It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Pain Update

Since several of you have been asking, I thought I would start a new thread. My pain continues to be quite high. What troubles more than anything is that my pain is now in my upper back to the shoulders which is normally not a problem for me. My problem area generally is my lumbar area with nerve pain down the legs into the toes.

When my primary gave me my refills earlier this week, he feels that my problems in the upper spine area direct result of me leaning to the left. He feels that whatever I did when I slid those potatoes into the oven that something happened and it is causing me to lean even further than before the potato incident.

I am due to get my results next Friday at 3:30 in the afternoon and personally it is not a moment to soon.

My primary care does not want to adjust my meds anymore and wants me to stay where I am until the finally results are in. I think he is concerned about me having to go back into surgery as I am too.

My pain runs from a 6 to 9. I am having a difficult time keeping it all together emotionally and physically. I am falling asleep at the weirdest times. Today I fell asleep and my 10 year old told me to go lay down on the bed and I slept for 2 hours. I can fall asleep standing up at this point. My husband says it is because I am not sleeping well and I am just physically wiped out.

All I have to say is that I have been thru alot with my spine - 4 surgeries already - and this pain into the upper back is NO FUN!!

Thanks for thinking of me and praying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Pain Update

Sorry to hear about your pain. I truly hope things get better.

I thought you were seeing a PM Doc in NOVA? Your primary is treating your pain? It almost sounds like he wants to verify your results before adjusting your meds. If you're in pain, you're in pain...Who cares what the test shows.

What meds are you on now?

Hang in there best you can and don't try to do too much.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 05-16-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Pepper, I am so very sorry you are having pain levels that high. That is tough to deal with & I can see why you are tired. It is hard everyday to try to stay on a routine or to be motivated when you are dealing with pain. I truely hope that you can find some relief from that pain soon. I can't tell you or any of you that have the younger children how much I admire you. I often wonder what I would have done or how I would have handled this cp if my kids were younger. My youngest is 15 & these last couple years have been difficult but shes abit older. Bless you.
I must tell you I was walking through the nursey to pick up a couple garden plants for a friend. Of course I was thinking how I wish my life was more normal & wondering if I would be able to work like I use to & so on.... Well I came a little plaque on a stand that you can put in a plant & it caught my eye, It said
"I am bigger then anything you are facing" Love God, From John 16:33. I stopped & stood there & felt god was speaking to me, I have been having alot of days of being unsure & scared. Of course I bought it & the last one for my sister in law who was stopping by. I handed her it when she arrived & she looked like she was going to weep. She said "Of all days, how did you know I needed this" She was having a pretty tough day. Anyway I decided to try to remember those words everyday when opening my eyes & I wanted to share them with all of you. At times I just forget. I will keep you in my prayers, Sammy

Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Oh Sammy, how touching!!! I want this plaque. I love how the LORD talks to us at times in our life when we need it. This was truly a miracle at work.

It is very hard with my children. There are times I just need to cry to let it out so I have been going and sitting in the bathroom or hot tub and just letting it out.

Exec, I have the stupid insurance company that believes your primary should be the one writing your scripts but you have to see a pm doctor who guides him. My doctor is very compassionate but I think he really does not feel comfortable giving me a high doses of medication. He mentioned that sometimes we can overdose unintentionally.

Oxycontin = 60 mg.
Percocet = 10/325 mg. - no more than 2 per day
Cymbalta = 60 mg.
Soma = 250 mg. 2 x daily - I only take this at night because I have to function i.e. homeschooling children

There is no doubt that he believes my pain. He has seen me at my worst. Last time I saw him, he was testing my reflexes and put my socks on because I could not do it myself. He has told me that I have had a rough year. I think it is a matter of not feeling comfortable writing the script. He did temporarily up my meds for one week but made me promise that someone would be with me and check on me.

I can wait until this Friday and see what their plan is but I suspect I will be going for another opinion which my primary has said he will write for out of plan. I am going to address a referral for pain mgmt too. I think, its time that I see one.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Pepper,

I am sorry that the pain is at that intensity! I truly can relate to that. I swear that I really do not even get the 6's very often anymore.

