It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
(male)

mark76 HB User
Anyone have difficulty with getting brand-name oxycodone?

Every pharmacy I've gone to acts like it doesn't exist. At the pharmacy today, I asked them what generics they have if they don't have the brand. They said they only offer Mallinkfroft. If I recall correctly from this board, their products tend to not be very good. (Though I think for the 5 mg oxycodone tablets, it wouldn't be as huge a difference from the brand as the patch).

Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User
Re: Anyone have difficulty with getting brand-name oxycodone?

Last month I had to take the name brand because the pharmacy didn't have enough generics. I take 2-10mg. three times a day. The difference between name brand and generic was very noticeable. I have to go today for another months' supply. It will be interesting to see what they have this time.
Fred

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Well I went to fill my oxy script today. HMM they didn't have the generic.....again! I wanted to try the generic to see how they work compared to name brand. I know when I got the name brand last month it was quite a difference. So why don't they have the generics? Is a $40 dollar copay compared with $10 having something to do with it? I know that is why I would rather use the generic if they work good enough.
Fred

Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Hey Fred,
There is no one that makes generic Oxycontin as far as I know. Perdue won their lawsuit and all of the generic manufacturers had to stop making them. The pharmacies were still allowed to give all of the generics they had in stock but once that was gone then all that is left currently is NAME BRAND. Sorry for the news but I bet the relief is much better with the name brand.

brian

Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
If I recall correctly from this board, their products tend to not be very good. (Though I think for the 5 mg oxycodone tablets, it wouldn't be as huge a difference from the brand as the patch).
That's right....Generics can be up to 20% less of the active ingredient and still be approved by the FDA. Even though it's only a 5mg pill, it's still 20%....20% is 20%!

A tip....Try an independent pharmacy and ask if they'll "order" the med for you...Typically only takes 24 hours to get it in....Whatever they order each AM, they get the next day by noon....Usually. Some chains will special order as well. All you have to do is ask. They may make you drop off the script ahead of time if you haven't established a relationship with them.

BTW, I don't have any personal experiences with the brand you mention, but I've read on a number of sites where they are really bad.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Fred, I can tell you from experience, the brand is so much better than the generic. At least for me. I was prescribed brand in the beginning. Then my insurance wouldn't pay for brand. Then Purdue won their lawsuit, and I'm back on the brand.

I'm not going to say it lasts any longer than the generic. Just better pain coverage while it lasts. I now have to pay 4x more co-pay than before, but it's worth it, for me.

Take care, cmpgirl

I almost forgot....Mark, I have only had one instance of my pharm not having any oxy in stock, but they had already ordered it and it came in the next day. (Thank God)

Last edited by cmpgirl; 05-06-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added text

Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
(male)

mark76 HB User

I'll try having the pharmacy order the brand in advance. I think the confusion has been caused by the fact that my doctor writes "Oxycodone 5mg" on my prescripton, which is the generic name for the drug. I'm confused by the brand name, though. Is it OxyIR or Roxicodone?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

oxycodone is the generic name for percoset. As far as the manufacturer..well...I try to get Watson for the generic...the other brands do not seem to work .... So I do ask when I go to the pharmacy.

Sage

Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
Is it OxyIR or Roxicodone?
Both are brand names. You can also add M-Oxy, Eth-Oxydose & Oxyfast to the list, depending on whether it's liquid or pill form.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-07-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage48 View Post
oxycodone is the generic name for percoset. As far as the manufacturer..well...I try to get Watson for the generic...the other brands do not seem to work .... So I do ask when I go to the pharmacy.

Sage
Not quite.....
percocet is oxycodone with tylenol in it, as percodan is oxycodone with aspirin in it

Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Hey Eyes....
I take oxycodone 10/325..the 325 is the tylenol!!!! The Dr. orders percoset...and the pharmacy fills it as oxycodone....generic...as my ins. company requires the generic if it is available...soooooo I hope I am getting what is ordered!!!

Sage

Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
Hey Fred,
There is no one that makes generic Oxycontin as far as I know. Perdue won their lawsuit and all of the generic manufacturers had to stop making them. The pharmacies were still allowed to give all of the generics they had in stock but once that was gone then all that is left currently is NAME BRAND. Sorry for the news but I bet the relief is much better with the name brand.

brian
Thanks Brian, I guess that makes the decision to go strickley name brand pretty easy. I don't like paying the extra $30 per month but there are those on this board who pay more than I so I should shut up.
Fred

Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Hey Eyes....
I take oxycodone 10/325..the 325 is the tylenol!!!! The Dr. orders percoset...and the pharmacy fills it as oxycodone....generic...as my ins. company requires the generic if it is available...soooooo I hope I am getting what is ordered!!!Sage
sage:
oxycodone 10/325 is the generic for Percocet 10/325. hope this clears things up. You ARE NOT GETTING GENERIC OXYCONTIN, just to let you know. I am sure you are aware of this, just pointing it out.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 05-08-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

Quote:
Hey Eyes....
I take oxycodone 10/325..the 325 is the tylenol!!!! The Dr. orders percoset...and the pharmacy fills it as oxycodone....generic...as my ins. company requires the generic if it is available...soooooo I hope I am getting what is ordered!!!

Sage
yes, you are getting oxycodone, with tylenol. That's what Percocets are, as a generic.

I take oxycodone without tylenol. Since I was taking percocets for such a long time, the doc decided too much tylenol was not good.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I am in Australia if you didn't realise it, and anyhow I got my script for Endone which is the brand name for 5mg Oxycodone hydrochloride tablets, which are made in the UK. They are the short acting (or breakthrough med you speak of) I have had to use when the long acting is not enough. I had to ring 4 Pharmacies and visit a fifth to have my script filled. Apparently there is a problem with supply that could be for some time, so I was told by one of the pharmacists. But I am not sure why. I don't know what else they can prescribe but I'm sure there are a few worried people here.
I don't know how much it costs elsewhere in the world for peoples medication, but we are very lucky here in Australia. When a drug is passed by a drugs administration department and is widely needed across the country, it is subsidised by the government. If you have a health care card (unemployed, low income or on a pension) each script cost $5, though if you want the brand name it might be a little more if the cheaper one is available. And if you are a pensioner, after 50 scripts the rest of the year is free.
I don't want to upset anyone but I feel very lucky to live in this country.

Closed Thread