It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

art66 HB User
duragesic patch

Can someone please tell me how long the duragesic patches stay in your system? (75 microgram)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: duragesic patch

Art,

Welcome to the Pain Management board.

We have another member here who goes by the name Executor who is the expert on these patches but maybe I can help a little.

The prescribing information says the patch is intended to last for 72 hours. From experience, many of us learned that it's more like 48 hours. When I was on the patch I replaced it every 48 hours.

As far as the scientific data on blood plasma contents and such, you can look to the prescribing info included in the packaging to see what the manufacturer says about how long until it reaches a steady state and how long until it is totally out of your system.

Hope this helps.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: duragesic patch

Hello Art...Welcome to the boards! Thanks Steve for the props! I would suggest a search on the board as we've had a lot of threads on the patch recently, and there is some great info contained within. I will help any way I can.

The patch begins to measurably hit your system around 10-12 hours after application. It releases a very precise amt of med every hour, 24 hours per day. Your blood plasma level (BPL) will continue to rise slowly over the first couple of patch changes. Peak BPL is usually obtained around the 7-10 day mark, and stays constant onward.

Depending on your pain, activity level & metabolism, you may find that the patch doesn't last a full 72 hours, especially in the heat. The patient prescribing information says that some patients may need to move to a every 48 hr schedule. However, this may not be the case initially....Many patients do just fine on a 72 hr schedule and as tolerance grows, they move to a 48 schedule. I mention the heat because excess heat causes the patch to release the med quicker than anticipated....Stay away from hot bathes, showers, heating blankets, & etc. Also, working outside, or exercising can cause an increase in body temp., which then effects the patch.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the source of your pain? Also, were you on long acting meds previously, or is this your first experience? Lastly, what other pain meds were you taking previously? The reason I'm asking these questions is because the patch is a VERY POWERFUL med...And is CLEARLY indicated for opioid tolerant patients only. Almost all patients start on the 25....If the 75 patch is your starting point, please watch yourself carefully and make sure someone close to you checks on you.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Ex

Closed Thread