It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Had a Reiki Session Yesterday

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to fill you in on my session yesterday. I had never had Reiki before, but my daughter, who works at a very historic hotel and spa in our area, gave me this session for Mother's Day.

The woman who performed this treatment on me is a liscenced massage therapist and Reiki Master. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical going in, but was pleasently surprised when it was done.

I did a little research, before the session and found that it was invented or discovered in Japan, and has been used for about 100 years, there, and all over the world. It's not a religion of any kind, but is very spiritually based. The translation of the name from Japanese to English, pretty much says it all. Rei, meaning "God's wisdom", and Ki, meaning "life force energy".

It isn't intended as a "cure" for anything, but as a support or supplement to other modalities. After all was said and done, I walked out of there, feeling better than I have in years. It was probably as close to the old, pain free me, as I've been in 8 years. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 4 or 5 hours. However, I have read that the more sessions you have, the better your chances for overall improvement. Which in my book, is no different than the theories of physical therapy, accupuncture, etc.

I'm not sure how much it cost, because my daughter paid for it, but I intend to find out, because I would like to do this on a more regular basis. I really was amazed that I felt that good.

So, I just thought I'd give everyone the scoop. Has anyone else had any experience with it? If so, I'd love to know what you think. Take care, and I wish everyone as pain free a day as possible. CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Had a Reiki Session Yesterday

Hey Cmpgirl...Sounds like a good experience. Can you give some basic specifics.....Such as how long did it last? What do they do, basically? Thxs.

Ex

Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Ex, I'd be glad to. It started out with the LMT explaining the ideal or philosophy of Reiki to me. She asked me if I was OK if she actually touched me, or if I preferred that she just keep her hands suspended over me. I was fine with the hands on version. (It is supposed to be as effective, either way) You do not have to disrobe, like a standard massage. You just need to wear comfortable clothes. Nothing restrictive like a belt.

Next, I got up on the table (standard massage table) and she had me start face down. When I was in a comfortable position, she began. It starts at the head and ends with the feet. Then you turn over, and it is repeated on the front of the body. She placed her hands, gently over my forhead and eyes and held the position for several minutes. From there, she moved to my neck, upper back and shoulder area, my rib cage, my abdomen, my lower thigh area and knees and finally, my ankles and feet. The amount of time spent in each area, and the amount of pressure, differs depending on the amount of relief and relaxation needed in each spot. There is no manipulation of any kind. Just a light, but firm laying on of hands, for lack of a better definition.

I was amazed that when she got to the areas where my pain is more intense and prevalent, she would actually comment about it and I really felt a slight tingling sensation and often, warmth. Not just because of the contact, but a true warming sensation, almost like that of a heating pad. In some places, I could really feel the tension leave my body. It was a little surprising.

She had soothing music playing in the background and she spoke very softly throughout the session. She explained at each phase, what she was "working on", for instance, when she got to my lower back, which is a very painful area for me, she talked about how this is our "center" or area of balance, and how important it is that we are "grounded" and "balanced" with the earth. This area treats our core muscles, our intestines, etc. And I have to say, I was having constipation issues the last few days, and last night......I was able to go, with no discomfort and a complete change in the density of my stool. (Sorry if that is TMI)

The other thing I noticed, was that the sinus headache, that I have had for a week straight (pollen) is gone! When I left, I actually felt almost pain free. And I swear, I have not felt that in 8 years! I really am a bit of a skeptic about these types of things, but I was amazed at how good I felt after this treatment. The whole thing took about an hour and 10 minutes. She said it depends on the person and their individual needs. But I am definitely planning to do this on a regular basis. It is believed that the window of relief, increases with more treatment.

Hope that explained things a little more. Any other questions, just let me know. I'll be glad to share what I can. Take care, CMP/MM

Sorry, I forgot that you asked how long it lasted....About 4 or 5 hours, but I have had some lasting relief with the sinuses and the bowel issues.

Last edited by cmpgirl; 05-12-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added text

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Wow!! That's great!
I've heard of Reiki before but didn't know much about it.
I'm glad it worked so well for you and hope that it's not too expensive.
I'm still hoping to pay off my medical bills so I can go to the acupuncturist.
I'm also interested in this treatment...heck, I'll try almost(almost) anything to help with my pain.
Keep us posted about further treatment and good luck.~Mush

Old 05-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

My wife's hospice nurse was a Reiki Master. One time I really messed my back up while I was trying to move her up in bed. He came in and said something about my back and asked if it was alright to touch me. Because my mind was on other things at the time, I was quite blunt with him and told him "no". Now after reading your post I wish I would have let him touch me.
Fred

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you for sharing this with us. It just goes to show that we need to explore other alternatives in addition to our pain regimen if you are not already.

I am glad you felt some relief.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I found out, at the spa where my daughter works, it is $85! ouch! But I checked out some independent practitioners who are about $50. So, I think I can afford maybe once a month. I just hope they are as good as the one who worked on me on Sunday.

I was thinking about it today and I actually realized that I felt a little sad later that day. After 8 years, I had forgotten how it feels to not have so much pain. After it "wore off", and the pain started coming back, I was kind of bummed. I was actually a little weepy. But when my daughter came home from work today, she said the woman who did my treatment asked her if I had cried. She said she sometimes has clients cry, right on the table, the first few times. So, I don't know if it was sadness over the pain coming back or the treatment itself.

Very interesting......But I'm going to keep it up as long as it continues to provide even temporary relief. If anyone else tries it, please let me know what you think. God Bless, CMP/MM

Fred...Ya know, it's not too late. I'm sure there must be Reiki practitioners in your area. And if it can help, why not? She said a lot of her clients have arthritis and get a lot of relief. Just a thought!

Last edited by cmpgirl; 05-13-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added PS

Old 05-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I have a very good friend who is a Feldenkrais practitioner. It's fairly complex, but it involves movement and awareness. AND, it involves hands-on therapy kinda like massage. No pain whatsoever. At the end of a session you can't help but feel fantastic. And my buddy was fully aware of my CP while he conducted the session.

steve

Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I took a look and checked out The Feldenkrais Method. Seems a little similar to yoga. There were a couple of places listed in my area that did both Reiki and Feldenkrais. Definitely worth checking out. I've tried Yoga before, but it was too high impact, to tell the truth. Sounds pitiful, huh? But this sounds a lot more gentle.

Thanks Steve....See how much we can learn when we actually try looking? I have been stuck in a rut, so to speak. It's time for me to try new things!

By the way, when is the work trip? Sorry if you said already, I have no short term memory these days.

God Bless

Old 05-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

cmpgirl,

No trip yet. In fact, I only mentioned that it may happen. There's training I must complete before beginning to chair this committee and it may be in the Virginia location I was referring to. It may also be here.

Feldenkrais comes in different flavors. At the time, I was having lots of muscle pain in my upper gluts down through the hamstring to almost the knee. It hurt so bad that when I got home from work I'd have the kids jump up and down on my backside to get relief. My buddy used the massage form of Feldenkrais and it was such a relief. I really didn't get into the exercise part of it, just massage. He's also a licensed massage therapist.

steve

Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

CMPGIRL,

It may sound wierd, but I have an aversion to being touched too much, thus don't really like typical massage therapy. From what you've described it doesn't sound like this contains any bare skin contact, is that correct?

Closed Thread