It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Question Can someone explain what this means????

Hello,

I just picked up the written report of my diskogram and there are a few things that I do not understand. So if anyone can explain that would be great.

This is not verbatum...
C 3-4: There does appear to be left posterior paramedian and uncovertebral annular tear with associated disc bulge/uncovertebral arthropathy.

C 4-5: There does appear to be posterior annual tear which apears to include the left and right uncovertebral regions with disc bulging and uncovertebral arthropathy.

C 5-6:Left Paramedian uncovertebral annular tear with accompanying disc bulging and uncovertebral arthropathy.

C 6-7: There appears to be some left uncovertebral annular fissuring.

My Questions are:

1.) what does paramedian mean? (around the midline?)

I know what the disc is made of and know about anulus and the nucleous pulposus.

2.) What does it mean when there is an annular tear?
3.) What does it mean when ther is fissuring? Does that mean it is about to tear?

There where alot of other things stated in the report about my cervical spine and DDD, and that the bulges were moderatley severe, but there is no cord contact at this time. I just picked out the things that I did not understand.

If anybody can translate I have open ears. I am going to have to get out my old text book and do a lottle reasearch.
Thanks Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 05-07-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

arkia HB User
Re: Can someone explain what this means????

I believe I may be able to answer your questions....I have been a medical transcriptionist for 15 years and these words are my specialty!

1. Paramedian does, indeed, mean near the midline or middle.
2. Annular tear means that there is a tear in the annulus or sheath surrounding the vertebral "fluid" causing the fluid to leak and cause your bulges/herniations.
3. Fissuring is a communication or tunneling between, in your case, the uncinate process (uncovertebral) and annulus.

In a nutshell each of your neck vertebrae have bulging/herniation....although it does not mention C1-2. Luckily, at least from what you have stated, there is no mention of there being impingement on the spinal canal or nerve roots which would be causing you variable amounts of pain, numbness, tingling, deep aching, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Chrissy, I think with all you've had going on, your body is just in a constant state of alert right now. You've had several procedures and tests and you've also had school, the convention, etc. going on.

It takes time for all of the nerves and muscles and even the joints to settle down, when they've been poked and prodded and over-worked.

I think that as soon as school is done, you need to give yourself and your body a much needed vacation and rest. I mean a "real" rest. Not just a temporary break, in between things. I think you have some residual pain that is only going to be aleviated by real rest and self care.

I can't help interpret the test results for you, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and I'm glad you are keeping us updated. I wonder how you're doing when you are busy and off the boards. I know you can't help it, with everything that's been happening, but I'm glad to get the chance to tell you I care and that I'm here for you.

Take as much time as you can for yourself right now. I know schools not over yet, but it's not too far off. Take care and God Bless, cmpgirl

(((((Chrissy))))))

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey hon. what you do have could very well be casuing ALOT of pain for you. the foramin stenosis(which appears to be at multi levels too) can be very painful depending upon just where it is and if it is constantly even just irritating the nerve roots hon. combine these results with what you just had done,and this could explain ALOT of why you still feel the way you do and right after your surgery symptoms too. alot of what you have going on just causes inflammation which in turn really angers the nerve roots which in turn will casue signals to be sent out to other areas,including the muslces,which would cause contraction of them and any tissue surrounding them,thus,trigger points of wadded up radiating type pain. right now,i have TPs in places i NEVER had them before this rotator cuff surgery,and just from the spinal cord surgery,it already was casuing part of my biggest pain process. these just keep generating over and over since the source of the inflammation is just there. TPs alone can cause their own type of hell,believe me.

you also have other issues as well. things do not have to be actually touching your cord area or even indenting the thecal sac in order to produce some pretty severe levels of pain. what it all basically comes down to is just what IS actually affecting nerve and casuing inflammation and irritation in the spinal areas. it does sound like your surgeon didn;t do such a great job in clearing some of your ongoing issues(or it could be it just was not really accessable from the way he went in). if he had alot to do in there it may have been just left with him hitting the worst areas first. i had the same level of actual stenosis left in my c7 nevre root area that i did going IN to the dang surgery the first time around. he spent alot of time on other things and the time frame was getting way over so things got left undone.

