It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Unhappy SO Frustrated with Ortho doc and finding PCP!!

Oooohhh I am so frustrated with finding someone to help me. My knee is absolutely killing me. As those of you know that read my previous posts about the Talwin, I called my Ortho doc last week about PT and the fact that it would be $50 everytime I went (3 times a week per him) and told him this wouldn't be happening. I also explained to his "coordinator" that I had 3 trips coming up and would love something stronger than the Talwin, Ultram or Darvocet to get me through. Well she called back today and said "sorry but he said he won't give you anything stronger than Talwin". Fine, I said then call the Talwin in. I have nothing except 800mg Ibupofen in the house to take for pain. I went to the pharmacy this evening to get the Talwin only to be told "we are having a problem getting this med and it may be a week or more"....great, what do I do in the meantime???

I also had an appt. with a new PCP last week but ended up not going because of having to help with my son's class at school. When I called their office to reschedule, the receptionist asked "now do you take any pain meds" and I said "yes, I take Ultram or Talwin occassionally" she then said well I can tell you that she (the doc) does not write for ANY pain meds and you might save yourself the time and inconvenience of coming to see her if that's what you think you may need. I said fine, just cancel. It's not that I just want pain medicine, I have tried other things and I know that this will help. It won't fix the problems I have but it will help!

Now what do I do? I have a trip to the zoo coming up with 18 kindergarteners(?), then 3 trips out of state. OMG all the walking, climbing steps etc...I think I'm going to cry . I don't want to just start looking up PCPs and going only to be disappointed. I need to find one that believes in pain medicine. How do I find that doctor? Why is my Ortho doc being such a butt? He has only given me Hydro twice in two years since my surgery so it's not like something I've been getting alot.

HELP please I think I'm going to crash ,
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: SO Frustrated with Ortho doc and finding PCP!!

LMP...Sorry this has been such a struggle for you. I don't think you'll ever find a PCP who will tell you up front that they believe in Rxing pain meds. I think the best thing to do, is find a doc who is an internist as opposed to a family practice doc. Get in and see them. Tell them your history, ie. your surgery and all the ensuing issues from it. Explain that nothing that your current Ortho has done has helped and let him/her know that you just want some help finding out what is causing all of this pain. I wouldn't mention any meds at all, unless you are asked (which, I am sure they will ask). When you tell them what meds you have taken, let them ask you if any of them have helped. Then tell them that, unfortunately, none of the past meds you have been prescribed gave you any relief.

The last thing you want to do is make any perspective new doc, think you are med seeking. Not that I think you are. But docs today are sooooo suspiscious. Sometimes, even a hint about pain meds will have them sending you out the door. If it's going to come up, let the doc bring it up. Even if this doc does not like to Rx pain meds themselves, if they realize you are just trying to find out why you still have such horrible pain, they might just refer you to a doc who will help.

I hope you can get this straightened out. In the meantime, try to do as little as you have to (I know its hard with kids). If you can get someone to help you out for a little bit, do that too. Believe me, I know from almost a decade of pain, that stress can make it a whole lot worse. Take care of yourself and if you need to vent, we're here. I don't know what kind of beliefs you have, but if it's OK, I'll keep you in my prayers. cmpgirl

Closed Thread