It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Patch availability (or lack thereof) update

To all patch users- At least in my area of the country, I cannot find any 12 or 25 patches, except Mylan. I've checked with two major independent pharmacies, and both of their distributors are out of inventory and no dates of replenishment are planned.

With the 25 re-call and subsequent problems getting the sku back on-line, a tremendous amount of market pressure has been put on the 12s, thereby, effecting supply. My pharmacist said that even the Mylans were getting low distribution stock because many have resorted to them as a last resort.

Thus, it leaves patch users like me in a quandary....Either up the dose to 50s, or change therapy. Not sure what I'm going to do..........

Wanted to give other patch wearers a heads up......

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Patch availability (or lack thereof) update

Ex, If you end up having to change therapies, has there been any med, that you have tried before, that gave you relief even close to the Fent? I'm just curious, because if you tried oxycontin before, and were only on a 2x/day regimine, it might work better with a 3x/day schedule. More docs seem to be open to this now. Just wondering..... cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

There is also another brand Watson makes a 25 patch. I don't believe it is as good as the brand or Sandolz but it's not as bad as Mylan either. So you might try giving that one a try. With this recall, it seems like I have been hearing about it for about two-three months...what's up with that. I understand a recall but why is it effecting multiple brands and how long does it take to get the stock back up. Makes you wonder!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Ex, If you end up having to change therapies, has there been any med, that you have tried before, that gave you relief even close to the Fent? I'm just curious, because if you tried oxycontin before, and were only on a 2x/day regimine, it might work better with a 3x/day schedule. More docs seem to be open to this now. Just wondering..... cmpgirl
Yes, I was on OC 3 X day....Didn't work very well. My Doc is convinced that OC is only a 6-8 hr med. Went to the patch because of OCs poor performance.

Also, from what I'm finding out, all the 25s and 12s are in short availability due to the re-call. Janssen (Duragesic) was making all their own 25s + Sandoz's 25s......Thus, with the problem not yet fixed, it's putting a market strain on ALL the other brands.

The 12s were a low volume sku (production was set up accordingly) while the 25s were fairly high. Thus, when the 25s became unavailable, lots of Docs were doubling up on 12s to get by....This wiped out the nationwide inventory of 12s.

Ex

Old 05-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Im glad I live in the "Hills" then for this, because I have no problem getting mine at all.
My doc was willing to give me something else LA while the patches were pulled, and in the long run, I stayed on the 12's.

Ex, cant you order from somewhere else? I mean my compound pharmacy can get them as well as the chain stores here. If you want, Ill ask my compound pharmacist, She owns her pharmacy and we are good friends.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

What part of the country are you in? I've called independents and chains, and none can supply them. The chains are the worse because they typically have to order what their national purchasing office requires them to....Cost control.

Those that do have them, have 1 or 2 boxes. What's alarming is that the distributors, who supply hundreds of pharmacies, are out.

Ex

Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

This is not good especially with the shortage of oxycontin.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
(female)

fenfan88 HB User

wow I didnt even know they made 12's. My brand is Watson and they're 50's. I get 10 a month bu only use one when it's time for my menstrual cycle.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
What part of the country are you in? I've called independents and chains, and none can supply them. The chains are the worse because they typically have to order what their national purchasing office requires them to....Cost control.

Those that do have them, have 1 or 2 boxes. What's alarming is that the distributors, who supply hundreds of pharmacies, are out.

Ex

Southwest, EX. And I could have had my 25's filled by the chain I use today, but IM not on them anymore. I use the 12's now. They are not back stock, they cant do that, so I really dont know what is going on...sorry I cant be of more help!
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I had to get my oxycontin filled at a different pharmacy b/c 6 stores were out of stock on the 40mgs tabs. I am shocked at this, and a bit worried too. I feel your frusration and I hope you can find your patches. SCARY. Are you out of meds?

Good luck in finding them, I hope your not out.

SS

Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

No, I'm not out Slippery....Thanks for asking...But I've had to scrounge around, that's for sure. And, I don't mean to brag, but I pulled out all the stops and was very resourceful...Not all have the means (or time) to do so.....Makes me wonder what many are doing?

I literally called every independent pharmacy I could within 25-30 miles...A reasonable drive. Independents are my target because they deal directly with the distributor / warehouse, whereas chains deal with their home office who orders nationally. Also, the chains are much less likely to work with you on special orders, holding product, and etc.

Before my most recent appointment, I was able to find a couple of boxes @ one pharmacy, and they are holding them for me. Then, they special ordered the remaining script qty, which are due in to the warehouse in about 7-10 days. Because my monthly script has been divided up into two shipments, I had to get two scripts (one monthly script broken up into two) due to the CII laws. The only thing I'm guaranteed is the first part of the script that they are holding....If the remaining balance doesn't come in, I'm in trouble!

Of course, I had to run this all by my Doc, which he was ok with.....But, the key was to find the inventory first (before my appt) and then get the scripts to match. A pain (no pun intended) to say the least. Conversely, if a unsuspecting patient simply shows up @ their respective pharmacy, they are in for a rude awakening. With all my meds, I have made a habit of calling a week to 10 days ahead for reasons just like this....Gives me time to scrounge around and find inventory.

Now, it is important to note that the Mylans are available, but my Doc has strongly recommended that I not use them, so I'm gun shy....Big time! However, my pharmacist said even they are running low due to the overall market pressure on the 25s. Calling Janssen is useless as they won't tell you anything. All they say is "no information is available at this time."

Lastly, according to the most recent warehouse we contacted, the Duragesic brand (in both 12s and 25s) are due in the next couple weeks whereas the Sandoz won't be available until July. This tells me that Janssen is going to replenish their "branded" product before making product for Sandoz.....Which makes perfect financial sense (for Janssen).

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-06-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

why don't you use mail order?
Last year I was on a specific prescription (non narcotic) and my doc had me get it from a mailorder place. It came in a styrofoam refrigerated box and it was overnighted. Is there a reg about this precription where you cannot do this?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Don't think you can do CIIs via mail....Not sure.

Ex

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
(female)

Advice seeker HB User

My husband had been on the 100 mcg patch for several years. He was in the process of titrating down due to side effects. He was down to the 25s when the recall took place. (He had tried the Mylan previously and went into withdrawals, so they were not an option.) After being unable to get the 25s, his doctor wrote a script for him to use two of the 12s. However, his insurance company refused to pay for them. His doctor increased his dosage back up to the 50s for one month, but the side effects were still too much. (Constipation, diverticulitis and colon infection). So, his doctor switched him to Opana ER and, so far, he is really happy with the change.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

I have heard of others who say the Opana ER works well. Can you give me some more details? Does he take 2 x or 3 x? Any info you could provide would be appreciative.

Thxs.

Ex

Closed Thread