can get things figured out and when you do let us know.

brian

Old 05-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
I guess since you got your labs back then nothing is going on hormone wise. I just wonder if a woman's testosterone can be too low like a man's can. I know that women do have this hormone but in lower amounts.

Very possible. Women make T just like men, but in lower amounts. T is the basis for muscle, energy, and athleticism.

Narcotics will suppress your T.

Ex

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

That is one thing Im going to duscuss with my NP today. Sex for me is NOT in my life right now. I could care less, and its been that way for quite a while. Im so lucky I have an understanding hubby. Im late for my appt~
Ill post when I return.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread