It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Muscle relaxer tolerance

I'm wondering what the experiences have been of those of you who take muscle relaxers for pain. I have been taking Soma 350mg, usually 2 per dayfor about a month, and was taking 1.5 tablets for about two months before that. Cmpgirl has said that she takes holidays from this, as one can develop a tolerance to it. I feel like I am already developing a tolerance to it. How long do holidays last, and how often do you do them? I have enough Skalexin samples for about 20-30 days, but my insurance doesn't cover this med, so I can't take it long-term. Flexeril doesn't work for me, so I don't want to take that. I was thinking I would take the Skalexin for about 4 days and then try to Soma again. Any thoughts or advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Muscle relaxer tolerance

My ENT told me that when you take a 6 month holiday, it basically re-sets the body to zero. But everyone is different though. Any break will help, however.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I would take the meds for the 20 to 30 days then go back to the soma. Then if it does not work I would call the doctor.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

You will certainly get tolotance/dependence on Soma (it is metabolised to the tranquiliser meprobamate in the body)

You could try swapping to chlorzoxazone for a few days (this is cheap and nonhabitforming) or or even change to it full time.

Depending on what you are taking it for, orphenadrine or cyclobenzaprine might also be useful options.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

For me, it is generally 6 months on another MR. I usually take flexaril during that time frame, but have taken just about every MR that is made, at one time or another.

The max dose per day, according to manufacturer's prescribing information is 350mg, 3x/day. So you are not at the max dose yet. I have heard of others who's docs have allowed this dose 4x/day, but my doc doesn't agree with that.

Aussiejono....Do you know any other names for the meds you mentioned as a possible substitute? I don't recognize them.

Thanks, CMP/MM

Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

chlorzoxazone = Parafon

orphenadrine = Norflex

cyclobenzaprine = Flexaril

Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
(female)

arkia HB User

Cmpgirl- I found it interesting that you said your doctor doesn't believe in the 4x a day Soma because my PM clinic doesn't use it period. They said "it is addictive" like I am not already taking 2 other addictive medications!!!

So far with my new PM I have tried orphenedrine, baclofen, and now cyclobenzaprine. I really don't find that they are that helpful. They take away the spasms, but not the burning/tight pain. The very first one they prescribed was Zanaflex, but my insurance doesn't cover it. For about 2 months before being sent to PM I had used Parafon and found it worked, but for some reason they don't want to use that one either.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I'm glad I asked. I thought it was a bit of quicker process. I don't have much experience with any of these meds, so all of the information is helpful.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
(male)

niap HB User

I have been perscribed all different kinds of mr...And I think the zanaflex works the best ....I dont wake up groggy in the morning and it realy takes away the spasms at night!Somas are very addicting so be very carefull.....Take care!

niap

Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

After my third neck surgery last month the doctor prescribed Elivil. My Rhuemy told me that valium is the same but longer acting. Anyhow, that is the only one that worked for me. I was then prescribed zanaflex in way low dose so I ran out of that one fast and had to take it with baclafen for some relief. I haven't found one that I would say works. I had used soma and flexiril in the past with no luck. Maybe I am not sure what a mr is supposed to do. I expect some relief in the tight muscles in the shoulders and neck. I had such a bad crick that I couldn't more my neck to the right and it hurt so bad I took a valium and it seemed to work. I tried the others earlier and they did not work.

What are some other types of MR?

OMG when I took the zanaflex I had the driest mouth ever. It was very hard for me to take. I had to chew gum all day long. I guess that is one of the side affects I got.

Closed Thread