It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

chrisandylino HB User
Question Does any one get Hydrocodone compounded w/apap?

Is that normal to have my hydrocodone compounded with Apap in a capsul form and not a standard issue pill? I have never seen this, but I just got a new mg of hydrocodone 10/200 mgs. Anyone else familiar with this before I take it? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by chrisandylino; 05-12-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: Does any one get Hydrocodone compounded w/apap?

The reason it was in capsule form is because it was compounded or specially made for you. Because of the 200mg dose of APAP, the doc must have requested a lower dose of it for you. I do not believe standard hydrocodone comes in a dose with only 200mg of acetaminophen.

I'm no expert, but that is my best guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

chrisandylino HB User

thank you, that makes sense. I am only used to the "watson" brand stamped on it, now I got these capsules. I didnt know if I should be concerned or what? Thanks for the response and the reassurance. Chris

Old 05-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi!
I use a compound pharmacy for my hrdro...I get 15 mg Long acting and 10 short acting. NEITHER have ANYthing mixed with them, not even color. they dye makes me allergic, but you can get what ever you need with a CP.

What I dont understand is: Why would you get a script for compound meds, and not know that they are? And have the meds come to you, and you dont see it being normal, and not call your doctor?

My doc and I always discuss what strength, ect. for my meds. I guess I just dont understand that you would get a med given to you out of the bottle, and you didnt know what he/she was going to do.

Have you been going to a CP? [compound pharmacy] Do you get your meds sent to you? Is this the first time you've gotten your meds there?? Does your doc send them the script and you have no idea what he is prescribing until you get it?

Please, Im just trying to understand. If your doc switched you to what you are getting, I would have thought he/she would have told you about it. And Ive been using a CP for two years. I just would have thought your doc would have told you about the switch, and worked you though it...thats all.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-12-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

chrisandylino HB User

Yes, my doc did tell me that he recommended the 10 mgs of hydrocodone and 200 mgs of Apap. But I didnt realize that they came in a capsule and not the "watson" brand pill that Im used to. I did know that is would change, but didnt realize it would be a special compound. I am just checking that it is right and not "shady" that its compounded into a capsule and not the standard, AND its a new pharmacy. So, Im not very familiar with them. Hope that helps. Thank you...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Oh good, I see~ I hope it works for you. Im really happy with my compounded meds.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

chrisandylino,

This could turn out to be a very good thing for you.

Have you taken any yet? If so, how well did it handle the pain?

Because it's being compounded you may be getting the full 100% of the hydrocodone prescribed, as opposed to generics where it can vary quite a bit.

I wish I could afford to get my opioids compounded.

steve

Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I can DEFINATELY tell the diff between my compounded meds and regular.
My pure hydro works tons better. I wish you could get them compounded too Steve.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-13-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

200mg APAP has no analgesic activity - 650mg is the minimum dose that has any effect... so why bother with it at all?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

All of my compound meds are pure "med." Nothing else...why else get it compounded? Just my opinion~
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Izzys mom, thats what I thought - if the same thing is avaliable off the shelf, it would make sense to get it. Cheaper, and a tested formula made under quality assured conditions.

I notice a lot of US products use subtheraputic amounts of Acetaminophen (or paracetamol as we call it here)

In Australia, you generaly get 1000mg of paracetamol combined with 60mg of codeine as a moderatly strong painkiller, or a strong opoid (oxycodone, morphine, etc) straight, with no addatives.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejono View Post
200mg APAP has no analgesic activity - 650mg is the minimum dose that has any effect... so why bother with it at all?
Not only is the 200mg way below any therapeutic dose, but because you've built up some tolerance (which is very normal), the APAP probably has no value whatsoever. Thus, a complete waste, and in fact, can only harm you @ this point. As Izzy said, the whole reason for compounding is to eliminate the additives.

Good luck.

Ex

Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Didn't I read in a post a while back that the APAP somehow potentiates the effects of some opiates/opioids? Maybe it was something else.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

It does, in a way.... they releive pain in different ways, so APAP + opoid is somewhat more effectove than opoid alone... but for this to happen, you need to take an effective dose, say 650 - 1000mg

According to the Oxford Analgesic Leauge Charts, APAP 1000mg + Codeine 60mg (common midrange analgesic in Australia and the UK) is a lot stronger than either alone

Closed Thread