It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
From Conductor

Dear...Everyone,

As many of you know, I have had a really horrific time over the last few weeks. BUT, you--my particularly special family--really helped. I still have some items of concern, but I know that I can make it through prayer--both mine and yours.

If you want to get into specifics, pray specifically for the right side of my head where I fell, cracked my skull, and bled out my ear on June 1, 2007. That is a date that will certainly live in infamy for me. That exactly is where I am having some pain of concern. Yes, yes, yes...My doctor has me scheduled for every test known for man (and perhaps a few for a veterinarian to perform). It was never discovered whether I bled first, which caused me to pass out and crack my skull. Or, did I have a bleed that caused me to pass out, THEN bleed out my right ear? Nonetheless, I've been having severe headaches on that side. I'm used to headaches--because, in High School, I started having TRUE migraine headaches (yet another soapbox of mine, since people misuse this term over and over--a "migraine" does NOT simply mean a really BAD headache). Sorry...my will just couldn't pass it up. Hold me to my word here: I will try to clean up my attitude--even though it won't happen overnight!

No matter what, I just cannot express enough thankfulness to my complete family--both blood relatives and you guys!! Thank you. While I hope it isn't inappropriate to say...I truly love and thank you all!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Last edited by conductor; 05-06-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Clarifications of a frightening amount of errors!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: From Conductor

Hey Jon....Hope you feel better. I feel your pain....Literally! I suffer from severe headaches, migraines, head trauma....The whole 9 yards. I've had a couple head and sinus surgeries gone bad....Lots of trauma....So, I know what you're dealing with. I don't mean to minimize other types of pain, but when one's head hurts, you're incapacitated....At least I am!

Good luck.

Ex

Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Jon, I hope you know, as always, I am here for you. I am one of the people who does understand a true migraine. I've had them on and off, in spurts, for many years and unfortunately am at a period of my life, where they have returned. Not all of the time, but at least for a few days each month. I think Ex put it perfectly. There is no pain, quite like head pain. It is so much at the forefront, so to speak, that there is little you can do to ignore it, or be distracted from it. My chronic pain is different, and definitely debilitating, but it is always made so much worse, come migraine time.

I am sending you good thoughts and you are most sincerely in my every prayer. I hope things improve sooner rather than later. If you need anything that I can provide (under limitation of cyberspace) please let me know.

And about the "inappropriate" thing......Right back atchya! Gentle Hugs and God Bless, cmpgirl

Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
(female)

parapluie HB User

I just wanted to post to say I hope you feel better soon. I don't get migraines on a regular basis, but one of the surgeries I had involved draining all the cerebral spinal fluid out and that caused a temporary and non-recurring migraine. The one and only I've ever had. I have no idea how anyone deals with getting them on a regular basis but I too get annoyed when people call a bad headache a migraine. My boyfriend gets migraines every once in awhile and I think that he put it best when he once said "When the key to your central nervous system is going haywire, the pain is limitless."

I hope things improve for you soon.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Jon:

I too feel your pain!! Literally. Having been diagnosed with Chronic Migraines since the age of 7. My entire family has them. I've passed the curse on to my daughter. For me, what has given me some semblance of my life back is Topamax.

I also take a Beta Blocker (tenormin), Paxil 20mg, and 75mg of Topamax twice a day. The Topamax is fairly low, but for me I've reached my max dosage before I start having the negative side effects like stopping at green lights, walking into doors and forgetting my name. I tried Neurontin, and Lyrica with MUCH worse side effects and just couldn't tolerate those meds.

I was part of a study at Emery Univ. because my entire family has migranes, but we all have different triggers. This was many years ago. My trigger happens to be barometric pressure, not so great when you live in Hurricane country, (think ground zero for Camille '69 and Katrina '05) and have constant atmospheric storms! But I'm tons better than before starting the Topamax. I've lost now, 112 pounds due to the side effect of weight loss. Believe me it was much needed.

I will pray for you Jon. We're all in a bad place right now health wise. I said in another thread that April was not a good month, and May doesn't seem to be shaping up much better.

Big Hugs,
~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Jon,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time of suffering. This certainly has been a bad month of many of us and I pray that the remainder of the month only gets better pain wise for us all.

Take care,
Pepper

Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Jon,

I know it's so hard when the cause of a condition is unknown. Especially when it comes to bleeding from the head and head pain.

I've had migraines since I was a teenager. I used to hate weekends because come Saturday morning I was guaranteed to be in pain. Then in my 30's they went chronic. I get 12 Imitrex subcutaneous injections prescribed each month, and they are a Godsend.

I hope they get these issues resolved soon so you can get some real relief. I have one idea to offer. My GP referred me to a local Chiropractor a few years back. I thought it so strange for an MD to recommend a Chiropractor that I really paid attention. So I went. Well, this Chiropractor had a device, not unlike a tuning fork, that he applied to my face, behind my jaw and in front of my ear. Apparently there's a nerve or something there that, when triggered, returns to a more healthy state and can dramatically limit migraines. He treated me a couple of times and I went from Chronic daily migraines to roughly 6-8 per month. It wasn't a total solution but the difference it made in my life was dramatic. And now, with Imitrex, any migraines I do get I can treat effectively.

steve

Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Hey Jon, I can't say I know how you feel because ,thank God, I've never had a migraine. I've had some real bad headaches but I'm sure they were not migraine. I do hope and pray you will find the answers you so need to find.
Fred

Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

To Everyone who's posted so far (and to those who have donated their time by remembering me):

I can hardly believe that such kind and generous people, like you all, exist! Thank you for your love, kindness, and support.

As most CP'ers know, there are so many people who simply don't get it!! Or...they truly DO NOT BELIEVE that pain of this INTENSITY exists. Unfortunately, many of these people are the professionals we see. The "hunt" for compassionate and appropriate care can be long and exhausting--BUT THE CARE IS THERE. We must always believe that, or we will go nuts (worse than I am already, of course!)!

I am so fortunate when it comes to my D.O. and my Pharmacist. After my skull fracture in June of 1997, I was finally able to drive myself to the pharmacy by myself in February of 1998. It had been many months since I had been able to go anywhere! My pharmacist--his name is Burney--came around the counter and hugged me outright. Several of the staff members did, too! I've threatened my doctor and pharmacist both--they are not allowed to retire or move!

Now...I don't mean to sound sickeningly sweet, but I just love you guys for your support. As my head starts to feel better, I hope to offer the same kind of help you all have given me. We probably don't have the vaguest concepts of how our love, prayer, and overall support for each other affect our well-being!

Finally, I want you all to know that my prayer list is lengthy, too! The screen names (and some first names) of practically all regular "posters" to this particular board are there with a description of their specifics. Plus, chronic pain affects the entire family's function and duties! So, the families and friends of CP'ers need comfort, as well.

I'll close. Please accept my sincere gratitude, love, and return support!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

P.S. Steve, I'm shocked--too--about a doctor recommending a Chiropractor. I'm not used to situations working in that direction!

Last edited by conductor; 05-07-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Desperate need for editing!

Closed Thread