It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
(male)

bear30 HB User
roxicodone

hello, i guess i just wanted to say i was just tolerant of the percocet 7.5/325 (watson brand) i was taking, two tabs (15mg) three- four times a day up to 8 a day for the last 3 years but they basically stopped working. i also used ms contin as needed when the percocet did not fully relieve the pain which was happening more often. i was reluctant to tell the doctor how much my pain has increased even though i have lost 60lbs since december. finally i talked to my doctor about it a few weeks ago. they ordered another mri which says i have spinal stenosis and bulging discs and signs of spondolythsis (sp?) i prefered not to be taking oxycontin or even ms contin really. they gave me roxicodone 15mg 1-2 every 4-6 hours - up to 8 a day. i generally take two three times a day and sometimes i wake up in the middle of the nigh in pain and take one. even though it is ethex brand whih i think is a cheezy brand right, i cant say what a diffrence there is between one of those and two of the percocets. even the generics. it works better at relieving the pain. and after two weeks of being on it i no longer have constant stomach aches. my other meds are baclofen, xanax1mg and metadate as needed. i have not had to take any of the ms contin since going on the oxycodone, but i will keep them and use them if i need to like i always have. i am just scared that soon i will become tolerant of this dose also. i am sorry for everyone having this chronic pain. it has been so painful all these years. i dont think any amount of any med would fully take it away. thanks for listening. (reading)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
(female)

manders061904 HB User
Re: roxicodone

Hello there! I really think that roxicodone is one of the best meds out there...at least as far as non ER meds..I used to be on either the 15mg or 30mg roxi depending on the dose of Oxycontin I was on, and they were the one med that would work fast and actually help with some of the pain. My new doc has me on Opana and Percs but I don't like the Percs b/c of the apap and the dose just isnt strong enough. You are right though, you do build up a tolerance faster (i think) on the roxi's. I also like them since they are such a small pill, not a whole bunch of garbage in your stomach. Good luck! And I hope you find some relief soon!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Bear, I was just wondering...The MS Contin you have, is it long acting or short acting? I was just confused because you say you had percocet too and now the roxicodone to replace that. Are you on short acting meds only?

I am sure that after 3 years, you more than likely built up a tolerance to the meds you were taking. Unfortunately, that's one of the down sides to chronic pain and meds.

I apologize if I sound nosey, but why are you worried about Oxycontin? All it is is Oxycodone, in a time released form. If your pain is still waking you up during the night, the longer acting med could help a lot with that.

Take care and keep posting! It's great to hear from everybody. CMP/MM

Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
(male)

bear30 HB User

hi cmpgirl!

i have actually been taking percocet since i was about 24 and i am almost 31 now. first 5mg but only 1 qid- then up to 2qid after a few years, then 2 7.5mg-qid...it's increased over the years like my pain. a few years ago my doctor wanted to put me on a long-acting med, so they put me on avinza 120mg. it made me dizzy and made me feel just plain gross, so i asked to be switched to a 12 hour type morphine which came mscontin 60mg. i found that they are still too strong and still give me that yucky-dizzy feeling however since i have been taking oxycodone for so long sometimes it just plain doesnt work (the roxis are working a LOT better though) even though i am still in pain i can not take more than 2 every 4-6 hours. if this is the case then i will take the morphine. then i get relief. im not exactly sure why if its because its stronger, or if its just because its a diffrent type of opiate, i dont know. since i was not in much pain, this was ok by the doctor. sometimes i would be in such pain i was taking 1 ms contin 60mg a day (not two) and 6-8 7.5mg percocet a day. it sucks to be in so much pain. i have not had to take but one MScontin in almost a month now since they have had the increased meds. re: the oxycontin im not sure exactly why it scares me. i like the fact tha i can take medication more as needed. im afraid of withdrawals if i miss a day or becoming addicted. i guess im more scared of the hype around it. oxycontin. just the word makes me nervous. i understand that it is the same thing just time released, i dont know, i prefer the flexibility of the instant release tabs.. what do you think? have a nice day!!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Bear...The oxycontin is a synthetic, like the oxycodone, whereas the MS contin is actual Morphine Sulfate. To me the fact that the morphine products make you sick and the Roxi (oxycodone) which is short acting oxycontin, doesn't make you sick, means that like me, you can't take morphine.

So, I think the oxycontin would be perfect for you. I know it has all the addiction hype surrounding it, but it is not what the tabloids and talk shows make it out to be. The only people who develop a psychological addiction to it are those who do not have legit pain, and abuse it. Same as the short acting meds. And in actuality, it's been found that it has less potential for addiction than short acting meds. I'm sure some of the others can explain that better than I have.

We all develop a physical dependence to narcotics when we take them long term. It's just the nature of the beast, so to speak. But there is a big difference between dependence and addiction.

So, if it were me in your shoes, with the pain waking me up every night, I would go for the oxycontin. Just my humble opinion........

I hope that helps a little. Take care, CMP

Closed Thread