you DO most definitely need to have another consult with your NS about these latest reaults and what needs to be done hon. i too have an annular tear in one of my low back discs. it has not become symptomatic yet but i think that is only because i am not 'doing' anything anymore or it would have. but having this up in your c spine would be a bit different than in the lumbar. you just really need to find out what you are really dealing with and any possible treatment options from your actual surgeon at this point. him actually seeing your hard films will make a big difference in what 'he' feels about your situation too. the rad read you obtain from any place that actually does the MRI,is simply HIS or her interpretation of what they actually see(or don;t even pick up on),and that alone would depend upon alot of factors like overall experience and knowledge. believe me chrissy,i have had 16 MRIs since 01 with some really excellent reads about everything i have wrong up in my c and t spine,and others that completley missed things that were once in other actual reports done previously and confirmed by my NS too. this is why it is so important to get your actual surgeons take on things from HIS level of knowledge and experience. most really good,experienced surgeons wont even possibly even look at the rad report but make their own Dx based upon what "they' feel are your worst or most pertinent issues.

just wait til you actually find out from YOUR surgeon about this and see what he recommends you do here hon. that is where you will really find out the skinny on his ideas/impressions. i know you have been thru absolute hell with this whole thing hon,and i really do feel for ya,i have been down this road with my own c spine crap. hopefully things are not as bad as you may think and this can be repaired,or the worst parts with a simple surgical intervention of some kind. just don't read anything into that report hon, see your NS and find out what he actually sees and what he feels about the films.

just try and take as much possible time for yourself to just simply relax and not keep pushing yourself to do unrealistic things. i know thats a hard thing to do espescially right now,but you DO have to place your overall health first in this or you will not be ABLE to really even DO the other things,you know what i mean? sammy and i are kind of in this same situation with our recovery process altho she is having alot more ongoing problems than i am. she keeps 'sneaking' work in which is setting her back some. she knows this so i am not telling you anything that she has not already said. sometimes it is just unavoidable. you just have to take care now to avoid the longer road if things don;t go right. its just very hard to have to keep putting your actual life on hold all the time. you have been on my mind chrissy despite me not being always able to get to your posts. i really do hope something can be done to get you healthy and back on track here soon. you DO deserve some peace. just try and take it easy on yourself,K? please keep us posted hon,marcia

Old 05-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Chrissy:
I second the opinion about you REALLY, REALLY TAKING A BREAK AND RESTING. After this semester is over you really need to do this. You also need to realize that any procedure that is sticking or poking needles into your spine, discs, etc is going to cause more pain after the procedure and sometimes this can last for several days to a couple of weeks. Hopefully things start to calm down but unfortunately when you start poking around nerves, those little things get ****** off and retaliate on you. I really think that you need to have a much needed increase in your meds, especially anything that controls nerve pain(like your Cymbalta). You have been in bad pain for way too long and it really starts to take its toll on you physically, mentally and emotionally. The first thing you MUST do is get the pain under control as much as possible. The next thing is to REST as much as possible and take it EXTREMELY EASY after school is over. You must put yourself first and do what must be done to get better. Please consider going on a LA medication to control the pain better. I have not been doing so good lately but I have been thinking about you. I will continue to pray for you.

brian

p.s. my sponsor just had those 3 injections that you had done recently(the name is slipping my mind at the moment). Now he just had his first steriod epidural 2 days ago and things are NO BETTER than they were before all of the injections. He has been very depressed and is losing hope. I am trying to be there for him too and it is hard. I hate to see people in pain and even worse if it is me.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

You are all very right about the "rest period" I have been trying my best at this time to really decrease my activity level. I have not been walking for exercise, only down to the little lake witch takes less than a min. I just sit down there and watch the birds. I have not been out to many meetings and I have only done the bare minimum of shopping. I have made a point to get more food at a time so I can go out less. Of course I go to school.

As soon as school is over next week I am going to make a point to really take it easy. I would like to go to my parents place but I decided to wait until after the 23 of may so I can go to some meetings berfore hand.

Feelbad, I will be seeing the Neuro on May 23 and at that time I will here what he has to say about the diskogram. I am working on focusing on what is in front of me rather than all the "what if's " because when I do that it stresses me out.

I actually slept in today until 6 am. That is pretty good for me who gets up before the SUN!!!

I am still wondering what happens when you have torn discs or fissures in your discs????

Does this mean the fluid is leaking out?

What can be done about it?

