It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
(female)

Toolfan HB User
Angry Pancreas Pain

Hi. I am a 31 yr. old female who has Epliepsy since age 14. I was put on 1500 mg's. of Depakote. I was on it for 14 years and all of a sudden, my Pancreas became inflammed. I was throwing up all food and was in extreme pain. I was put on a strick zero fat diet for like a month until I could eat low-fat foods. While inflammed, I was fed Percocet like candy because there was nothing they could do to ease the pain. My Lypase and Amylase levels were checked weekly to see how I was doing and eventually it was in a normal range. I saw an endocrinologist and had the endoscopic test and they say the inflammation, but it was healed and that was that. I thought I was doing great. I could eat anything, but I was always aware to go easy on spices and things. I found out as soon as this happened, Depakote just had put a warning label out saying that anyone prescribed this drug could possibly develop Pancreatitas within the FIRST 2 or 3 WEEKS of taking it. WHAT THE HELL? I was on it for 14 freakin years! Now - more often than not, anything I eat hurts. Sometimes really bad and sometimes not. All I know is that I know it hasn't healed. I mean, the doctors told me I would die if I continued taking Depakote. I got off of it right away and began the whole pain in the neck process of finding another anti-seizure med. ****, that in itself is long going. It's a shame because Depakote worked like a charm for me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to pain management for this? Thank You for taking the time to read this.

toolfan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Pancreaes Pain

sorry you had to suffer with the pancreatitis, my son went thru that hell around age 12. it sucked. i am wondering if the depakote actually did work well for your seizures? my son was on it because we were told it was a mood stabilizer. he cannot take any SSRIs anymore becasue of a hidious reaction to prozac and others. it was a year from hell. my sons pancreatitis came from being in liver failure first. it just developed over time. when years later,after his liver transplant,they mentioned placing him onto the dep,i kind of freaked since there IS a huge black box warning about liver problems. but it was cleared by his GI doc who i do trust and he went on it with no liver or pancreas problems. i was not aware that the dep had the tendancy for developing pancreatitis til more recently either. we have him on seroquel now too,which is another med we have to watch his pancreatic enzymes for. he is also on trileptal? it is another anti seizure type med,it seems to be working for his depression along with the seroquel.

were they actually checking your liver labs every month while you were on the dep? they really are supposed to be doing very regular liver panels during treatment with dep. it actually has the tendency to affect the liver functions much more often than the pancreas. just wondering if they were actually checking that for you BEFORE the pancreas became inflammed? its just the two organs tend to kind of 'play off' each other in certain ways. were they also checking your amy and lipase during ongoing treatment or did they not do that til you actually presented with the pancreatitis?

i just wanted to mention to you something i do remember reading about in oxy based products? it can affect the pancreas too in certain ways. did you do okay when you were taking the percs before? it sounds like it from what you described here. as far as PM goes, are you having a constant or intermittant type of pain? that would kind of dictate what would just work best for your particular condition. you could always try a longer acting med alone and see how that manages your pain or also try LA with some level of break thru med for episodic panc pain that can flare up on you. i DO remember that. you just really need something if this is a more constant type of pain that will keep it better controlled so it WONT flare on you if that is part of your pain process at this point.

considering this condition can take a while in some people to actually calm down,seeing a real pain management type doc wouldn;t be out of the question for you. they would at least be able to help manage this for you til things got better and stayed that way. just some suggestions for you. i do hope this will get better for you soon. please keep me posted. Marcia

Closed Thread