It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Anyone tried Talwin for pain?

Here's an update on what the Orthopaedic Doc is doing now. He had his coordinator call and say he would only give me Ultram, Esgic Plus or Talwin for my knee and he only gives stronger drugs to those who have just had surgery. I have never had Talwin but I thought at this point what the heck I'll try it. Has anyone here ever had this drug and if so how well did it work?

Take care

Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Anyone tried Talwin for pain?

LMP, I had never heard of this med before, so I looked it up. I guess it is another name for Naloxone, which is an "opioid antagonist". I'm not well versed in these kinds of meds, but several here on the boards are. It did say that it is a schedule IV narcotic, with lower risk of dependency, but I don't know much else.

I'm sure that some of the others can give you better info, but just thought I'd share this much. Good luck and let us know how it works. cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I believe it's a mixture of pentazocine and naloxone. Pentazocine is a partial agonist like buprenorphine, and naloxone is like cmpgirl wrote, an opioid antagonist. The naloxone is in there in case anyone gets an idea to melt it down and shoot it up, at which time the naloxone will cause immediate withdrawal (if one is dependent). Taken orally, the naloxone is inactive.

Strength wise, I believe it's somewhat like tylenol and codeine #4.

steve

Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

LMP-
I had Talwin about 4 years ago after some dental work. It made me very drowsy, but really did help with the pain. I'd give it a try and see how it works. I really hope it helps you. I know dental pain and orthopeadic pain are two totally different pains, but fingers are crossed that it helps you.

Please let us know!!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

LMP,

You want to be sure to be free of any regular opioids before taking talwin or it'll throw you into withdrawals.

Pentazocine is a lot like buprenorphine, a partial agonist. If one is dependent on a full agonist like morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc, then the withdrawals will follow. If you are dependent on a full agonist, or take one very regularly, it would be best to have stopped them for at least a full day or two before taking talwin.

steve

Old 05-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I was given this drug about 40 years ago for menstrual cramps. To tell you the truth, I thought they had taken it off the market. It didn't give me enough pain control and I think I stopped taking it on a monthly basis after about a year.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memere View Post
I was given this drug about 40 years ago for menstrual cramps. To tell you the truth, I thought they had taken it off the market. It didn't give me enough pain control and I think I stopped taking it on a monthly basis after about a year.
LMP, I don't know if you remeber my post to your last thread, about some docs being way out of the loop, as far as new meds vs. obsolete ones? This sure sounds like possible proof that this ortho is one of them.

Just what did the doc say when you let him know how his service behaved? Did he seem to care?

Just curious. Take care and God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
(male)

Northwest1 HB User

Had Talwin 25 years ago after dental surgery, it killed the pain but I got pretty sick from it the few times that it was taken-guess that's an opiate side effect?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Just what did the doc say when you let him know how his service behaved? Did he seem to care?

I didn't speak to him, just his "coordinator" and she just blew it off . She did comment on my MRI and said his notes said "the knee wasn't in bad shape at all" and that's why he won't give me anything stronger. I was speechless, I thought to myself "do I need to start recording my office visits with him so I can prove what he told me in the room"??? I have taken a couple of the Talwin's since yesterday and they work OK at best but what's a girl to do? I'm so fed up with doctors and their lack of caring. I went through the same thing with my OBGYN after my total abdominal hysterectomy in February. He gave me one script for Demerol when I left the hospital and then wanted to give me Ultram or Darvocet after that too. Why is it that I can't get any doctor to take care of me and when I read through post after post on this board and others some people seem to be able to get pain medicine if they sneeze. I realize most of you are CP patients and I feel for you but to those (and you know who you are) who get pain meds whenever they like, it's not fair to those of us who really need them because the doctors are now so paranoid. Please don't flog me with replies if you think I'm being insensitive, I'm not. We all know there are always those that ruin it for the rest and then there are those who truly deserve the best meds and caring doctors, especially CP patients. Trust me I've seen my share of people truly in pain (my father-in-law was a doctor, now deceased) and my dad, grandmother & both grandfathers died of cancer. I also know how hard it is sometimes to tell between someone truly in pain and a hypochondriac....that's what I mean by people who ruin it for all of us. Sorry to be so long winded this morning, I'm just not feeling well.

Take care

Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Luvmypugs, I know how you feel about how some people receive better pain medications and some don't. I suffer from a very painful condition called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy which is caused by alot of nerve damage. I also suffer from very painful muscle spasms in my neck and at times I get them in my back and chest as well. I know people who suffer from the same condition that are on way more stronger naracotics than me. The only naracotic ( if you want to call it that) is Norco which is similar to Percocets but supposely not as strong. The other medications I take is Neurontin for the nerve pain, Celebrex for arthritis and Soma to help with the muscle spasms. The only thing though is I only 44 and there's is no cure for none of my conditions. So I realize that I will have to suffer every day for the rest of my life so there's no need to really start taking the stronger medications now. In the long run, if I start taking them now what happens 20 yrs from now when if I build up a tolerance to them. I feel for you, I hope that maybe you should keep trying to find a more caring and understanding doctor. I like you when it comes to how come some get better pain meds than others. Maybe some people have a lower pain tolerance than me. I know for me most people pain level of 10 is only a 1 or 2 to me. The reason why is because I had a survive a near fatal car accident when I was 19. I was in alot of pain from my head to my toes when I finally woke up and will never forget how much pain I was in. So I had to learn then how to walk and everything while dealing with all the pain I was in. So I guess that why I have such a high tolerance to pain. Maybe it's time to find a new doctor who is more understanding to your pain and is willing to treat you better than the one you have now.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

LuvMP:

I agree with rayefaye in that if you feel that you are not being treated as you should be then it's time to stand up and find an ortho who is willing to treat your pain as you deserve.

