It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

stay2654 HB User
Dilauded

I was wondering what your experience was on this med? I just had a back fusion and doc rx'ed me this 4 mg. I started it yesterday because the Vicodin and Percocet was not cutting it. It seems to be giving me headaches.
Anyone else experience this? Can I take Tynelol with it?

Thanks, Stay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Dilauded

I wonder if the dose is a bit too high?

When I am given too much narcotic it causes me headaches. Can you try cutting it in half and see? If the pain is still too much, then you'll have to take the rest of the dose. Oftentimes, opioids are more effective when taken in staggered form. I'll never forget the advice I was given by an orthopedic surgeon years ago. He prescribed vicodin, two every 4-6 hours for post surgical pain upon discharge from the hospital. He said, take the first one, then wait a half hour and take the other one. He said I'd be amazed at how much better it covered the pain. And he was absolutely right. I do that now with all non ER meds.

Yes, you can take Tylenol with it. You might also try some caffeine. Either in the form of NoDoz or some coffee, maybe two cups. It enhances the narcotic and can relieve the headache.

steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Are you taking it with the vicodin and the percocet? Or with one of them? Or is this a replacement for both? Just curious, because I know some docs will have you take one pain med, then alternate with another for better coverage. I agree with Steve that new meds can sometimes cause headaches in the beginning and may dissipate, with usage. The caffine is a good suggestion too, if you can have it.

Take care. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Stay, I too get headaches with the pill form of diaudid. When I am hospitalized, they use it in my PCA and it's a life saver, but for some reason the pill form gives me a headache and it was the 4 mg also. The only thing I thought about was that the manufactor was Mallinckroidt(sp) and when I was taking hydro years ago the hydro from Mall gave me a headache as well when I took other brands I didn't get a headache.

Melissa

Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I was giving a pump after my lumbar fusion because Morphine pump did not help my pain.
I had very bad headache with it and nausea also.
So I guess, this is how your body reacts to this Pain medication.

Good luck on your recoverY!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

stay2654 HB User

Thanks all. No, I am just taking the Dialuded as of now. I have been taking Tynelol with it as well. Its weird though, I don't "feel" it working as I did woth the percocet. I kinda felt alittle weird I guess when the pills were kicking in. Isnt this alot stronger? Its every 6-8 hors though?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Stay, I have read or heard that Dilauded in pill form, is much less potent than in IV form. My sister-in-law was given the dilauded pills for an additional "boost" to her current regemine, and she said she felt no difference while taking it, nor did she notice it was gone, when she stopped it.

I haven't taken it, myself, but she has had chronic pain for about 15 years now, and has a good knowledge of many meds, because she has taken so many different ones over the years.

Don't know it this helps, but I thought I'd let you know her experience. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay2654 View Post
Thanks all. No, I am just taking the Dialuded as of now. I have been taking Tynelol with it as well. Its weird though, I don't "feel" it working as I did woth the percocet. I kinda felt alittle weird I guess when the pills were kicking in. Isnt this alot stronger? Its every 6-8 hors though?
Dilaudid is pretty potent and has good bioavailability if memory serves. And it should last at least 5 hours, maybe 6. It make me too drowsy, so I don't like it, bit others swear by it.

steve

Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
(female)

sandy0224 HB Usersandy0224 HB User

I've been taking 4mg dilaudid 4x a day for breakthru pain and it's a wonder drug for me. No headaches, just sweet relief. It might be that your body has to get used to it and with time the headaches may dissipate. I've been on percocet, hydrocodone, etc, and none of them have given me the relief that dilaudid has.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #10
(female)

pulskaki HB User

I was perscribed it for pain after surgery and the nurse in recovery didn't know what to do so she gave th regular morphine on time and between the two of them I lost all control of my muscle control. for about 8-10 hours i think that it would be clear to say that I was overdosed on pain meds..... I am afraid to take them again....

Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

These are not wuite the same as the numbers I get, which are from the manufacturer's monographs (same reference the FDA uses).

For dilaudid taken orally the bioavailability is 24%, and morphine sulfate is 40%.

These numbers come from the web sites for Dilaudid (Abbott) and MS Contin (Purdue).

steve

Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
(female)

pulskaki HB User
Question Re: Dilauded

It is me again is there anyone out there that has had these side affects happen to them??? no one really did answere my thread so I am justresponding again???? I was basically not able to function if I tried to stand I would fall as if I had no controll at all over my legs. Do you think that it was the combination of the morphine sulfate and the dilauded??? Please help!!!!

Kimmie-Kat

Old 05-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had started your own thread on dilaudid. If you are referring to your recent post in this thread, then it might be because folks are trying to keep on subject and reply to the OP and is appropriate. You might want to start your own thread to get the best response.

To be brief - I haven't heard of such a reaction. It doesn't sound like OD. It may be allergy. Or, it may be an interaction with another med. Did you ask the medical staff at the hospital? If so, what did they say?

steve

Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
(female)

bren48 HB User
Question Re: Dilauded

started a new thread with my question.

Last edited by bren48; 05-19-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Closed Thread