It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
(female)

tandycipps HB User
Need to vent!

Hi,
I haven't posted much but I do come in and read all the time. I can tell how compassionate so many of you are on this board. I am just so angry I want to tell you what happened to me today.
The last two times I went to see my PM my blood pressure was a little high. They said I need to go to my GP and get it checked out. Well, I don't have a gp close, I moved 45 miles away, but I figured it was time to find an MD in my town.
Ok, I call this DO in the phone book cause he takes walk-ins and I thought this would be a piece of cake to get this taken care of. I thought I would just go in and tell him my blood pressure was high and I needed some bp pills. I had no idea they had to do blood work, etc. first. That was fine with me, no problem.
I called his office and the doctor answered his phone, which to me that sounded a little strange, but Oh well, I just needed to get some blood pressure pills, right?
Here is the conversation between me and the doc:
Doc.Dr ______'s office
Me-Yes, I need to come in and have my blood pressure checked to see if I need bp pills.
Doc- Well, why do you think you need blood pressure pills?
Me- Well, I go to a pm in _____ and my bp was high last time I was in to see him two days ago.
Doc-Oh, I don't give out pain pills!
Me- I'm not asking for pain pills, I just want my bp checked to see if I need to be on some kind of bp meds.
Doc- Well, I'm not going to give you pain pills, I'm not that kind of doctor!
Me- I said I go to a pm already but they don't treat bp problems so that is why I need to come in and see you.
Doc- Well, just what makes you think you can just come in and I'll hand you some bp pills without doing blood work on you?
I almost wanted to say "you know you must be some kind of quack to talk to me like that!
I'm just so mad! Needless to say, I DID NOT go to that creep. I found another lady doctor that got everything under control.
Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them? That jerk made me feel like some kind of junkie or something. Things like that really bother me. It's bad enough that we hurt and have to depend on pain meds just to help us live day to day but then to have to put up with that on top of everything else.
Well, thanks for letting me vent!
I hope this post doesn't sound stupid, I'm just so friggin mad right now just thinking about that doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Need to vent!

Tandy, I tell you this climate on meds is getting crazy. I thought it might be a good idea to start seeing a counselor, but I wanted to speak to someone who specilized in patients with chronic illness. I used to go somewhere else but it was over an hour away and became to difficult to get there. So I start making calls to counseling centers and counselors listed and I leave a message at a place I'd heard about and thought it might be the place for me. So I get a call back and give basic info and then she asks why I want counseling and I say I am in chronic pain and would like to speak with someone about the challenges that I now have in my life. There was a moment of silence and then when before her voice was all light and pleasant, she got nasty and said we don't give pain medications here. What?!!! I was stunned. I said I never said anything about wanting meds. She asked me well are you on them. I wish I just would have hung up or gave her a piece of my mind, but I was so surprised I kept talking and said yes but by a pain doc and I just wanted someone to help me with my life issues now that I am a chronic pain patient. She went ahead and made an appointment which I cancelled the next day, but where did that come from?

It's everywhere, I've been hearing that when you call to see if a doc is taking new patients people are told that the doctor doesn't prescribe pain meds so if that's what you want don't come here. I've also heard docs telling patients they are not allowed to prescribe anything stronger than hydro, which as far as I know is a down right lie, but the other thing I've heard and I have no idea if this is true is that docs are saying they didn't renew their licence to prescribe narcs. We are in a very sad time where this is happening. I guess it's OK to discriminate against pain patients. Very scary.

Melissa

Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Tandy!

Welcome to the pain boards, wow I would have been mad too, how rude of this guy!

There are some medical people, that the minute they hear the words 'pain management', assume we are some kind of raving drug seekers, To me its actually a GOOD thing that they tend to freak out right away like that, it saves us the time and trouble of seeing them and being treated like poop.

Once this guy heard the word 'pain' he didnt hear another word you said. I am so glad you found someone else and didnt give this jerk any of your time or money.

I have known a few D.O.'s (doctors of osteopath), some you cant tell the difference between them and an MD, others are closer to holistic type naturopathics, but you cant know until you see and/or talk to them.