Quote:
I realize most of you are CP patients and I feel for you but to those (and you know who you are) who get pain meds whenever they like, it's not fair to those of us who really need them because the doctors are now so paranoid.
I also understand your frustration at the situation with some docs who willingly and openly prescribe narcotics and those who are DEA/narcotics shy, however, I will say that your statement was a bit unfair towards those of us with CP. None of us have asked to be in the situation we are are in, and if any of us could turn the clock back, or make our condition go away, or a simple surgery to rid us of this dreaded thing called pain which dictates our every move, or I guess I should say, lack thereof.

It's time for you to take your medical management into your own hands if you are that unhappy with your care, and do something about it. Seek out another opinion from another orthopaedic doc. If you have to interview two or three, then do so. My intent is not to "flog" you, just to help you see that you have a voice in your healthcare. Be PROACTIVE and look get another opinion.

It may take you a bit of searching, but ask your GP, and even your OBGYN for a referral. Your insurance may be able to help as well if they have a directory of Ortho docs in your area.

I hope that I haven't offended you by speaking up, but I must admit, that one sentence was a bit offensive to me, and I know it (at least I hope it) is the pain and frustratration of all you have been through. You deserve good healthcare, and I sure hope you can find someone to help you resolve your issues before you turn into one of us CP'ers. God Forbid that something that CAN be treated with a simple surgery that is put off or let go to the point that you hit the point of no return, and DO become a Chronic CP patient. I am praying that does not happen.

Many Blessings and prayers that you truely find the relief you deserve.

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 05-06-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalMalady View Post
LuvMP:
however, I will say that your statement was a bit unfair towards those of us with CP. None of us have asked to be in the situation we are are in, and if any of us could turn the clock back, or make our condition go away, or a simple surgery to rid us of this dreaded thing called pain which dictates our every move, or I guess I should say, lack thereof.
~!~ Becky ~!~

Becky, maybe it was just how you read it because I don't read anything I wrote that way. I was standing up for those with CP, and God knows no one wishes ill-health upon themselves. True CP patients deserve the most caring and compassionate doctors, hypochondriacs do not.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

LMP, There really are docs out there who care. They are hard to find, but they exist. I had some horrible docs when I first had CP. They would look right at me, tell me that I would have to live with the pain for the rest of my life and then send me on my way. If they gave me anything, prescription wise, it was never anything stronger than baby aspirin!

I just got so fed up that I vowed to find a doctor to take care of me, no matter what. I found a doc, who has been a Godsend and I have been with him ever since. I really think you are to the point where you need to find a doc who specializes in pain management. And a new ortho. This guy really seems to be living in the past. Even if you may have what is causing your pain, fixed down the road, for now, you need the help.

If you can, look in your area for a doc who is a physiatrist (that's an MD who specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) or look under Pain Management. They are finding now that pain that goes untreated or undertreated, is the main cause of patients becoming chronic for life. One of my docs gave me an article, that talked about studies that the military is conducting, where they have found that wounded soldiers who are treated aggressively with pain meds, have less risk of having that pain become a permenant disability.

You shouldn't have to suffer because one or two or even three docs that you have seen, don't know their "you know what" from their elbow. This is not right, to let you go on like this. Please take my advice and many others here, and find a new doctor. I have to go 1 hour away to see mine and I would drive farther if I had to, because he cares. They really are out there, and it kills me to see you suffer like this.

Take care my friend and I will be sending good thoughts your way. cmpgirl

Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypugs View Post

Becky, maybe it was just how you read it because I don't read anything I wrote that way. I was standing up for those with CP, and God knows no one wishes ill-health upon themselves. True CP patients deserve the most caring and compassionate doctors, hypochondriacs do not.

Then my sincerest apologies for misreading what you read, or for taking it wrong. I truely do hope you get the help you so deserve, and hope you embark on a search to find that care.

I'll have to blame it on stress and pain today... though that's not an excuse...

I hope you accept my sincerest apologies.

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User

Becky, thanks but you don't owe me an apology. I just wanted to be sure I didn't offend anyone. I feel for you and others who are in pain daily, it breaks my heart for you. I guess I just feel like there are more doctors than not who don't really care about their patients and it's a shame that so many are like that and that so many people (hypo's) ruin it for everyone.

Best wishes and hugs to you!!
Take care

Closed Thread