It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Me complaining again?

Hope you guys don't get sick of hearing my complaints. I know everything is connected but I have horrible pain in both knees and thighs. On Sunday I had a party for my son so I was doing a lot of walking around. Then I was in church for 2 hours up and down for the service. The pain started that night. Monday was unbearable. The knees hurt when I stand and sit. It reminds me of the torn cartilidge pain I had years ago. Needless to say, my back is throbbing. No meds are working. It seems like every joint hurts. The pain is just getting worse. I see the Dr. next week. I hate to call early because I'm always afraid of them thinking I am a hyperchrondriac. So, anyone ever get thigh and knee pain from the back pain? Just curous.

Last edited by hessie28; 05-06-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Me complaining again?

Hessie: I think what you might be experiencing is some expanded pain, just due to being a pain patient for so long. After a while, our bodies just get tired out from the constant pain. I know at times when I've overdone it and my pain levels are not as under control as they could be, even my teeth hurt!

I don't know if you can take anti-inflamatories, but sometimes, I will add them to my daily med regimine, every 4-6 hours or so. Even for a few days, just to get over that hump. It usually makes a difference.

Hang in there, my friend. I hope you're feeling better soon. If it's any consolation, I'm having a bad couple of weeks myself. Take care and God Bless, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Hessie: I think what you might be experiencing is some expanded pain, just due to being a pain patient for so long. After a while, our bodies just get tired out from the constant pain. I know at times when I've overdone it and my pain levels are not as under control as they could be, even my teeth hurt!

I don't know if you can take anti-inflamatories, but sometimes, I will add them to my daily med regimine, every 4-6 hours or so. Even for a few days, just to get over that hump. It usually makes a difference.

Hang in there, my friend. I hope you're feeling better soon. If it's any consolation, I'm having a bad couple of weeks myself. Take care and God Bless, cmpgirl
Thanks. I can't take anti inflammatories. I wonder if anything else to do? I did use the TENS machine on both knees earlier. Did not notice a thing. Have the heating paid on my back now. Thanks for your response.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hessie, yes you can have thigh pain from your back all the way down into your toes. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Pepper

Old 05-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
Hessie, yes you can have thigh pain from your back all the way down into your toes. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Pepper
Thanks. It feels more like a muscle or something. Right above both bones it is swollen. Maybe water retention. Who knows. It is killing me.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hessie, Sounds like joint pain and inflamation. I know you can't take the anti-inflams, but maybe a steroid based cream or something like that. I can also recommend ThermaCare heat wraps. They make one for the knees, as well as the back and neck, etc. They are in the section of the store where you find ACE bandages & first aid items, usually. They are really good. Like a heating pad, without the cord. You can wear them right under your clothes and they last about 8 hours. Allows you a lot more flexibility. You're not chained to the chair or couch like with a heating pad.

Hope you feel better soon, cmpgirl

Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
Hessie, Sounds like joint pain and inflamation. I know you can't take the anti-inflams, but maybe a steroid based cream or something like that. I can also recommend ThermaCare heat wraps. They make one for the knees, as well as the back and neck, etc. They are in the section of the store where you find ACE bandages & first aid items, usually. They are really good. Like a heating pad, without the cord. You can wear them right under your clothes and they last about 8 hours. Allows you a lot more flexibility. You're not chained to the chair or couch like with a heating pad.

Hope you feel better soon, cmpgirl
Thanks for the idea. I actually have a bunch of boxes of the ThermaCare heat wraps for the back. Some are too small and may be perfect for my knee. I never used them again after the back surgery. I didn't know if I could after the back surgery. I used them daily before the back surgery.

When I had done therapy for my knee they had my buy some type of tape for the knee. You put white tape on first and then some sticky brown tape and pull it tight. It felt like you were wearing a brace. It was excellent. Still have the white stuff but cannot remember the name of the brown tape. Have to look it up. I'm sure it would help.

Today was the worst day so far. Had to use the cane to get around. Both knees hurt. The right one is swollen. It is swollen and the pain is above the knee bone. What does that sound like? Any ideas? The two Oxycodones don't even touch the pain. I'm hoping it goes away fast. In a week and a half I have to take a 5 hour car ride to Maine for my brother's wedding. I'm also his Godmother so I have to go. It will be rough though.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hessie, be careful with the therma wraps there was recently something in the news about it causing burns. Do a search and I am sure it will come up.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hessie and Pepper, I believe it was the wraps put out by Ben Gay. They heated up and also had ointment in them and people were experiencing bad burns. The ThermaCare brand are fine.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I used the heat wraps for years and never had a problem. I went to the Dr. on Wednesday. He gave me Celebrex. He said it is not hard on the stomach. So we will see. He said I have inflammation of the Patellas (upper part of the knees). He agrees it is probably from all the standing I did on Sunday. He said take the meds and ice them. He also increased my Oxycotin to 20mg every 12 hours. He said the goal is to decrease the Oxycodone I take every 4 hours. Hope it all works.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Icy Hot Heat Wraps were what I was thinking of. The FDA even made a statement warning of the burns.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hessie:

First let me say that never apologize for the need to vent or complain. That's what these boards are for!! We are all here to support each other when the call is put out for help!

The IcyHot brand are the ones with the adhesive. I bought some trying to be frugal, because they come 3 to a pack, and the Thermacare only has two to a box.

I didn't get burned, but what happened to me, was that I ripped off the whole patch of skin where the product was adhered. It was HUGE!! It was almost the same as a 3rd degree burn, and it took weeks to heal. I have a terrible scar on my back where it happened. Just a side note too...I had been using that product with no problems for a several of weeks, and it was the second or third box that I bought that this had happened. It also was not after continuous use. Another thing of note, I am NOT allergic to any type of adhesive materials...

Just my experiences...I had started a thread a while back after this happened trying to warn folks to be careful of the IcyHot product. I will never use it again.

I'm so sorry you are hurting so bad Hessie. Take care and start feeling better real soon. You will continue in my thoughts and prayers.

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Yes Hessie, I get pain in my thighs, knees, calves and feet. Is it from my back? Maybe. It could also be from whatever is causing all this crap.
Fred

Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for the input. I am so sick of things hurting. Why can't I wake up one day and have one less thing hurting? Wouldn't that be nice? Maybe I just can't tolerate the little bit of pain anymore. The Celebrex is helping. I've taken 3 doses so far and the pain is much better. I can at least stand from a sitting position without horrible pain.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

((((HUGS)))) I can relate. I am so sorry. Have you by chance tried the prescription lioderm patches? Sometimes they are effective for me and other times they do not do anything. I have actually cut the patches and put them in multiple locations and they seem more effective.

Closed Thread