It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Question About Klonopin, Please

Hello to all my med savvy friends....

My psych doc just prescribed Klonopin 2mg (generic clonazepam, actually) because I have had so much difficulty sleeping. I have taken Xanax and have tolerated it well, and I know Klonopin is a benzo, too.

Should I be OK? Or are there major differences in the 2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Re: Question About Klonopin, Please

2 mgs in a pretty hefty dose. It should knock you on your hiney. I take 1mg and its strong stuff and really helps me sleep. it has a long half life as well and does last about 8 hours. I have used it for years and have only needed 1 increase so your tolerance to it will build slow. if you find 2 mgs to be to strong you can break it in half. you may not need that much.

good luck with it, its been a god send for me. I never take it any other time but bed time as it does effect me and makes me really sleepy and icky feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I agree. Starting with 2mg is TOOOOOO much! Even when you have taken the Xanax before, this is a very high dose. It is the highest dose possible, so if you build a tolerance to it, there is no where else to go. I would strongly recommend you break it in half and start with 1 mg. I am prescribed 1mg doses for sleep and anxiety. I always take 0.5mg and have no issues with that dose at all, and it does the trick. Definetly try the smaller dose first. It can and will effect you the next day, so start slow and give yourself extra time in the morning if you are on a schedule. Good luck! Let us know how it works!

Amanda

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

2mg is a lot to start out with. I have horrific insomnia and took .5 mg of Klonopin for a while, and it really helped my sleep. I take Xanax for anxiety/panic attacks occasionally, and if I am unable to relax at bedtime, I'll take it then, but I do take it at other times during the day and it does not necessarily make me sleepy, just calmer.

However, I developed some rage/depression issues from the Klonopin, and had to go off of it, which was a difficult process. I had withdrawal symptoms of rebound insomnia for a few weeks.

If you are desperate for sleep, try it, but be careful.

Have you thought of Phenergan (generic is Promethazine)? It has sedating qualities without the side effects or dependency issues. It is not normally prescribed for sleep (it's an anti-nausea med), but it sure does help me.

Blessings, Cmp!

TexMom

PS Have you tried any of the regular sleep meds, like Ambien, Ambien CR, Lunesta, Prosom?

Last edited by TexMom85; 05-14-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: ps

Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
(male)

JMiller22 HB User

Klonopin has worked wonders for me, as well. I take 2 mg 3-4x a day. 4 times may seem like a lot but my anxiety is absolutely horrible to where Xanax would help it for an hour or two and then its back as bad as it was. Before I started taking it, it almost seemed like I was in a constant panic attack, which is why my doctor has me on a long-acting benzo at such a frequent dose. I'm a big guy (6'2 245) and a hardcore insomniac, so I even need a sleep aid on top of that daily clonazepam dose. I think that if you get your dose to match your anxiety level, you'll find that this drug will work for you well.

TexMom85, I don't mean any offense or want to put you on the spot, and I don't mean to get away from the point of the thread, but I'm curious about the rage/depression problems you had with the clonazepam. Were those symptoms a direct cause of the drug? I only ask because a relative of mine had the same exact problem with Xanax. He's a big guy and he took 2 mg.'s 3 times a day. He'd just get random anger spells, you know, like just start yelling and even hitting walls and other objects. Its the last thing I would expect to see from an anxiolytic medication.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thanks ladies, I was a little concerned about the high dose too. That was why I asked. My mom was prescribed 1mg Klonopin when her Alzheimer's was in full swing, to help with the agitation. At that stage, she could get pretty off the wall, and it worked well to calm her. So, I figured 2mg was pretty potent.

I know the main reason Charlie (my psychiatrist) gave me the Klonopin was because of the longer half life. Taking 1 full mg. of the Xanax will help me sleep for a bit, but I am still waking up frequently. So, I guess he figured 2mg. of the Klonopin would do the trick.

I will definitely start by splitting the pill into halves or even quarters to start. I'll probably need to get a new pill splitter to try for quarters, because mine is old enough that I fear it may be dull enough to crush it.

Tex, I took Ambien CR for a bit, last year, but had insane dreams with it. I was sleeping, but it was not a restful sleep, due to the dreams. Plus, it gave me night sweats.

I thank you all again, for the advice and the education. I know I can always count on my friends here. Take care and God Bless, CMP/MM

Oops! Thank you also, JMiller, I didn't see your post till after I submitted mine. We must have crossed in cyberspace! Also, welcome! It's so nice to see so many new folks adding their wisdom to our little family. I certainly did not intend to refer to you as a lady! Take Care, CMP/MM

Last edited by cmpgirl; 05-14-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

cmpgirl,

I think 1mg is a good starting point.

It's not uncommon for docs to prescribe .5mg, so 2mg is a high dose, especially as a starting dose.

I wouldn't go less than 1mg though. Since you have been using Xanax, you will have at least a mild cross-tolerance.

My daughter uses it for anxiety. She's prescribed 1mg up to 3x per day as needed. Helps alot. And she can stop any time and not suffer for it. And she's been on it for over a year. Others may have a different experience, but she's had no trouble stopping. It was the same with me.

