It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
From Conductor--At least you'll get a break from my ramblings!!

Dear Pain Management Members:

I am going up to Michigan with my folks until the middle of June--approximately. Our cottage doesn't have much in the way of technology, but I am interested in purchasing one of those laptops that allows a person to use a communication card to sign onto the internet and/or get his/her mail.

Because I am severely limited in my computer knowledge, I don't know where to begin with this. I don't leave until Wednesday (5-14-09) of this week. So, if you know what I should do--laptop computer speaking--let me know! That would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway...I wanted to let you know why I will be out of reach!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: From Conductor--At least you'll get a break from my ramblings!!

Jon, First let me say, that even though we will miss you, if you can't get to us for a few weeks, I am thrilled that you have the opportunity to get away with your family and relax. My husband and I have our usual visit to the Maine coast, in September and I almost don't want to think of it, so that I don't "wish my summer away".

I'm no computer expert. We have a decent, though basic, laptop and it is equipped with the appropriate hardware for wireless service and the wireless router that goes along with this capability. I'm sure a knowledgeable employee at one of the major electronics stores, could assist you in choosing one that suits your needs. I believe the type you are referring to is a different type of technology than a home wireless router. And I believe you need to be in an area where there is an appropriate signal for internet access.

In any case, please enjoy your vacation and I hope your pain is at it's minimum, for the duration of your stay. I envy you, having the opportunity so early in the summer season. Take good care. As always you are in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
(male)

chiefan58 HB User

Assuming there's no internet connection in the area, the card you'd be looking for would be offered by cellular companies. (my wife works for one) It would essentially be another cell phone. There are also many cell phones that can be used as a modem to connect to the internet. If this is a once a year type situation, you'd probably be better off just being off line for a week or two as you will need to sign a contract for your data card. If your cell phone is capable, you can just add on a data plan on to your account, and then remove it when you no longer need it. It may be better to get a new cell phone than the data card. I would suggest calling whichever cellular company you have. Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Jon,
even though I have lap tab also, I don't know much about technical side of it.
But I want to wish you a great time; weather will be great this time of the year, you will rest physically and mentally.

We'll definitelly miss you here, but June is almost here, so don't feel bad for leaving us.

Best wishes,
take care!!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Jon,

Do this - call your internet service provider and ask them what they have to offer. Also, see if they could provide it for short term only, with no extra contracts or anything. I bet they can hook you up, and since it would be with the ISP you're used to, no real changes to how you use the laptop.

steve

Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Jon, we have a funny little thing in Michigan, it's called a public library. They have computers with internet access you can use. I don't know about fees but it probably is pretty cheap.
Enjoy our great lake state. What part are you visiting, if I may ask.
Fred

Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Jon, I will say a prayer that the weather will improves while you are in our lovely state. We are really getting ripped off here, but it is pretty in the spring & I am sure you will enjoy your time away. I have heard of the card but not sure how you go about it. I would guess as said by the other poster something like a wireless company, or perhaps a place like best buy or circuit city, radio shack (ust guessing) could lead you in the right directiion. Good luck, Sammy

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
(female)

mshatch HB User

Hey Jon
Hope you have a wonderful time with you parents. Its always good to get back to our roots. Its good for the soul. Hope everything go's well for you. I always enjoy your ramblings......

mshatch

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

To "Everyone",

Thank you all for your advice, well-wishing, and your suggestions concerning the type of "hook-up" (that one didn't sound quite right, did it?) I need. I have not been using a laptop, which means I need to purchase one--along with the correct type of service--as you all have mentioned or otherwise suggested. Frankly, I've been a "desk top man" since the beginning! (That didn't come out right either, but you know what I mean--I'm sure.)

I'm writing this on Tuesday morning (the day before we leave), just in case you guys have additional suggestions. Man, oh man...Talk about going through withdrawals! (I should clearly emphasize that I'm NOT diminishing withdrawal symptoms of any type or any sort in any way because I am keenly aware of the fierce manifestations they include--a vicious, serious treatment of the body and the person's spirit that words cannot capture!)

I cannot imagine going nearly a month without signing onto Healthboards!! Is there a diagnosis code that my run-of-the-mill insurance would accept if I end up at the hospital for this "condition"? Of course, this kind of withdrawal doesn't equal true, "truer", and the "truest" withdrawal symptoms. Already, you can tell that the 'mere' writings of a person cannot capture the meaning!

