It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
(male)

niap HB User
pain med with muscle relaxer

Does anyone take a muscle relaxer along with their la and bt pain meds....If so what med works well with oxycontin and percocet. I know everyone is different but my back gets so tight at night so my pm doctor wants me to take zanaflex 4mg at night along with my oxycontin, percocet, and mobic everyday. Please any comments would help. Thanks,

niap

Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: pain med with muscle relaxer

I take pretty much the same pain meds as you, and I take Soma also. It is the only MR that has worked well for me over the years, but I have taken most of the others as well at one time or another. I'd say Zanaflex worked second best to the Soma.

The Soma is very sedating for most people and was for me in the beginning, but I don't work anymore, so it's not as much of an issue for me.

I don't take anti-inflams on a daily basis anymore, but they don't interact badly or anything. A narcotic + anti-inflam + Muscle relaxer is what a lot of neuro's refer to as the "bad back cocktail".

Hope this helps. take care, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
(male)

Lou1 HB User

Hello,
I am also prescribed Zanaflex along with my narcotic. I was taking oxycontin until last month, but was having such a terrible time with side effects (severe unrelenting nausea, chills and sweats) that my doctor switched me to Opana. I still have the unpleasant side effects, but they are abit less intense than with the oxycontin... I think I may have to step down a notch in the doseage and see if the side effects alleviate. I currently take Opana ER 40 mg 2 x daily and Opana IR 5mg up to 3 x daily for breakthru.
I was on the zanaflex capsules, but this is not available in generic and is very expensive. This month, the doc prescribed the 4mg tablets so I could get generic. The doc said that he usually prescribes the capsules becausethe tablets are much more sedating. I have not found that to be a problem so far. I like the zanaflex..it works quite well.
I used to be on Soma, but that is a very addicting muscle relaxer. I had a rough time getting off those with a taper. The Soma actually gave me worse withdrawal symptoms that I experienced with hydrocodone a year ago when I attempted to get off all narcotics to evaluate how my "real" pain levels were without the drugs....needless to say, I was in absolute agony and ended back on the narcotics, this time going to a LA vs the shorter darvocet / hydrocodone route.
Lou

Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey niap,
I take the 4mg Zanaflex with my Oxycontin also. I have also used Soma, which was more effective but also more sedating.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hi niap:

I'm not on oxycontin, I take Kadian and Percocet.

My MR is Robaxin 750mg. I was changed a couple of months ago because the muscle spasams would wake me out of a dead sleep. The 4mg Zanaflex wouldn't cut the pain, and I was not getting much more than 1 or 2 hours of sleep at a time. For me, when I wake up after 3 am, I'm done...up for the rest of the day. That (in addition to my busy class schedule) in turn, led to near exahustion.

The Robaxin for the most part helps tremendously. The muscle spasams are continuous. Not sure why!! But they hurt like heck, and at least Robaxin helps me to be able to sleep at night.

I will go back to taking it three times a day soon. I will be getting out for the summer soon, so I will be able to live with the side effect of the drowsiness it causes. During the semester, I can't take it 3X/day, and still be able to teach full days, and night classes too. I'm anxious to see what and how the Robaxin, when taken as it's been prescribed for me will do to ease the spasams. I'm looking so forward to a much needed summer break.

Good luck with finding the MR that fits for you.

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 05-07-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I take the soma but split it in 1/2 and it is less sedating.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
(male)

niap HB User

I have been given all kinds of mr including robaxin -soma- skelaxin-flexeril-and zanaflex. I think zanaflex is the best although somas are just as powerfull , they are very addicting. flexeril worked great also but in the morning I was very groggy! Zanaflex is working great with my pain meds.I think I have found the right combonation with meds for my pain managment...Hurray

niap

Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

I take robaxin a lot and flexeril as well as slexin. My Dr has no problems giving these to me and you will find that most Dr's would prefer to give you muscle relaxers than pain meds. They are not nearly as fearful giving these vs narcotics so it should not be a problem to obtain them like pain meds are.

SS

Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: pain med with muscle relaxer

I take 30 mg. Oxycontin, Percocet (BT) and have just changed over to 4 mg. of zanaflex and have not been as happy as I am, now that I traded zanaflex for the flexeril that I have been taking. Not only did it make me drowsy in the AM, but I did not get the relief from the spasms. The first week I started the zanaflex, I felt the relief from the spasms, esspecially at night. Also, it does not make me drowsy, so I can take it 3 times a day.

Lorie

Closed Thread