I think this is just what the dr ordered.

Sweet dreams!

steve

Old 05-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Just a quick update.....I split one of the 2mg. tabs last night and I think I'm goint to quarter it next time. Oh I slept alright.......12 hours! And I felt like a wet rag for a couple of hours after I finally woke up. So, 1/2mg will be better, I think. At least for now. I can certainly see that it has a longer half life than the Xanax.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I knew I could count on you, as always. Still a little groggy........CMP/MM

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Outstanding!

So now it's Drowsy Mean Mary Margaret?

I'm really glad for you that something will help with the sleep. Not being able to sleep is so debilitating. I remember after being victimized by the defective fentanyl patches, I went through detox and was off of all opioids for a few months. The first month I didn't sleep for even an hour. I learned the location of every bump and feature on the ceiling. By heart. I could still draw it. I was so exhausted.

Sweet Dreams...zzz

steve

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I actually fell asleep on the couch watching Sunday's Desperate Housewives. My hubby came down and shook me a little. I think I scared him! But boy, was I stiff and sore. Not to mention the show had been going around in a loop on my DVR all night! Gotta love them though. I haven't watched a commercial in years!

I think hubby prefers drowsy Triple M. She isn't as vocal, first thing in the morning!

Thanks for the suggestion of cutting it in half. I can't imagine if I had taken the whole dose! Hugs, DMM

Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

CMP, don't know about the konopin. It sounds like some powerful stuff and I pray that it works for you. May I ask what Health board do you post about CMP on?

Last edited by ms_west; 05-16-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sadly Pepper, There is none. I was surprised when I first found these boards, because CMP is as common as Fibro and there is a Fibro board. I think it is more than likely due to the fact that many people, even docs, seem to think they are one and the same. Which they are definitely not.

Nothing against Fibro. It is a painful and debilitating condition. But because some of the symptoms and key words are used in both, it gets confused very often. I have not, to date, found any support groups or forums dedicated to chronic myofascial pain. The sad thing is, that many people, especially people who have lived a while with chronic pain, have CMP and don't even know it. Or their doc puts it in their chart as an annoying aside to other conditions.

So, all of you get to hear me vent!! I don't really talk a lot about my symptoms because there are few here who have been given the dx as a primary condition. If you've been following Sammy's threads lately, she was just diagnosed, formally, poor kid. It's a pretty scary dx to get, because so little is known and there is no cure or "fix" for it. I also have DDD,9 bulging discs, stenosis of the left spine, spondylosis and neuropathy, but because my CMP is so severe, the rest pale in comparison.

Thanks for asking. Sorry the answer was such a long one. I do the best I can, and because of my amazing PM, I get really good care. How are you feeling? Is the pain a little better at least? I just felt horrible when you were going through that. I thought for sure they were going to admit you.

Take care, my dear friend. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thank you Juliet, I actually had a really good night's sleep last night. I quartered the 2mg. klonopin and it seems to be the perfect dose. I woke up feeling refreshed and to my surprise, a little less stiff and sore than usual. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I knew that a benzodiazapine like klonopin or xanax, can also give a little boost to your pain meds. And I believe in this case, the klonopin did just that.

The beauty of the klonopin vs. xanax is that klonopin has a longer half life, so there is not as much interuption of sleep. So, it looks like this is a keeper for now. Sleep deprevation, as we all know so well, can make our pain worse among other things.

I did take amitriptyline several years ago, when I was first in PM and while it was certainly sedating, I had those a.m. "hangovers" that were very annoying, even after taking it for 6 months. For me, they just never went away. Matter of fact, I would feel "off" all day. And at that time (I was still with my very first PM doc) nothing else was offered for sleep, so for years, I took nothing. In recent years I would take the OTC benedryl products, but they are also too short acting. So, for now, I'll stay with the klonopin.

How have you been feeling? I know you have some decisions to make right now. I think getting the liver surgery out of the way, will help you be able to focus more clearly on whether to do the fusion or not. In any case, I am praying for you and sending you good thoughts. Take good care, and if you need anything, I'm here. Blessings, CMP/MM

Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

cmpgirl:
I would seriously think about asking the doc for the 0.5 mg next time. That way you can adjust the dosage better. I used to take Klonopin 0.5mg up to 3x per day. I think that you might do better with a low dose of this and possibly something to sleep with like Lunesta. Have you ever tried this for sleep. I can tell you what I used to take to sleep was a 0.5mg Klonopin and 1-2 pills of Benadryl. This would put me to sleep guaranteed in 30-45 minutes. Of course now I no longer take the Klonopin(was he** to get off of) and now I occasionally take Ambien but usually 1-2 pills of Benadryl(diphenhydramine). This usually does the trick pretty good.

You don't want to max out your tolerance to the Klonopin any time soon so ask the doc for the lower dosage. Good luck

brian

Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I take Amiltritlyine for sleeping (10mg) and its a way better move if you can just manage with a small increase on that to 20 or 25mg (they make 25mg tablets.) It's not an additive drug (to my knowledge) and is very effective Xanax and Klopin etc. Once you get used to the unquenchable quirst, lol...

Closed Thread