It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

SadWhimpers HB User
Question Seeing GP wednesday - Privacy question

Today I called my doctors office to get my hydrocodone refilled (I am on a contract) and I got called back and was told that the doctor wanted to see me first that she would like to start weaning me down/off my meds. Well, thats all fine and good... BUT why couldn't my ditzy blonde doctor realize this a week ago that way I could have seen her then instead of waiting for my call...

SO ANYWAYS. I have to see her on wednesday and I told my mom I was gonna tell my doctor about her (and my grandma, aunt, and 3 cousins) fibromyalgia. I am curious, can my doctor legally require me to show proof of their diagnoses? I wouldn't think so because of obvious privacy rights, but I want to make sure first before I subject my family's privacy. I normally wouldn't hesitate on this but my doctor seems to have a dr. jekell/mr. hyde type personality. She will say one thing one visit, then something else the next visit, she's a true blonde, forgetfull to boot, and it appears to me she has this vindictive power trip thing going on.

Also - if I ask for a referral to a rheumatologist does she have to give me one or can she deny me that? I have a full day to plan ahead and want to have my eggs in the same basket before they hatch behind my back...

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
(male)

mark76 HB User
Re: Seeing GP wednesday - Privacy question

Just out of curiosity, why would your doctor want to require proof of family members' conditions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sorry, I'm confused too. Did she actually ask you to bring in or provide info on your family members? Or are you just planning to tell her so that she knows it is prevalent in your family? If it is the latter and she hasn't asked for documentation, then I wouldn't think you need to worry.

Is she weaning you off the meds because your pain has subsided? Or is she one of those doc's who is just skittish about pain meds?

Take care and let us know, OK?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

" she's a true blonde, forgetfull to boot"

Im a true blonde, and nothing of the sort, and especially not ditzy. I am kind of confused as to what is being asked.
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-13-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadWhimpers View Post
SO ANYWAYS. I have to see her on wednesday and I told my mom I was gonna tell my doctor about her (and my grandma, aunt, and 3 cousins) fibromyalgia. I am curious, can my doctor legally require me to show proof of their diagnoses?
The way I'm reading this is that she is going to tell the Doc about her family members....Sounds like she may have the same condition and wants to tell the Doc that it runs in her family as a way to justify her position (for being on the meds). Maybe I'm wrong.

Also....If you've received a call "out of the blue" re: getting tapered, something has happened, or someone has taken something the wrong way. I'd get to the bottom of it.

Good luck.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-13-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Why are you on Pain medication to begin with? Obviously not for Fibromyologa. I have one too and as my rheumotologist told me 70% of Americans have this condition due to stressful like style we have.
But they don't use PK for this condition, I am on Celebrex, anti-flammatory meds, steroids...
This runs in a families sometimes and usually does not requires strong medication, but PT, exsercices and healthy life style.

I wish you would give us more information that we can give you an advice you are looking for...

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
(female)

SadWhimpers HB User

Here is the introduction post I made, it outlines the details:

My PCP recently put me on a IPcontract and it runs up next month. I am wondering: I have searched on the net for a Pain Doc in my area (the Portland, OR area, preferably west-side) but I can only find docs that work with spinal treatments and such. Does anyone have any tips or know of someone that might be able to help me.

I first injured my back in a combonation of incidents. First I pulled a 12 hour stock shift and then the next morning I lifted my brother (I was 18 and he was 1 1/2) and I heard a loud crack and felt a sharp pain the same time. I almost dropped my brother btw. I don't think it was my bro that did it, I think it was the strain the night before on top of the kid...

Things that happened later on in life added on to the pain. In 2003 my husband and I were in a very combustable living situation and I practically had to stay in our room which was cramped and only had a bed to "hang out" on.. During that stay we hit a HUGE snowstorm and had to be cooped up in the cold really did a job on my knees, and joints.

Then three years later we stayed with my mother-in-law for her last days and it was in the coldest part of the state I SWEAR, it made it worse...

Fast Forward one year (NOW), our climate has finally decided it was Spring and this years long winter has further deteriorated my joints.

I've had blood tests for white cell, lupus, Rheu. Arthritis, I do have severe inflammation in my body, but that it was not any of the "serious" things.

My mom, my mom's mom, my mom's sister and her sisters daughters ALL have Fibromyalgia. I've read the symptoms and its a DEAD on diagnosis.. I just don't know what testing there is to diagnose it. I read that it was the same test as lupus and R.A. but somewhere else told me it was pressure testing....
I just don't know.. I'm scared... My doctor has me on lortab 7.5/500 2xday and despite my diagnosed metabolic disorder (which she had to alter ALL of my OTHER meds to make up for my body processing it at an exellorated rate) she refuses to alter my pain meds. The thing is, the first sign of my mom's family with Fibro was them ALL jumping off the exam table when getting their blood pressure checked.. I have the same problem, it hurts like 1 holy mother.. I also have the TALL tale tempature regulation problem. If I am NOT on enough PM meds I feel like I am VERY VERY cold..... and when I am cold my body hurts that much more.

I would like to get to just taking a straight PM med, not something with Tylenol in it. I am gonna ask my doctor for Vicoprofen (it has the same amount of hydro but with 200 mgs of ibuprofen, then I could take the tylenol at night before bed in a Tylenol PM mixture...

My mother-in-law was a pharmacist, and I am terribly sad that she isn't here to help me with this... she would have been the perfect rock for me to lean on. I just don't know what to do. I need to get a job, but I can't cause of the CP... I'm only 26 and eventually I hope to have kids (I will need round the clock care cause I know better to take PM meds with pregnancy).....

So, if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I feel so alone with this...

Closed Thread