Still, though, I will check this thread tomorrow morning (Wednesday, 03-13-08) around 8:00 AM to see if additional suggestions have been made.

To Arthr Itis and anyone else who cares, we have a "cottage" (for lack of a better word) located on (or in) the tip of the thumb of Michigan. The closest "big" town is Bad Axe, Michigan. It is between Port Austin and Caseville. This cottage has been in our family every since I can remember. In fact, my Grandpa (with a well-deserved capital "G") had that built in the '50's. It was left to my Dad and his siblings, but my Dad bought out the others because the others are located very close to its site! So, we enjoy their company whenever we're there. Plus, they can keep an eye on the place throughout the year! It works out well. The only problem is that there isn't a lot to do there (for younger children). So, we are the only ones who really use it.

Sorry to ramble--which seems to be a real habit lately! I'll check in later today and tomorrow morning, in case there are other suggestions. Just a last note: We use the same Cable Company there as we do here. Am I allowed to say their name? I don't want to break the rules, and I don't think I am. If the moderator needs to blank out this part, please understand that I am not doing this to cause trouble--I'm doing it to help myself (and possibly many others). We use Comcast as our cable company in both places, and we use Comcast as our hook-up to the Internet!

I have an appointment, so I must go.

Thank you for your help!!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
(female)

Ms one HB User

Hi there,

I also live in Michigan and am very familiar with the area you will be traveling to. I'm not sure where you're coming from but please feel free to bring some warmer weather with you! It's been chilly here and is supposed to rain for the next week or so. I hope that doesn't ruin your vacation. Also, I know that Sprint has some things to offer you as far as wireless internet stuff. Sorry, I'm not very good with computers so I don't really know what everything is called but I was told when I purchased my laptop that if I ever wanted to take it with me on vacation or use it in a car that I could purchase whatever I needed from Sprint. I think it's rather expensive but I seem to recall them saying that I could use it when I needed to and wouldn't have to sign a contract. I hope this info helps you a little bit. Have fun on your vacation!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
(female)

Ms one HB User

Oh yeah,
I meant to tell you that if you go to their website and type in the zip code of where you will be staying they will be able to tell you if you can get service in that area.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductor View Post
...We use Comcast as our cable company in both places, and we use Comcast as our hook-up to the Internet...
Jon,

Disconnect and take your cable modem with you on vacation. Contact your nearest Comcast dealer/servicer and tell them that you want to continue the service from the new location (already serviced by Comcast) for "x" period of time, and that you'll have your cable modem with you. Ask them if you need to do anything other than hook it up to use it. I believe you are entitled to continued service from another location - heck, you're paying for it.

Even if you can't contact them, take the modem with you anyway and just hook it up and see what happens. You might need to take a splitter with you too, so you can have both tv and internet. There's probably already a splitter where you modem is hooked-up in your main home. Just take it with you. But do try to let Comcast know what you're doing so when they sense no modem at the other end they won't stop service.

Have a great vacation.

steve

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Well since you didn't state the total purpose of the lap top this is the guidelines i can give you.
Asus has something called Eee pc it is an ultra portable mini laptop. It is mainly used as a internet device. Wireless , it also uses flash drive so you can acatuly rip burn dvds onto a flash drive and watch it on your Eee pc. These run about 399

Now anyone can call dell and get a decent low end lap top that is a real one> if you want a great deal and not expect it to do much then look at there online outlet store. Spend way lots less and still end up with a decent machine.(400+)

this is my internet toy EEEPC 2G Surf Blush Pink
For a real laptop you would have to have one that has a card reader and or usb slot
the internet cards ( wireless are called different things by different compaines and run all different prices and plans
At first i thought my eepc was kind of silly but i found it came in handy while waiting for appointments and out and about

Have allot of fun on your trip and enjoy being with your family

Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Well...you all have been so helpful!! We leave in just a little bit, but I'm printing out the information and taking along the modem as Steve suggested.

If I get hooked up, I'll check in! Please know that you all are a serious part of my Pain Management routine because I can always count on understanding from you guys. People who don't suffer from Chronic Pain just don't understand the desperation you can sense.

Thank you, and I'll speak to you later.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Jon,

Have a great time.

I'm sure you will, and I am praying that you will be as pain free as possible. I hope this becomes your most memorable vacation ever (good memories).

steve

Closed Thread