It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Oxycontin -have a question

Hello to all of you and I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you!

After my "sad" experience with Fentanyl patch, my PM put me on:
20 mg every 12 hours of Oxycontin as LA
15-22 mg of BT when needed.

Now he increased to 20 mg every 8 hours of LA Oxycontin and BT is the same.

While on such dose of LA i still need my BT meds. I have pretty good pain tolerance so does it mean that Oxy does not work as well for me as Percocet used to work? I used to take 20/650 of Percocet as needed and it really worked better on me than Oxy pain wise.

Is it possible that Oxy does not give me a good pain relieve without taking BT 2-3 times a day??
My dream is to cut meds as much as I can, but my body disagrees with it due to severe pain. I just worry if such strong meds like this one does not give me a relieve- what is next? And how come it works on some wonders and not on me? Maybe because I am on different kind meds for 3 years already?

Please, advice
Thanks in advance and all the best to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
(male)

gregar HB User
Re: Oxycontin -have a question

Hi Moldova!

I've been taking Oxycontin for almost 2 months now. I need to take 30mg's 4 times a day for it to work for me. It's almost like the second release of the medication isn't getting released (if my understanding on how it works is correct , once within an hour of taking it and again within 5-6 hours). And to be honest it still doesn't knock the pain down under 3-4 most of the time. I still stay away from BT meds unless it goes up to 6-7 which isn't very often.

I'd talk to my doctor about it but he's already said if this doesn't work for me than he would need to refer me to a PM doctor that does nothing but medication management and to tell the truth, I don't want to have to go through everything I've done with my GP to get to this point again, so I bear with the oxycontin not working as well as I'd like. You may want to talk with your doctor, different pain meds attach to different pain receptors (again if what I've read is true) and so one pain med might not work as well as others do for you.

I personally would like to go back to the patch. It gave me the best relief from pain but it caused a bad rash and the Mylan brand made me very sick and didn't help with the pain at all.

Last edited by gregar; 05-16-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Moldova, I used to think that my 20mg Oxy was a high dose and it kept me from accepting an increase that my PM kept offering. He finally asked me why I didn't want the increase and I told him I didn't want to find myself in a place where I had nowhere left to go at say, 50. (I'm 46) He actually chuckled a little and said that I was on a much lower dose than I thought, and I had much farther to go, before I maxed out my Oxy doses.....years, in fact.

So, it really isn't as high a dose as you might think. And by increasing your LA meds, to the appropriate level, you can actually take less BT meds. As far as my PM is concerned, it is a much better way to go, and I finally agree.

Hope this helps. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I would give it some time. I have only been on oxy for a few months now but it does work as well as the other junk they gave me.
Fred

Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Thank you for your posts, means a lot to me.
I am taking this combo for almost 3 month by now and I think if it would work - it would work by now.

Girl, I agree with you about the dose: 60 mg a day may not a high enough dose for me. I will see my PM on Tuesday and will find out what he wants to do.
I take BT not by choice, but because I can't take the pain higher than 6-7 with LA and I don't want this to rule my life. When I am in too much pain it takes too much off me and I can't enjoy to leave somewhat normal life. I don't want to be in bed all the time. So I have to take it. Funny how long i fight with myself before I take it... Have to say I don't always win

If I take Percocet as BT (20/650 or 10/325 depends on pain level) works so much better than 15-22 Oxycodone BT. Where is the answer? Who knows it?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Moldova, I found that even when he upped my 20mg to 3x/day, I was able to take 1 less BT. This time he's increasing to 30mg 3x/day in the hopes that I can eliminate another BT or more. I think it will really work. He said I might still have to take 1 or 2 BT a day, but I'm taking 5 now, and like you, the fewer pills I have to take in 1 day...the better.

Good luck with it. I really think it's a good move for both of us!

Blessings and Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Moldova, I also want to add that you need to give the dose a couple of days to stabilize because I believe you just went up, correct? Your blood plasma levels need to build up. ( I am so smart, I have been to the Executor school!!!).

Old 05-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Thank you all!
Diet, i was in school with Ex also - do I remember you? LOL

You are right about waiting. He just increased the dose so I guess body needs to adjust to it. I hope it will, because today I took 2 BT already even with increased dose.
Best wishes...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Moldova- Sorry you've having these problems....Did you by chance read my post to Izzy yesterday under the thread "How Can I Have Wd From Hydro And Not The Patch?".....Much of that information relates to you (I think). All of your meds are Oxycodone, thus, your receptors are saturated with it. Every case is different, but many have found that a diverse mix of meds usually works better than just one med (for chronic pain).

I think the reason you were getting better relief from the Percs is because: (A) Your overall Oxycodone tolerance wasn't as high then, thus, it worked better in general (the 24/7 exposure to Oxycodone has significantly increased your tolerance)

and

(B) You were taking another LA med as the base med so the Oxycodone (in the percs) hit different receptor points.

Hope all this makes sense. Feel free to bounce me back and we can discuss further if you'd like.

