It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

kim46 HB User
Tough night last night - maybe someone can provide insight?

My back was pretty bad yesterday (it always is when it rains). I had a usual day - I didn't eat much (I generally don't) but I do have meal replacement shakes. I did a good deal of house work (scrubbing floors).

I went to bed exhausted, back hurting but I had used my 3 pain pills (10 mg percs) by 6 pm and I have rarely used an extra one (though I think I should have last night).

Anyhow the right side of my body began twitching and this is the side where I had the steroid shot. My leg just wouldn't stop moving. This went on for 4 hours. I moved to my kids' bed so as not to disturb everyone but it was constant tossing and turning but I couldn't stop it. Finally at 4:30 I took a couple of benedryl to help me fall to sleep and I slept until 6:30 and got kid off to school.

Do you think this could be because of the decrease in my pain meds from 4 10 mg vicodin to 3 10 mg percocet? Generally I used to take 3 vics and 2-3 percs a day but I am no longer taking the vics and the percs don't last for me - in 1 hour I am ready to take another. I take my meds as prescribed and I have no quality of life without them. Could it have been restless leg syndrome? Has anyone ever experienced this? I'ld take the back pain over whatever the heck happened last night.

Also, thank you to those who are replying to my threads and answering my questions. I am reading all of your threads but feel inadequte and not educated enough to provide much more than a hug.
Thanks in advance. I see the doctor tomorrow for another injection and I'll raise it with him. I hope this visit goes well - I think I have found a doctor who understands.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Tough night last night - maybe someone can provide insight?

My legs do this frequently and have been told it is simply the nerves. I actually have found that using ice on them helps them settle down. Why I have no clue.

I have also used biofreeze which I purchased on the compter.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

If it was RLS, 50mg benadryl should have controled it.

Have you considered asking the doc for a LA med, rather than having to take regular ones all the time.

They give you better pain control, and it is beter psychologicaly, as you arnt always looking att he clock hanging for the enxt dose.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
(female)

kim46 HB User

Thank you 123DietPepper and Aussie Juno. Thank you 123 for the idea of ice. I'll look up biofreeze.

AussieJuno I hope to raise a LA med with my PM and PT office tomorrow. The benedryl did help but I didn't think of it until 4:30 am and I was desparate. Tonight I've already taken 25mg and will take another 25mg of bene closer to bedtime. Please keep me in your thoughts that my PM doctor will agree.

Thanks again so much.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow. I hope your doc will be understanding and do the right thing for your pain.

Please don't worry about not knowing as much as some. We all start somewhere. And remember, no question is wrong or not important enough. This is one of the best places to learn and to share. And if you need hugs and support, you are just as worthy as any of us. So, please don't hesitate.

Sending you a hug, CMP/MM ((((Tarajb))))

Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

It doesn't help that you were scrubbing floors either! LOL. That certainly isn't good for backs! Rainy damp weather isn't good for sleeping for back people either. It sounds like you should have taken the extra pill and you have had a better nights sleep. It's something that you learn as you live with our backs....trust me, you'll get use to it as time goes one... keeping your legs elevated also helps. I sleep with a wedge under my feet to help..

Closed Thread