Which is not to say naturopathics cannot be helpful to those of us in pain, they can be enormously beneficial, but a lot of them tend to be very anti western medicine, and particularly harsh on the use of opiates.

Again, welcome, and feel free to vent anytime, its one of the things we do best here, is listen!

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sorry you had to go through that. What a whack-o. He answered his own phone? That is strange. Maybe he's an older doc, kind of a throwback to the old days of house calls and such, and his 1 employee, who happens to be his nurse and his wife, was out to lunch.

I'm not joking here. We had a doc, right around the corner from me, who had that very set-up, and he finally retired 2 years ago, at 80.

Plus, so many docs are "narcophobic" these days. They don't even stop to listen to what you're saying. They hear the word pain, and everything else is a blur.

I'm really glad you found someone else though. I had a recent scare with high BP, and it was a bit of a nightmare too, but for different reasons. It's definitely not something to mess with. If I may ask, what was your BP? when the PM took it?

Anyway, welcome. And please let us know your story sometime. Take care, CMP/MM

Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

My BP is boarderline high... every time I see my doctor, she ums and ahs about starting me on pills.

Last time, i forgot i had taken a Sudafed that morning, and when she took it, she thought the machine was broken, and took it again with a second unit, it was so high. So no more sudafed for me!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

Ms one HB User

Hi,
I haven't experienced anything quite that horrible yet. I'm sorry for what you went through, that's horrible.
I'm currently looking for a doctor to handle things for me and all I keep getting is "I'm sorry, we don't take chronic pain patients". Ugh, I never knew being in pain and needing help with it was a crime!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
(female)

tandycipps HB User

Thanks Guys for all the support and letting me vent about this nut.
CMPGIRL, my bp was 157/96. When I went to my new gp it was about the same and she wanted to try me on a mild fluid pill to see what that did before putting me on bp meds. I took the fluid pill for two days and my bp dropped and has stayed fine ever since. I did get off the fluid pills cause they made me weak. She said I must have been retaining and once they got the fluid off I was ok. She said keep an eye on my bp and if it goes back up to give her and call and we will go from there.
This morning I called a neighbor and we were talking and I told her what had happened and she said "why didn't you call me"? I could tell you about this creepy doctor! She said he left his wife for his young nurse and his wife took him to the cleaners and also back in the 90"s he was giving out diet pills like candy and they came down pretty hard on him. Maybe he is just a bitter man and it comes through when he deals with his patients.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

To be honest, your blood pressure may be up due to pain. You might try one of those home units ones you can but like at Wally World for around $30 to $40 and just track it for a few days. My blood pressure has a tendency to rise with pain. When I had an episode last time, it was 158/106. Yesterday when I had an appt with my GP, it was 138/95. It is coming down but still a little high but then again so is my pain. I tracked it last week and sure enough when the pain was high my bp was high and when the pain was low my bp was normal.

Just a thought

Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
(female)

tandycipps HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
To be honest, your blood pressure may be up due to pain. You might try one of those home units ones you can but like at Wally World for around $30 to $40 and just track it for a few days. My blood pressure has a tendency to rise with pain. When I had an episode last time, it was 158/106. Yesterday when I had an appt with my GP, it was 138/95. It is coming down but still a little high but then again so is my pain. I tracked it last week and sure enough when the pain was high my bp was high and when the pain was low my bp was normal.

Just a thought
Thanks DP!
I did buy a bp machine and keep tabs on it, just in case!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Keep us posted. I an interested to see if this is your case too.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrashamx View Post
To me its actually a GOOD thing that they tend to freak out right away like that, it saves us the time and trouble of seeing them and being treated like poop.
Fabby is 100% correct....Ironically, even as rude and unprofessional as he was, better to get it out on the table so you know not to waste your time...Or get further aggravated (at the appointment).

I have to think a lot of this is coming down from the Federal Gov't level....Our health care system in general needs an overhaul and more specifically, pain management.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-16-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Closed Thread