I am with Sammy I admire all Moms and Dads on this board. I honestly don't know how you cope. I could not even imagine being a parent in this condition.
Sammy that is a touching story. I believe that God works through many avenues and people. I can't tell you how many times I have had that exat thing happen to me. It does warm the heart. It is as if the Lord is looking down upon us and saying I am hear for you! Simpley amazing in my mind.

Pepper I do hope that you will get some much needed relief. Not sleeping well at night does start to wear on you and make the pain worse. I have issues with sleep myself.. Last night I got up at 2:30 am and washed the dishes. I went backt to bed and then was up again at 5:30. When I sleep sometimes I will get woken up by the pain and cry myself back to sleep.

It seems like I really run out of gas by 5-6 PM. The 2 times of day that I start to get drowsy are around 2:00 PM and then again aroun 5-6 after dinner.

Hang in there Pepper. I will keep you in my prayers...

Chrissy

Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Like everyone else Pepper, I'm so sorry you are suffering so much. I can relate to the upper back pain. That is were all my problems started. Now I have tingling/numb fingers on both hands to go along with the neck, upper back, shoulder, elbows, mid-lower back, hips[just added] knees and feet. I think I'm falling apart. In some ways Pepper you are lucky to have the kids around. They might take your mind off some of your troubles. I am a 56 year old widowed person with a son in Iraq and a dog here. If it wasn't for my LORD I would not be here. HE gives me the strength to go on and do what needs to be done.
I just got an idea. At 6 pm Eastern day light savings time this evening, I'm going to stop whatever I'm doing and pray for everyone on this board. I encourage you all to join me.
Fred

Old 05-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
Exec, I have the stupid insurance company that believes your primary should be the one writing your scripts but you have to see a pm doctor who guides him. My doctor is very compassionate but I think he really does not feel comfortable giving me a high doses of medication. He mentioned that sometimes we can overdose unintentionally.

Oxycontin = 60 mg.
Cymbalta = 60 mg.
Soma = 250 mg. 2 x daily - I only take this at night because I have to function i.e. homeschooling children

There is no doubt that he believes my pain. He has seen me at my worst. Last time I saw him, he was testing my reflexes and put my socks on because I could not do it myself. He has told me that I have had a rough year. I think it is a matter of not feeling comfortable writing the script. He did temporarily up my meds for one week but made me promise that someone would be with me and check on me.
It is such a shame that you have to suffer like that....Especially given where you live. Some of the finest PM Docs in the world within an hours drive of you. Insurance companies only care about themselves. What is the name of your carrier? I use Anthem (same region as you) and I don't have this issue.

It definitely sounds as if you GP is caring, but with all due respect, just doesn't understand PM....Specifically, tolerance. Yes, your meds are a decent level....But, for someone who isn't opioid tolerant. For those who are, it's nothing....You have a lot of room to move. And, it would probably help your pain....A bunch.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Ex

Old 05-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthr Itis View Post
. In some ways Pepper you are lucky to have the kids around. They might take your mind off some of your troubles. I am a 56 year old widowed person with a son in Iraq and a dog here. If it wasn't for my LORD I would not be here. HE gives me the strength to go on and do what needs to be done.

I just got an idea. At 6 pm Eastern day light savings time this evening, I'm going to stop whatever I'm doing and pray for everyone on this board. I encourage you all to join me.
Fred
Fred, I am blessed to have my children and truly they are what are helping me keep it together. I think homeschooling is very hard right now but it does help me focus on something else besides for my pain. Mind you we learn from many crazy positions. We learn in the hot tub, we learn on the floor with my legs bent on the couch, etc. My children think it is cool that we study in the hot tub. LOL

I am so sorry you are alone. I wish you lived next door to me so that I could send my children over to help you out and to challenge you to a board game.

I will definitely be joining you Fred at 6 pm. Great idea.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Ex, I have Kaiser.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepper, I agree totally with Ex about the PM and the meds. I think you have a lot of wiggle room, where the meds are concerned. You do have a lot ahead of you, and I am so amazed by your perseverance and strength. My daughter was almost out of high school when I began my pain journey. To have younger children and be going through this, is so much more of a test of our faith and our strength.