I guess that I will make those wuestions the first ones on the list for the Neuro's office.

Please is anyone can help with those questions...have at it...

Chrissy

Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy, You are going to have your surgeon sum all of this up for you, correct? I would like to know what it all means for you. Thank goddness for Marcia she somwhat explains abit. We have to be careful, she may start charging us, well me anyway (ha).
All right you & I are just very bad patients, lets face it. We can be our own worst enemies here. We may have have someone lock us in our homes or something. I do think you are taking on abit much. I don't even know how you are doing it! Of course I am better at handing out advice when I should take my own advice. I am trying & I have promised myself I will do it, for me. So I can hopefully someday have a more painfree life. I am planning a vaction as an incentive. If I can feel better I can go & see my family in the sunshine state. We will have to do it my friend. Please let us know when you speak to your doctor/surgeon on those test results. Sammy

Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
(female)

arkia HB User

Karen - I responded to your other thread so as not to hijack Chrissy's.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Hey Sammy,

Yes I will be seeing the PM on Monday, and the Neuro on the 23 of May.

You know I just do not know what the heck to think about it anymore!

I just try to make it through one day!

You know if you look at the whole big picture of the activities I do, it may sound like alot, but it really is not.

I am home 90% of every day. On the days I am not home all day, I am in school which will end on Thursday.
When I am at home I do as little as possible. I am usually either on my bed, or in the big soft chair in th eliving room. It is a rare occasion for me to go out with friends. My actiivties include life stuff like shopping for food etc.

The onloy other things I do are my recovery meeting whci I have been unable to do alot of lately. I have not even been walking lately because I am afraid to flare myself up.

I admit taking on the convention thing, but I took that committment on in May of 2007 and had no idea I would be in the position I was in at the time of the convention this year.

They just nominated people for the next one and I declined all positions I was nominated for. Kind of sad really. I love to do service work in recovery.

The fact is....I barely do anything anymore! Tears come to my eyes when thinking about it.

Someday I WILL better than I am at this moment, but I really do not know how much longer I can stand it...!!!

My Mom and I are planning our annual fishing trip for this year and I am sure that even that could be up in the air. We are making the plans but in all honesty we may need to cancel them if one or both of us is physically not up to it.
She got the MRI report back and it says she has 3 bulging dics in her lower spine L5 S1 etc. The two of us make quite a pair.

My plans for this summer are to take it really easy. Read alot of books and lay by the pool ya know. I am hoping the pool wont be to much for me. Swimming laps may not be good for my neck but treading water is good.

I just feel lost and disoriented... like I just do not know what to do with myself anymore.
I will have to take a very important test next spring that is part of applying to the nursing program. I plan on doing some studying over the summer for that to keep me accademical;y engaged.

At this point I really cant seem to think of any other ways to decrease my activites. I feel like I am resting and doing nothing all the time.

Any way...I still have hope.

Brian if you read this how are you doing? Let me know...
Chrissy

Old 05-11-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I do feel for you Chrissy, but I really do not even know how the heck you are making it with school. Of course we can't just give up doing anything at all, then we will be depressed. I hope with all my heart this test shows what the heck is going on & they can give you a more pain free life. It can feel like we are walking a tight rope at times never knowing. Don't you worry your time will come, you deserve it. Have faith. I will be wait ing to hear what your doctors have to say. In the mean time know how much you are cared for. Sammy

Old 05-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Sammy,

Thanks so much for sticking with me all this time and being apart of my support.
To be honest I really do not know how I made it through the two days a week of class. Maybe I did push myself in that respect but if I would have dropped out I think I may have really went over the edge into a deep depression!
As you already know I had put off applying to the nursing program and to have dropped the class because of my neck!...Well I think I would have felt really down and sad...like I was loosing my dream....Ya know?

I posted in the spinal cord area and NP responded to a question about the tears in my discs. Go and check it out if you like!
She stated tha sometimes the tears and fissures can heal on their own after a few years. Well I just dont know if I can take this for that long, but It will come down to what the doc suggests that I do.

I am quite concerned and a bit afraid, but I am working through it as best I can.

Today I am feeling crappy and I will be staying home all day and laying around. I will be taking the final exam on either Wed. or Thurs depending when the teacher has the exam ready. So I will be preparing for that today while I lay around....
Chrissy

Closed Thread