Hope you feel better.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-16-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Moldova,
I think that I have the answer for you about why the Oxycontin does not seem to work as well as the Percocet does. The reason is that it does not have Tylenol in it. The Tylenol helps the oxycodone to work better. The two working together does better than just the oxycodone alone. I hope that makes sense.

Also, I am not sure if you realize this but you will "feel" different from the Oxycontin than the Percocet. The Oxy will release more steadily and last 8 hours as opposed to the Percocet which will kick in after 1 hour, max out at 3 hours, and then drop off quickly. Many people think that they have to "feel" the medication kick in for it to be working for the pain. I am sure you already realize this, I just wanted to reiterate it just to make sure. The true measure of a pain medication working is to ask youself "what exactly is my pain level at this moment?" That will allow you to know when and how much to take. I hope this helps.

brian

Old 05-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Ex, Brian! How are you both doing? Are you feeling better? Your meds working for you?

thank you much for your responds. I have such a terrible day today; so much pain from neck to my toes. Not a spot on my body where I don't feel severe pain.
I went for PT today, DR called my hubby to another room and told him to take me home b/s i look very sick and in a lot of pain. She does not want to be responsible if something goes wrong.
She told me to talk to my PM about meds and I am glad I have tomorrow app at HSS with him, so I can discuss this matter.

I know one thing: I am in so much pain with 20mg every 8 hours of Oxy as LA and than BT as needed. I know for sure that 60 mg of LA has to help somewhat. I don't mind to take 1 dose of BT of Oxy (15-22 mg) a day, but why do I have to take 2-4 times of BT and still feel pain? Why i don't have at least one day just on LA?? I don't feel any relieve from it, to be honest with you.
A little frastruated to be honest with you.

Thank you again!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Hi! First of all, what does this mean? (I take Percocet as BT (20/650 or 10/325 depends on pain level) works so much better than 15-22 Oxycodone BT. ) I don't get the 15-22?

Anyway....I remember when I first started oxycontin. I was so scared that it was this dangerously strong drug, that I made sure someone was with me to be monitored, and I prepared myself for strange side effects, ect. Then...........Nothing Happened!
I couldn't even tell I had taken it! And I am not talking about it "kicking in."

It was not until I found out how oxy worked, that it made sense. You generally take 20mgs of percocet for pain, and that works for you. Well, taking 20mgs of oxycontin is actually a DECREASE to your body.

Oxycontin 20mg releases 10mg of oxy within one hour, then another 10mgs roughly 6 hours later. (This mechanism works differently for many, hence the popular every 8 hour dosage versus the every 12 hour dosage that was originally intended.)

If this is not working for you. I would suggest an increase to oxycontin 40mg, which will give you two doses of 20mgs, which seems to work better for you. I hope this helps some! Talk to your doctor is this continues to be a problem. I personally think you have given this regimen more than enough time to work.

Good Luck! Keep us updated!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 05-19-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
I know one thing: I am in so much pain with 20mg every 8 hours of Oxy as LA and than BT as needed. I know for sure that 60 mg of LA has to help somewhat. I don't mind to take 1 dose of BT of Oxy (15-22 mg) a day, but why do I have to take 2-4 times of BT and still feel pain? Why i don't have at least one day just on LA?? I don't feel any relieve from it, to be honest with you.
A little frastruated to be honest with you.
Because if you've been on this schedule for a while, it has become your "set point" or baseline. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. To be honest, it sounds like you may have somewhat of an unrealistic expectation. I know if a perfect scenario, it would be nice to take a LA med and very little BT, but that isn't always possible. Most long term chronic patients need BT meds every day....But, some days are worst than others.

However, only you know how you feel....So, if you are truly miserable then you need some type of adjustment. I do feel, however, that mixing meds is better than loading up on one med.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 05-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Moldova, I think based on what you were taking before, the Oxycontin the doc started you on is a pretty low dose. That being said, Ex is right about the fact that even though the literature may say that long acting meds should be enough, the reality is that BT meds are needed by the majority of pain patients, every day. My PM said, that no matter what dose of Oxy I am ever on, I will always need at least some BT meds.

It is because we take the meds so that we can feel enough pain relief to function, but when we actually function or are active, we aggrevate the pain. So it is kind of a vicious cycle. But, unfortunately, one that we can't do much about.

I'm sure when you see your doctor at HSS, and explain that it is not working well, he will work with you to get you to a dose that can get you to a more functional level. Good luck. I will say an extra prayer that all goes well. Sending you hugs, CMP/MM ((((Moldova))))

Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
(female)

shady93 HB User

I too have had Oxycontin at one time. It started with a low dose then it got higher and higher and before I knew it, my tolerance level maxed out and the drug wasn't effective anymore.

I was then given Methadone tablets. Yes, this is the drug they give Heroin addicts for detox. Needless to say I was a little bummed because of the stigma attached to it. I do have to say that this was the answer for my pain. I have been on this med. for over 5 years and doing well. Just don't take more than prescribed! I have an L4 L5 bulging disc with sacral degeneration.

Closed Thread