Keep using that hot tub, not just to soothe your body, but to soothe your soul. Sometimes there is nothing better than a good cry. It really does release a good deal of the stress and pressure we all feel. I know you take the cymbalta, but has your doc ever talked about xanax or something like it, for the anxious feelings. It might actually help you get a better night's sleep, so you are not as tired during the day. The klonopin I am taking right now would be a bit too strong for you, if you haven't ever taken a benzo before, but the xanax is a good place to start. Just a thought.....

I'm going to join Fred today at 6 p.m. EDT, in a prayer for all of us here. I think it's a great idea. Take care my friend, I am here for you, as always. Hugs and prayers, CMP/MM

PS I answered your question about the boards in my thread.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
Oxycontin = 60 mg.
Cymbalta = 60 mg.

There is no doubt that he believes my pain. He did temporarily up my meds for one week but made me promise that someone would be with me and check on me.
Guess who is back again??? ummm me How many times per day are you taking the Oxy, is it 2, 3, or 4 times/day. That is a relatively low amount considering how much pain you are in. I know you have considered Methadone before but I think it is really time to try it for real. Of course your Primary doc is not going to prescribe it but you could mention it to him. My pain has been worse the last two weeks. I let the pain get ahead of the meds and when that happens, it is dam* hard to get it back under control. It's like the pain and the meds are in a race together and when the pain races ahead it starts to win.

I really do agree with everyone else that you need to get to a PM doctor to be treated appropriately. I don't remember but have you ever been on the patch before? It is pretty good for me. I know that I have reached my limit on the meds because I can't deal with the side effects if I try to go any higher. I will try to pray for you that you find some relief

brian

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Brain, thanks for responding and it is good to see you posting. I have missed chatting with you. I am on 60 mg total a day. I take it around the clock every 4 hours 10 mg.

No I have not tried the patch. My doctor has talked about methadone and I think he is waiting to see if I am going to surgery or not before we do a big change. I think I am ready personally for a change and I need to gather up my courage and talk to him about it. I will be doing this soon.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi diet, thanks for the update I know you are in alot of pain and suffering alot and just wishing for next Friday. The way i feel is there has to be some end to this pain for you, and I really do pray that you will get the answer you need. I really dont know how you manage to homeschool your kids...... I just find lately with my pain I just snap........ when I am doing the homework I have a very short fuse.......... and homework doesnt take that long ..... So my God I take my hat off to you. I know I loose it because of the pain, and I like you examine the homework sometimes sitting down on the armchair, can sometimes be the floor, or sometimes take the reading up and we lye on the bed !!! I suppose its whatever works for us. Diet take care and thanks for the update and I shall pray for answers. I will join with the others in the pray at 6, so I take it that is 11 O'clock for me. 5 hours difference or is it 6?
Take care, and those kids have one great mum.
Round1

Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

I highly recommend the patch...You may be pleasantly surprised. I had similar issues as you on OC, and one day went in and begged for a change....Been a god send ever since. You could keep some form of Oxycodone as your BT. As you've probably read in other threads, mixing meds is often the best way to combat pain...It attacks the receptors differently.

I will say this....I think the patch would be the easiest / lowest risk to try (vs Methadone). If the patch doesn't work well with you for some reason, you could go back, or go to something else with little to no fan fair. However, if you try Methadone, it takes a while to build up, and changing may be much tougher....It tends to grab on to you pretty good.

Hope you feel better.

Ex

BTW, I've never heard of Kaiser before. But, that may not mean anything.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You may know it as Kaiser Permanante.

To be honest I have a little bit of a fear of using the patch. One I love my hot tub and it helps me get thru alot of my pain. I use my hot tub at least 4 times a day. I also live in the pool during the summer. I can float on a raft for hours. Secondly, I have had serious reactions in the past and I worry about Fentanyl especially with what I have read and my dear friend experienced. Thirdly, I know I have mentioned it on the back board. My brother has been a cper since 1980's. He had back surgery and they nicked his sciatica nerve. He is on the patch as well as a slew of other meds. I don't like what I have seen with him. I can't judge his pain but he is 80% out of it and does not know what is going on around him. He is a hermit, sleeps his life away, has missed his children's life, and has given up on life. I do not blame the patch but psychologically I associate the patch with him and that he has given up on life. This is really hard to explain and I hope it makes sense.

Last edited by ms_west; 05-17-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Closed Thread