It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
(male)

niap HB User
urine tests

I know that when we signed our contract they said that a ua test can be done at any time. Has anyone had a test yet? Are they given only when there is suspition? Im not worried one bit I was just curious in how the process works. Let me know people,

niap

Old 05-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
(male)

JoJo921 HB User
Re: urine tests

I can only give you my experience so here it is.....My pm doc gives ua's randomly and although I have not yet been asked to give one I'm sure at one point I will. I would also think that if someone is showing signs of addiction (running out of meds or stating they were stolen repeatedly) this too would give a doc reason to want to have someone give a ua. Once you sign a contract for an opiate treatment plan you give your doctor permission to excersise any of the rules included within that contract at any given time. Hope this helps. JoJo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
(male)

mark76 HB User

What if you never signed such a contract? Do pain doctor still typically give urine tests?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I have not had any urine tests to date. For one doctor I had to sign a contract and for the second doctor I have not signed any type of contract.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo921 View Post
I can only give you my experience so here it is.....My pm doc gives ua's randomly and although I have not yet been asked to give one I'm sure at one point I will. I would also think that if someone is showing signs of addiction (running out of meds or stating they were stolen repeatedly) this too would give a doc reason to want to have someone give a ua. Once you sign a contract for an opiate treatment plan you give your doctor permission to excersise any of the rules included within that contract at any given time. Hope this helps. JoJo
Very well said.....I think you are right on point.

Ex

Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

My new doctor tests all his CP patients, I think he said he requires twice a year. I had my first one last month. It was no big deal, I just peed in a cup they gave me, and handed it to the nurse.

They didnt say anything one way or another, I am not sure if they do the testing right then and there or if they send it out. I dont expect there to be any problems, so I doubt I will hear anything, If he mentions it at the next appoinment, I will let you know what he said.

HTH, Fabby

Old 05-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Tested as a new pateint, signed a conrtract and I can count on the group of docs to flag me for a random when it's been a year since the last, so I've done one every year since 2001 not to mention at the beginning of all 3 intensive PM clinics that required an 8 hour a day, 5 days a week for a month commitment if someone wanted help Learning to deal with chronic disabling intracatable pain PM isn't isn't learned by simply reading a prescription leaflet for the meds we feel the need to request because or poor docs just aren't smart enough to use without our research and suggestions.

There really isn't much to discuss or debate if you need these med to function or too have any quality of life, You do whatever is asked whether it's bring meds for pill counts, doing UA's or having to be seen each and every month becuse that's what the dea wanted for the past 2 years. Now were back to 3 month supplies, not post dated but with fill on or after dates.

Nobody is exempt at my practie, from the 90 year old lady, the 60 year old in the wheel chair or the poster boy for IT Pumps "That's me" , My docs practice has a monthly pier review of every single case and when it's been a year since the last UA, everyone gets tetsted and they use Ameritox who has the capabilty and runs GC-MS. Being asked or not asked isn't a sign of being trusted, If anything I would think my docs practice wants lots proof of his efforts to prevent diversion to be well documented. The pateient he trusts the most are sure things for his stats so it nly makes sense to include those long term, neverhad cause to test patients. without any type of favortism his group can say we test them all not just the ones we are concerned about or the ones we know willprovide the results we need to show compliance. If someone is a great patient,. never creates waves, I would think he would want the DEA to se I'm still tested every month, I still have a case revue every month and an extended consult every 6 months to review my treatment plan. No it's not conveinant, but Im not one that only participates if it's conveinant and doesn't ofend my sense of privavacy. If this is what it takes to get proper treatment, what is there to complain about? I've never called and just picked up a script, . It's not like I can sell the drugs in my pump or can take extra, and yet I can count on beng tested at any point once I've gone a year without.
It'sd no an insult to be tested , or a compliment not to have been. It's what it takes to manage my opain

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
I am not sure if they do the testing right then and there or if they send it out. I dont expect there to be any problems, so I doubt I will hear anything, If he mentions it at the next appoinment, I will let you know what he said.
They more than likely send it out....They get a comprehensive report back documenting everything. The testing is fairly sophisticated today...It breaks everything down by class of drug, not group....Hydro, Oxy, fent, & etc.

Ex

Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
(male)

niap HB User

Thanx for all the feedback.....

niap

Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

I wanted to kind of echo what Dave said and make the comment that I was not offended in the least.

The doctor was finishing up my scripts, and he just said 'have we done a UA on you yet? I like to get 2 a year on my cp patients and I dont see that we've had one from you yet' I said no, they had drawn blood but no UAs and I would be happy to do any test he wanted, and he said he wasnt worried about anything, it was just routine.

I think it is probably much easier on doctors who do it the way mine does, than one where everyone knows it is not routine, and they must have set off some kind of alarm bell or red flag or they wouldnt be tested. The way my doctor does it avoids hurt feelings and loud protests, because its not personal, just a thing that has to be done, like the liver panels that need to be checked for colesterol every time you need a refill on a statin drug like lipitor.

HTH, Fabby

Old 05-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

I agree Fabby....I'm not offended to say the least...Humbled, but not offended.

As I've preached before, I think a blood test should be required @ every visit....After the nurse checks one's vitals, weighs the patient, & etc., they could draw a quick vial of blood. This would certainly weed out lots of abusers and diverters....Maybe not all, but many! I would welcome this type of rigor because I don't want my health care and access to meds jeopardized due to illicit behavior. Drawing blood @ each visit would take only an extra minute or two.

I realize my opinion may be on the radical side, but that's my .02.

Ex

Old 05-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I would much prefer a blood test to urine testing. I have enough trouble peein' as it is. Put me in a situation where I have to plan to have to go at the time of my appt and there I am showin' up with my legs crossed pleading for the cup. If they aren't ready for me when I get there then there's gonna be a problem. A blood test would be so much easier.

I don't mind it at all. If the doc wants it then it's hers. Simple as that. How much easier could it be? I want my doc to feel comfortable with my use of the meds, and if a test is all it takes I'm all for it. Then, if by testing me it helps her with the DEA, bring it on. Monthly if she wants it. Shoot, call me in at any time - just give me time to prep my bladder.

steve

Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

With the old PM Dr...who I had for almost 3 yrs....I signed a contract..and think that maybe I had one urine test at the very beginning of our relationship..also, got 3 month prescription......With the new PM Dr....I had to sign the contract...and do the UA...that was in Jan or Feb...when I went in last week to get my monthly prescription...I had to do a UA also.. I didn't worry about it...because I did nothing wrong. Just gave them what they wanted, then got my prescription.

Sage

Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

To be honest, I don't recall ever signing a contract and in the last 6 years or so that I've been in PM never a UA or blood test. I too have no problem with a blood test at each visit. If it would weed out the "problems" go for it!
Fred

Old 05-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
...I think it is probably much easier on doctors who do it the way mine does, than one where everyone knows it is not routine, and they must have set off some kind of alarm bell or red flag or they wouldnt be tested. The way my doctor does it avoids hurt feelings and loud protests, because its not personal, just a thing that has to be done...
At my doc's office you roll a pair of dice when signing in. Anyone throwing a pair gets a cup to fill. Simple as that. Nothing personal. Seems to work for everyone, as I haven't heard any complaints.

steve

Closed Thread