It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User
Which OTC's do you take with Neurontin?

My orthopedic surgeon took me off Lyrica last week and put me on 600mg of Neurontin for nerve pain. So far, it's not too bad, (I am having some BT pain but it's not unbearable), but since I also have tendonitis pain from an unrelated injury, he started me on 600 mg, 2x of Daypro (aka Oxyprozin), a NSAID.

I feel a little better than I have in the past few weeks. My physical therapy is finally starting to help, and I think getting off the Lyrica has helped as well. I am still experiencing some general achy-ness and was wondering which of the OTC's I could take, like tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, etc. to help with the pain I am still experiencing.

I am presently looking for a physiatrist, like was suggested, to help me get my pain under control amidst all the other health issues (and corresponding medications I take). I am just waiting until our insurance changes, which will be in a few weeks, hopefully (hubby has yet to find a new job and his current one ends on May 30.)

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Which OTC's do you take with Neurontin?

I would think you would only be able to take tylenol but truthfully I would ask your pharmacist. He can guide you better to make sure that you don't experience any interactions or accidently overdosing on any meds.

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

One thing you might consider if changing jobs, insurance will take a bit so if you have to go see doc now and stock up on meds while you still have insurance.
Other thing i would suggest is have your doc call in a prescription strength motrin > It is generally cheaper then otc's out there and if not on it permanently it may take a bite out of what you may be experiencing. While some folks may experience stomach upset other folks handle it very well

Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Tex, Due to the Daypro, I think Tylenol would be a better supplement for the pain. I don't know if you have ever had the stomach issues with anti-inflams, but I have to take them very sparingly, because I took so many back in the early days and they ruined my "gut". I now take prescription Nexium, because of the irritation that so many meds can cause, and it makes a huge difference.

As long as there are not high levels of the tylenol in any of your other meds, and you stay below the 3500 to 4000 mgs. of the tylenol per day, you should be fine.

I hope it helps some. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Try Extra Strength Percogesic (it is ES Tylenol with an antihistamine that has some analgesic and muscle relaxent actions)

Dont take aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen with Daypro

Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Thanks for the advice...I do appreciate it!

I'll look for the Percogesic and give it a try.

Does anyone remember Orudis? It was a prescription med that became OTC and now is prescription again. Its name is ketoprofen....Does anyone know why it went back to being a prescription med? I really liked it.

Tex

PS Cmpgirl, I have had some nausea with the Daypro but if I eat something it's not as bad. I think it's starting to improve as I get used to it.

Last edited by TexMom85; 05-16-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: PS

Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Orudis was found to have one of the worst gastric ulceration rates of all the antiinflamatory drugs - about 15 times that of Ibuprofen I think.

if cou cant find extra strength percogesic in the grocery store, try a pharmacy. It is also readily avaliable from online retailers.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejono View Post
if cou cant find extra strength percogesic in the grocery store, try a pharmacy. It is also readily avaliable from online retailers.
I don't know if we have this in the US. But if it is dyphenhydramine in it with the Tylenol then it is called Tylenol PM. But be very careful because it will probably make you very drowsy and might put you to sleep. I would also recommend the Tylenol at levels of 3000mg/day or less. Good luck with the Neurontin. I was on it and it did not help me that much and I was all the way to the max at 3600mg/day I hope it helps you.

brian

Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

With my insomnia, I probably wouldn't mind getting sleepier from the Tylenol PM, although when I tried it as the sole treatment for my sleep issues a few years ago, it didn't do anything for me. I just want to make sure I'm not taxing my liver too much.

The physical therapy I've been having for my tendonitis has both helped and hurt. It seems to be helping loosen up the tension, but after a session, I typically hurt pretty bad, way beyond what the Daypro can handle. I have another appointment with the OS the first week of June, and will talk to him about PM. If he doesn't take me seriously, then he gets kicked to the curb. I feel like I've been a very patient patient, and I am more than willing to find someone else to treat this pain if he isn't.

I am still experiencing some swelling in my feet and hands, although not nearly as bad as with the Lyrica. I probably will have to up the dosage on the Neurontin since my nerve pain is breaking through most days. It isn't as bad as it was prior to treatment, but I figure since I am on a low dosage, there is room to experiment with increases.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Blessings,
Tex

Old 05-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

provided you done excede 4000mg of acetamonophen ( 8 of the extra strength tablets) you have more chance of being killed in a plane crash than suffering liver damage.

Percogesic is acetaminophen with a low dose of diphenhydramine, it can be taken during the day. Tylenol PM would make one a bit too dopy if taken in the day time i think.

Another good one is Excedrin Tension Headache, this is acetaminophen with caffeine, which gives ~ a 50% boost to the pain releiving power.... maybe take this during the day, and tylenol pm at bedtime?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
I don't know if we have this in the US. But if it is dyphenhydramine in it with the Tylenol then it is called Tylenol PM. But be very careful because it will probably make you very drowsy and might put you to sleep. I would also recommend the Tylenol at levels of 3000mg/day or less. Good luck with the Neurontin. I was on it and it did not help me that much and I was all the way to the max at 3600mg/day I hope it helps you.

brian

Brian:

We do have this in the US, and it's sold as Percogesic. You can find it right next to the Excedrin, etc. in the stores. It's great stuff. My hubbs uses it, and it's way better than plain ole Tylenol for him when he strains a muscle working in the yard, etc! I have a box of it in my med. cabinet right now.

Percogesic has: acetaminophen and phenyltoloxamine (an antihistimine).
If you take an MAOI, you cannot use it, as there are warnings of drug interactions because of the antihistimine (I guess). There is also a warning that it could increase the effects of other pain medications!

Hey Tx: I would suggest the you speak to your doc to see if this is a medication that can be added to your regular medication regime if you are considering this medication. Hope you are getting those pain levels down!

Much luck!

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Spinal/Aussie,

No MAOIs on my long list of medications, so I think I'd be okay with the Percogesic. I am still amazed at how ignorant/uninformed I am regarding the number of pain meds available, and their interactions, side effects, etc. This board has been an invaluable source of information for me, and I will be armed and ready to have an in-depth discussion with my doc in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it!

Blessings,
Tex

Closed Thread